BluRay Music Video Poll AC/DC - LIVE AT DONINGTON [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray disc of AC/DC - LIVE AT DONINGTON

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• acdc front.jpg
    acdc front.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 507
  • acdc back.jpg
    acdc back.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 515
This AC/DC disc made me think of a Herman's Hermits song, if you can believe that! The song "A Must to Avoid".

UGH. What a mess. First off, I have to admit that I'm not a big AC/DC fan. I don't know all of the songs, but I do know (and like) some of the hits. However, I do know a well produced Blu-Ray disc from something that should have stayed as a regular DVD.

First off, the "concert" is far from that. Sure, there is video of the band on stage singing and playing, but unless I've lost my sense of audio, it's not what I was hearing through my audio system. What I was hearing was pure studio sound, with piped in applause between tracks. Now, the sound was pretty good, in fact, the surround mix was a bit on the aggressive side, with the lead guitar in the right channels, almost center right. Drums in the center left, vocals up front, so in some respects the surround mix is a bit above your normal "stage" presentation. However, when watching the video, it just reminds me of an old early MTV lip-sync concert video. Sad for a 2007 Blu-Ray release.

As far as the picture goes, it's purely ho-hum. When I watch an HD disc, I want to go "Oooo, Wow!". When I watched this one I went "Oh, Why?" Why is this released in HD when it looks like your average DVD. Granted, there are some interesting features. For some songs, you can select a single band member, and watch them (in 4:3) throughout the entire song, but it just magnifies the fact that you're not listening to the soundtrack of the concert!

The great songs still rock, however, and you can crank them up of course. If you do buy this disc, I would suggest playing it when you are NOT sitting down and watching it. Let it play while you're doing something 'round the house, and you should be cool. However, as a BD demo disc, this is not the first one in the stack! :D

Your results may vary, but my vote is a 3!

The problem is that this concert is over 15 years old. I had this on laserdisc! Jon's comments are right on. I happen to like the music and kind of knew that this was a "Fixed audio" presentation. This would not have been my first choice as a trailblazer video for Blu-Ray. It looks and sounds like the DVD and that's not what we paid for. But since there is such a shortage of HD music, I'd still recommend it just so that your players can get some use. Like I said, I like the music and that's the most important part to me.

I'm hearing pure bliss on this one - the liner notes mention the original multitrack master transfer as well as it being mixed to 2-inch Studer/9-channel Aria System. It's already split opinion though and it does sound more clean than most concerts I own, even AC/DC included, but it's very discrete throughout which is a rarity for live presentations like this. Much more on the stage than front row. The visuals are great too - twenty six 35mm Panavision cameras makes for a pin sharp picture to match. AC/DC fans need this. 10.

I had this on laserdisc, then DVD and now Blu-ray. But reading this I realise I've never really looked/listened to the blu. It was just an 'automatic buy' when it became available.

I love this concert, used to get a fair thrashing on LD and DVD. I need to get this one out on blu so I can comment on audio quality. Never really expected much on video but if it was 35mm I've raised my expectations.

This disc is essential.

PQ has it's limitations for sure, but the content is amazing.

Kick ass.

I ordered it, as Mr. Spock posted it in the "listening now" section!
Wow....I'm overwhelmed!
What a big, fat concert with really good use of the rears (a lot of Angus!)
Thanks for that, Mr. Spock! (y):friday:

10!

I ordered it, as Mr. Spock posted it in the "listening now" section!
Wow....I'm overwhelmed!
What a big, fat concert with really good use of the rears (a lot of Angus!)
Thanks for that, Mr. Spock! (y):friday:

10!

I'm always up for hard rock, just ordered via Amazon, Blu Ray $21.00.

Back