Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt Barbara would have enjoyed it over my screams as my wife beat me with a marble rolling pin had I brought her home! (I have been using Jeanie to make her jealous for years.)
The Quadfather

I got mine from that seller, and it arrived in just 8 days from Canada to Florida. I haven't hooked it up yet, but it is so cool to open up a box and see that the unit has the hang tag on the knob (used to display the unit in a store), and the warranty cards. They even included low-capacitance cables for the buyer to use!!!!

Quadfather, you have my eternal envy as Barbara Eden has always been my female ideal since I became old enough to know.

I don't know what I would do if I ever met her in real life!

Everybody should see the Andy Griffith episode where she plays a manicurist (in fact, the episode is called "The Manicurist"). She is just incredibly gorgeous. As hot as she was in "Jeannie", she is even more so in that episode.

Doug

Yes, I did see the Andy Griffith episode. I also saw her in Harper Valley PTA. Yes, she was very hot! On Meeting Ms Eden, My conversation wasn't what I would call impressive. I said, "Ms Eden, I'm just an old fan. Could i get a picture taken with you?"
She said, quietly, "Yes, let's step outside to do that". I had let my professionalism slip and forgotten that I was in the studio while a live broadcast was going on. We, along with her entourage went into the newsroom and I closed the big soundproof door. A photographer had appeared and was snapping away, others who wanted their pictures made with her, when he started to move on, then she pointed me out and made sure that the photo was taken with me. That was an act of thoughtfulness that I would not attribute to the standard stereotype of a stuck up actress. I got the feeling that she is as nice as she had portrayed Jeannie. I then returned to the control room, my domain at WGXA knowing that I had procured a nugget of treasure (the photo).

Last edited:
Jrlinks, The 4DD5 is a fine demodulator. It is not just a stop gap measure. No one can legitimately say that Lou's demodulator will run rings around it, until they hear one! So far, Lou is the only one who has heard his demodulator. I certainly hope it does, but until then, I continue to enjoy my 4DD5, a fine demodulator. By the way, even though that demod has never been used, it will probably still have to be recapped. but no harm in trying it first.

I still laugh out loud during the "JudyJudyJudyJudyJudy" scene. Those writers were geniuses. And the acting talents of those three were just about as good as quad. :D

Say hey to Goober.

Doug

As of today, only one new 4DD-5 remains. It's probably worth picking up just for an unplayed 7" CD-4 demodulator adjustment record.

Maybe I missed something amidst all the fawning over Ms. Eden, but has there been any concrete news about Lou's demodulator going into production? It's been more than four years since this unit was announced, and nearly four years since Lou began soliciting potential buyers.

Several people on this and other boards that I know have tried to leave him messages through the boards - none of which he has logged into since before Christmas - and the few that have his offline contact info have tried to leave him messages that way - to no avail.

It was posted earlier that perhaps there were problems with the stylus tips/cartridges being completed to go with the demodulator...If it is possible, I would be glad to purchase the demodulator alone since I have a great cartridge/styluses already...Is that a possibility JON??Have you heard anything from Lou lately??Let us know and thanks!!

Mike in Nashville

It is now really a disappointed situation with the Dorren Demodulator. I think, a development, which needs more then 2 years is endangered, that the the project will not be finished. For himself, each can take also 10 years or mor for his private hobby, but he has reported to the fans, that he is building such a new demodulator for them and has given rises for hope and enthusiasm. I have arranged for him the retipping of 2 Pick ups from Grado with best results, as Lou has mailed. He has asked me, if the retipping man could also retip 400 Grados. Also that was possible. But no further Grados was send. So a time of around 5 years is absolute too long. I have written him a year ago with e-mail, that I have my doubts and in such long times of development can take place always situations, which could stop the project - may be technical difficulties or unfortunately also by health. Or there is an possibility of an earthquake in the area of San Francisco (where he is living) and the prototype can be damaged. One of the first both situation must be the reason, because we don't hear nothing from him since 7 monthes. I think, this demodultor is further on only a dream of us. Most of our fans here don't meanwhile belive, that there is hope, that we could built in such a new Demodulator in our equipment rack. May be, that we will receive in some future the reason, why the wellcome project has stopped. Or the demodulator rises like a phoenix from the ashes. But wonders ar unfortunately rare. If Lou will read this message, he may now make a clean sweep of it.

Dietrich

While we dream on...and on for year to come..I have taken the reality route.
I have acquired a nice Technics SA 8000X (1974) only to use the built-in CD-4 demod.
(using the record outs, dummy resistor loads on the amps for safety)
So far, better than the JVC 4DD (i have 2 that actually work, 3 that don't).
Different approach, all discrete components, no ICs.
Separate controls for L/R carrier level, as opposed to the single ganged pots in the JVCs.
All controls on the front, no messing around with screw drivers in 2 different locations.

Back