HiRez Poll Thompson, Richard - RUMOR AND SIGH [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Richard Thompson - RUMOR AND SIGH

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
Anyone else wish he'd do Mock Tudor like this?

Ee gads, what an awesome mix. The quality of the album goes without saying. Top-notch.
A friend of mine sent me this album on CD while I was in Basic Training in the Army. I had gone with him to an RT show. I guess RT was a hard sell for some other friends, as our outing to see RT was a momentous event for my dear friend.
Of course, you can't listen to CDs in Basic Training... The drill sergeants punished the whole platoon by blasting the final track, "Psycho Street," on a boom box on full blast, in a locked room, for about three hours. Half the platoon hated me and the other half thought I was royalty before the torment of Psycho Street on loop was over...
I was given the CD when I graduated... It became a favorite album.
Around 8 years later I learned my friend had chosen to end his life by throwing himself off an overpass in to the windshield of an on-coming car. Nobody had any idea of the pain he was in...
Life is short and precious. I love each of you QQ members I interact with. Many blessings to you this year. In the hard times, keep your chin up. Or reach out to someone.
Life is sooo precious. Our every moment. Whether listening to a superb surround mix, taking a shit, fucking a lover or commuting to work.
Don't take a single moment for granted.
YOLO/YODO

Snood finally got around to listening to this after having it for a few months lol

While Richard is not my favorite artist this is still a koo disc. Some tunes on here are just not 5.1 shiney tunes like "52 Vincent Black Lightning" and "God loves a Drunk" , but still sound fine while other tunes like "Mystery Wind" (AWESOME played it 3 times in a row) and " I Feel So Good" shine big time in 5.1, along with many others.

The 5.1 mix probably an 8 to 9 on the best tunes............altho Mystery Wind alone was a 10 to me

The content. Loved the Lyric screens, not my fave artist but still some koo awesome tunes.........maybe an acquired taste to some. The voice does take some getting used to............but Snood gonna base this on the 5.1 mix alone.

8.5 for surround, certainly its not mind blowing other worldly surround like say Pink Floyd, Roxy or Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls - but for what it is - it works and is very well done.

If was gonna take my taste in music included...........7.5 for the tunes and a 9 for the mix............but Snood no vote that way. Just because an artists tunes might not be my cup o tea - this is all about the 5.1 for Snood.

Mix gets an 8.5 rounded up to 9

So a 9er it is......... based on the 5.1

Do have one question........on the Discography page of the Disc.........it shows one by one a truncated discography and plays a short cut from one song on each......from Amnesia to Mock Tudor, while on Mirror Blue the song is in Stereo, I could have sworn the other cuts from the other albums were in 5.1, albeit very short snippets - pretty sure they were.

Anybody notice this or have more word on whether they had planned on releasing more of his stuff in 5.1?

Also loved the upcoming releases with Dreamboat Annie and one more that never saw the light of day grrrrrrrrrrrr:howl

Hello Everyone. My name is Steve Genewick, and I mixed the RT 5.1, as well as a bunch of other 5.1 titles. Thanks so much for the kind words, it was a long time ago, but it's nice to know there are folks out there still enjoying the music. Another member here was kind enough to reach out and let me know about this forum. Thanks for doing that Jonathan!

Steve G

Hello Everyone. My name is Steve Genewick, and I mixed the RT 5.1, as well as a bunch of other 5.1 titles. Thanks so much for the kind words, it was a long time ago, but it's nice to know there are folks out there still enjoying the music. Another member here was kind enough to reach out and let me know about this forum. Thanks for doing that Jonathan!

Steve G

Welcome, Steve! We're really delighted to have you here.

I need to get up to speed on your other work, but Rumor and Sigh is such a beautiful mix. If RT is an enthusiast, it would be fantastic if he could get control of his back catalogue and oversee new editions with 5.1 mixes, a la XTC. (But with Steve Genewick at the board, of course. First up: Mock Tudor!)

Thanks so much for your service to the music, and welcome again!

Thanks for doing that Jonathan!

