Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I agree...Lou is brilliant and I am sooooo looking forward to getting my hands on "the magic box"
Got my QSI cleaner....informative read included as well!!!Thanks!
Mike

Hello Quadragraphers,

Sorry I have not answered till now but I had a bad reaction to all of the smoke fallout from the Northern California fires that rained a great deal of ash around here. I am however, back in the saddle again!

Quadro-Action,

Dietrich, The new demodulator has an ultra low noise and distortion phono preamp with a selector switch for the type of cartridge that you are going to use. It will far out perform the Denon an Kenwood preamps.

quad4all,

Whoever told you that info was far off the mark. The real fact is that the 450, 451, and 460 semiconductor Shibata styli have 3 to 4 times the playing life of any elliptical stylus. The are very robust and even survive abuse better.

TVB, Thanks for the kind thoughts.

To all who got your record cleaning kits, please enjoy. I have sent private postings with tracking numbers to those who wrote me. International Quad people should be receiving yours in the next4 to 10 days.

New info about the new demodulator project in the next post.

Lou Dorren

Thank You again Lou for all your work,cleaner arrived today and I will put it to good use in the morning.

Ken

I thought I would share my first experience with the Lou’s QSI Record Cleaner. A few months ago I purchased a bunch of used LPs at my local Half Price Books. Included in the bunch was the soundtrack from “2001: A Space Odyssey”. The record looked free of scuffs and scratches and I cleaned it thoroughly (using my normal method) before playing. It sounded horrible; excessive pops and distortion. At the time I thought oh well, a whole $2.96 down the drain.

After Lou’s record cleaner arrived in the mail, I dug out the 2001 LP to see what it would do. I had no idea if the vinyl was damaged or if a deep cleaning could help. I followed the instructions. Although very little “dirt” balled up on the stylus, there was a dull dusty film left behind on the surface of the record in some areas after the stylus passed over. After the side was done, I was not sure what do with the surface “dirt”, so I simply dusted it off.

I then re-played that side of the LP and could not believe the difference. The distortion was completely gone and the background pops were greatly reduced. The record went from virtually unplayable to sounding really good. Obviously this cleaning method is not going to remove scratches or repair damage, but in this case, a record that had been thoroughly cleaned using traditional methods was salvaged with the QSI cleaner.

Hmmm, I may have to snap up one of these cleaning kits! From the sound of it - it works!

What's the latest word on the CD-4 Demodulator?

I self like to order 1 Demodulator together with 1 cartridge/stylus and will do it in the special thread. I know, that there are some quadraphonic fans here in Germany and around who may also be interested, but don't own an computer and e-mai connection (like often by older people). So I like now - as sometimes before - to write around 100 people with a flyer about quadraphonic news - now about the demodulator. But I am afraid, that some have misgivings, that the price may have a too high value and a lot about their own finanzial limit. And when the first voting is binding to buy really one, this may give rise for trouble.
So my ask is: May Lou have at first "only" an interess to know, how many fans have a generally interess and will name or call as second step the calculated price for the (as excample) 1oo demodulators. And then ithe interesting fans can do the binding orders. If the first order is binding, it may be helpful for interesting fans to know the approximate price. Is this in the area by $ 500 ore more by $ 1000.-- ore between this values (or above?). Also would be interesting for fans withour e-mail possibilities, if they can order by a post-address?
Before I start activities, I like to receive an answer about my askings.
Dietrich

Hello to All QQ New CD-4 demodulator People,

Well here we almost are. The pre-production prototype is almost finished so now is the next part for all of you who are interested to participate in. I know that everyone is interested in how much the unit is going to cost. I can not give you that information without your help. The problem is that I don't know how many to build and that is where you all come in. If I can get a good number of units to construct I can give a final price.

Here is some information based on parts and assembly cost versus number of units so that everybody is up to speed. If I build:

1 to 10 units the price will be $758.00 per unit
11 to 20 units the cost will be $701.00 per unit
21 to 30 units the cost will be $664.00 per unit
31 to 40 units the cost will be $614.00 per unit
41 to 50 units the cost will be $569.00 per unit
51 to 100 units the cost will be$505.00 per unit

Each unit will come with a High Performance CD-4 Cartridge and a QSI Record cleaning kit.

With regards to the CD-4 cartridge, these are being custom manufactured and tipped for this project. The quantity here not only affects the price of the cartridge, but also can lower the demodulator cost based on the number of cartridges I purchase. As I pointed out the the Demodulator package comes with one cartridge. If spares are wanted by anybody this can reduce the overall prices. Additionally I need to know how many spare Shibata styli each one of you will want. They will cost $39.00 each. This is the ones price and will go down if enough are purchased. All the prices are within a ten percent accuracy at this time.

DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY YET!!! This is to determine the final cost to all who want one. I will build ten percent overage to cover damage replacement and any stragglers.

When the preproduction prototype is operational I am going to send it to Jon Urban. He will then check it out and give all of you and me a report on how it performs. At that time we will take the real orders.

One last thing. Jon has set up another thread for each of you to list how many demodulators, cartridges and styli you would like. I would like to have a good idea in 30 days. If you have any questions ask them on this thread. Questions and comments on the other thread will be ignored.

I want to thank all of you for your interest , suggestions and participation in this project. You are all part of it!!!

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Hello Lou, the information about the price-structure in association of the ordering numbers from the fans is very helpfull. So I can inform the fans here more exactly with a post flyer (not all have PC and e-mail connection). Some may order direct by the forums pre-order address, a few may name theire interess to me. Altogether I think, order namings during the coming week will be also in time. And I am also very curious, how many (around the world) will buy your demodulator. But for me is especially interesting, that I catch one! The order therefore is done.

Dietrich

Although I think, that a precise order has time by the coming binding order, I would like already say here (without producing an empty number in the pre-order threat), that I want beneth one demodulator also the pick up and the second stylus plus the QSI-kit.

Dietrich

Here is some information based on parts and assembly cost versus number of units so that everybody is up to speed. If I build:

1 to 10 units the price will be $758.00 per unit
11 to 20 units the cost will be $701.00 per unit
21 to 30 units the cost will be $664.00 per unit
31 to 40 units the cost will be $614.00 per unit
41 to 50 units the cost will be $569.00 per unit
51 to 100 units the cost will be$505.00 per unit

Each unit will come with a High Performance CD-4 Cartridge and a QSI Record cleaning kit.

Lou Dorren

With the amount of people flagging their interest, I guess the price will be closer to $500 than $750. This is a very reasonable price, I think, especially including a CD-4 cartridge. And it will be the best CD-4 demodulator so far, and I presume the RIAA-amp will be a very good one!
Well done, it seems, Lou!

RK

Hello to all the CD-4 Quadraphoners,

Thanks to all of you for your interest in the new CD-4 demodulator. Two items for your information. All new demodulators will ship with a new high performance CD-4 pickup cartridge. I see by comments that some of you have CD-4 cartridges and that is good. In order for me to guarantee the performance of the new demodulator, however, I have to ship a known quality system. This does not mean that your CD-4 cartridge will not function. In fact it should function very well. However, if it does not, you have a known cartridge that has been tested with the new demodulator. All cartridges will be 100% dynamically tested in CD-4 mode at all diameters to confirm performance.

Item number two is service kits for the new demodulator. I have not yet designed these. They will contain all critical semiconductors and a complete test and diagnostic procedure. You will need a basic knowledge in soldering and using a Volt, Ohm meter (VOM). If you don't have this knowledge the instructions should easily be understood by a local repair shop. The demodulator will come with a 1 year service warranty that covers parts and labor. After that time I will offer for a limited time a repair service who's rate is to be determined.

One more comment, the RIAA preamplifier will be the lowest noise, most accurate tracking system that is available, so get ready for great CD-4, Stereo LP and 45 RPM playback.

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Hi Lou...

A question...

Will the cartridge be pre-mounted on a head shell or will that be a necessity to purchase? And if I need to purchase one, where is the best place?

One more... how much is an extra stylus?

Thanks again for all the hard work. I am really looking forward to this.

Bob

Regarding the 2008 CD-4 Demodulator
and the use of other phono cartridges:

1. What's the maximum allowable (dB)
frequency response variation in the
20kHz to 45kHz frequency range?

2. What's the minimum required (dB)
channel separation in the 20kHz to
45kHz frequency range?

Any plans to sell the 2008 CD-4
Demodulator RIAA preamplifier section
as a separate unit?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Hello CD-4 fans,

Bob Romano,

The cartridge will mount in a standard shell. If you need an extra shell, I recommend www.lpgear.com and click on "Headshells&Mounts". Spare stylus are $39.00 which is the ones price. If enough are ordered the price will go down.

kfbkfb,

Kirk,

The sub-channel frequency response from 18KHz to 45KHz must be +- 3dB but has to have a Gaussian phase response. Minimum separation at 50 KHz is 5dB, however over the sub-channel band 15 dB or more is preferable.

With regards to the preamplifier as a separate item I would say not at this time.

Lou Dorren

Back