Dan Hicks Strikin' It Rich QS CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I'm sure most folks know this once upon a time QS album is available on CD with the encoding intact, but I picked up the CD and last week and to my ears this sounds pretty darn good played back with DPLII (with those QS type settings applied). On "I Scared Myself" there is definite clean separation between the front/back left vocal and accompaniment, great surround feel on the whole LP. None of that "triangulation effect" that you sometimes get playing back stereo sources with DPLII. For those who are not familiar with Dan and the Hot Licks (probably all or most of our European members)...they are a bit of toungue in cheek humor with electrified country swing music crossed with God knows what else. I've always loved the album myself, so for $5 plus shipping I'll wear this out rather than the vinyl. If you've never heard it, give them a try...I have no connection to his 1970's Blue Thumb label, or whoever holds the rights nowadays. (y) John Svensson

I concur with the opinions of John. I bought "Strikin' It Rich" partly because I'm familiar with Thomas Dolby's cover of "I Scare Myself," and partly because I'll by anything SQ or QS encoded.
And it turns out that I *really* like this album! Dan Hicks will be performing near Washington, DC this May, and I hope to go see him.

J. D.

Just picked this up on CD and it pans out very nicely indeed in PLII Music (y)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 163
I have "The Most of Dan Hicks & HHL" which has a version of "I Scare Myself ". The sticker on it proclaims "Remastered for a swingin' new sound!!". Yes, they did a fine job. It also has 7 previously unreleased demo tracks. It certainly surpasses the recorded quality of "Last Train to Hicksville" and it sounds amazing on the Surround Master. However musically and lyrically I still prefer "Last Train to Hicksville". Another newer version of "I Scare Myself " can be heard on his 2000 album "Beatin the Heat". Another great album well recorded.

Back