No problem, Steve! Great to have you here!

As I mentioned to you via email, I LOVE the Crowded House 5.1 mix, one of my absolute favorite DVD-As! I also have heard the RT and Al Green titles, both excellent as well. They're all really hard to find these days, this one in particular commands some very high prices on the used disc market.

I do have a question for you, if you don't mind. One of the menus on the Crowded House disc shows a list of upcoming titles from EMI/Capitol on DVD-A, some of which came out, some didn't. I took a screenshot of it here:crowded house_sigh.JPG

I know it was a really long time ago, but were you involved with potential 5.1 mixes of either Dreamboat Annie or Surf's Up? If not, do you remember hearing anything about these projects?

Any information you have or stories about working on surround projects back when the labels were really pushing DVD-A/SACD would be so cool to hear :)

Maybe the mods can give you your own thread for members to ask questions, etc...

Again, so cool to have you here!

Last edited:

Steve G

Hello Steve!

Thank you so much for stopping by. The Crowded House & Richard Thompson DVD-A's are two of my favorite 5.1 mixes. You do wonderful work! I would certainly be curious to hear any thoughts you have about the experience of mixing these two DVD-As'.

I hope we will hear some more surround sound mixing from you in the future.

As the others above have said, I'd love to know if the Dreamboat Annie or Surf's Up 5.1 mixes were ever completed.

Steve G

Thanks so much for coming to the forum...if you don't mind me asking...what are you doing these days...any music projects or are you done with the commercial music scene...

Had to scrounge around last year to find this -- think the one I snagged was the last of RT's website at a regular price (it goes for 99.95 on it right now <gasp>). Wonder if that is an only copy. . . .

THE OLD KIT BAG is worth getting, too, although I don't see that for sale on his site (it's a dual disc cd/dvd). Prefer R&S, though.

Last edited:
No problem, Steve! Great to have you here!

As I mentioned to you via email, I LOVE the Crowded House 5.1 mix, one of my absolute favorite DVD-As! I also have heard the RT and Al Green titles, both excellent as well. They're all really hard to find these days, this one in particular commands some very high prices on the used disc market.

I do have a question for you, if you don't mind. One of the menus on the Crowded House disc shows a list of upcoming titles from EMI/Capitol on DVD-A, some of which came out, some didn't. I took a screenshot of it here:View attachment 36184

I know it was a really long time ago, but were you involved with potential 5.1 mixes of either Dreamboat Annie or Surf's Up? If not, do you remember hearing anything about these projects?

Any information you have or stories about working on surround projects back when the labels were really pushing DVD-A/SACD would be so cool to hear :)

Maybe the mods can give you your own thread for members to ask questions, etc...

Again, so cool to have you here!

I don't know anything about "Dreamboat Annie" or "Surf's Up". There are many reasons why some albums get done and some don't. Some of those reasons are technical, and some are financial. Not sure where these fall into.

Steve G

Hello Steve!

Thank you so much for stopping by. The Crowded House & Richard Thompson DVD-A's are two of my favorite 5.1 mixes. You do wonderful work! I would certainly be curious to hear any thoughts you have about the experience of mixing these two DVD-As'.

I hope we will hear some more surround sound mixing from you in the future.

As the others above have said, I'd love to know if the Dreamboat Annie or Surf's Up 5.1 mixes were ever completed.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can remember the answers too. Most of these titles were done a long time ago.

Steve G

Thanks so much for coming to the forum...if you don't mind me asking...what are you doing these days...any music projects or are you done with the commercial music scene...

I'm still a staff engineer at Capitol Studios, and I also work independently all over the world. I do mostly records, but an occasional film or TV project once in a while. You can check out my website stevegenewick.com , it's pretty up to date.

Steve G

I'm still a staff engineer at Capitol Studios, and I also work independently all over the world. I do mostly records, but an occasional film or TV project once in a while. You can check out my website stevegenewick.com , it's pretty up to date.

Steve G

Wait a minute...I have seen you on Rock N Roll Inventions haven't I?

Back