Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudorren

[PLEASE NOTE THAT LOU HAS PASSED AWAY AND THIS DEMODULATOR NEVER WAS PRODUCED. LOU NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY FOR IT. THIS 2007 THREAD REMAINS AS AN ARCHIVE FOR MEMBERS TO READ]

Hello Everyone,

First, Happy Holidays to everyone and may the New Year have good things for all. As a gift to all the CD-4 fans I would like to report that the new demodulator design is complete and now in prototype construction stage. Starting with this posting I will describe the design in detail so that technical and non-technical people should understand. The papers are in PDF format and look the best on screen at 125%. They print at 100%. You will find them by clicking on the link http://www.johana.com/~johana/dorren [NOTE: Link is now dead]
Enjoy!

Lou Dorren

Hello Lou, your newest message is very interesting and wellcome especially for those - like me - who have collected a lot or some hundreds CD-4 records. Till now I am working with a Technics SH-400 and a JVC 1000, but I am further interesting for a new Demodulator, which can make a further high level of CD-4 quality and reproduction. Of course, for many this new item should be not too expensive. If this new CD-4 demodulator is available, I will inform further(more) the known Q-fans in our Quadro-Action. Together with the fans in this forum I will have hope, that there will be a worthwhile demand for those high quality Demodulator, which will give a new and sparkling live for our CD-4 gems.

Dietrich

Thanks Lou! Who would have ever thunk 30 years ago that we could read about a new CD-4 demodulator now?

Of course, reading about quad has always held a particular fascination for me.

Doug

Who would have ever thunk 30 years ago that we could read about a new CD-4 demodulator now?
...and that we would be reading it on an internet forum and not in Popular Electronics.:worthy
P.S. I may have to buy a Shibata cartridge since Lou never gave me the one he promised.:howl

Man, in the electronics world nothing would make me wet my pants faster than a modern, fully realized CD-4 demodulator. I mean, how cool would that be!

:banana:

This was intriguing to begin with. Once I read your bio, it became even more so. I am very interested. Will this be manufactured at some point?

Hello to Cai, Quadzilla, and ress4278,

The answer to your question is in the first download from the link!

Enjoy,

Lou Dorren

ps Second dowload to follow shortly.

I, too, am also interested.
Thank you for your innovations.

Is this were the line starts,thanks Lou for some great reading and keeping the hope alive.

Definitely count me in as well! Any way you can make the new decoder box look like a vintage demodulator box with dials and buttons and various gee-gaws?? hehe :D

Lou, I am sure this is way too early for this question, any ideas of price point. I just need to ask. At least a range, are we talking over a grand? With all these LPs, i would be interested.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the nice words.
Quadtrade, well below that number and it will include a CD-4 prime pickup cartridge!

Lou Dorren

Please put me on the list. This is an exciting prospect!

Back