HiRez Poll Thompson, Richard - RUMOR AND SIGH [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Richard Thompson - RUMOR AND SIGH

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A from Capitol Records! (y):phones(n)rumor sigh dvda.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson and this is one of my favorite dvd-audios.

I'm not voting yet, but so far it's a 10 for surround mix and a 10 for audio fidelity. This disc is a showcase for a surround mix. It's very impressive. The music is actually very good, and varies in style from track to track. I'm really getting into the first few tunes, they're getting repeat play in the car.

I am not that "Richard Thompson" aware, and at times I think I'm listening to a Gordon Lightfoot album, but the lyrics are quite powerful and have great depth. I think I'll end up liking it a lot, but even after a few listens, I can see why fans of this album are so passionate. Add to that the incredible surround mix, and well.......................we're getting close to another freaking "10" here. :D

PS - I can't tell you how many times I passed over this DVD-A in the past, leaving it in the rack while buying something that I ended up only playing once or twice. Now I ended up paying big bucks for it and not regretting it. Damn! :mad:@:

Richard Thompson's body of work is largely undiscovered treasure.

Go back and have a look at his solo appearance on the Sessions At West 54th Volume 1 DVD; he shows so much intensity & finesse as a writer, singer and especially as a guitar player.

I just realized that I had the CD "Beat the Retreat" which is some sort of tribute CD, and I used to play that one a lot.

Excellent disc on all fronts . Often start with this and then his 100 Years of Popular Music concert dvd .

Great stuff !

~M~

Richard Thompson's body of work is largely undiscovered treasure.

Go back and have a look at his solo appearance on the Sessions At West 54th Volume 1 DVD; he shows so much intensity & finesse as a writer, singer and especially as a guitar player.

Yes, indeed. I saw him at the San Diego HoB a couple months ago. His stage presence is full of warmth and humor, and his guitar playing nothing short of phenomenal.

"Rumor and Sigh" is one of my favorite DVD-A discs for musical content, multichannel mix, and audio quality.

I'm an unrepentant RT fanboy from way back, so my judgment is colored; however, I think most hi-res surround hounds who give this one a listen for the first time will be more than pleased.

It's a 10+ for me :smokin

I'd love to vote on this one....if only I could find a damn copy.....

Never seen one in the flesh.

Exactly! That's the same boat I'm in.

It's kind of amazing that this format was such a failure that most of the releases sold every copy that were made. Can't believe the record companies can't see to run off some more discs. Seems like pure profit to me since all the real cost was spent long ago.

K

I was one of the fortunate ones to pick this up when it was readily available. I never passed it over because I was already a RT fan. In that sense, I may be biased, but this gets a definite "10" from me. 52 Vincent doesn't have much going on in the surrounds but man what a great presentation of that song. I really hope those of you that want this one can find it without having to mortgage your house or anything.

Micks Muse has a few sealed cut outs left at $84.99!! (for those who REALLY want one. Who knows what they'll go for in the future)

Micks Muse has a few sealed cut outs left at $84.99!! (for those who REALLY want one. Who knows what they'll go for in the future)

Thanks for the heads up. I visited the website and found this disc and Sinatra at the Sands. I took a deep breath and ordered both. I'd been looking for a LONG time without luck so decided to just do it. Long time R.T. fan so am looking forward to opening a home brew and spinning it.

I first became aware of Richard Thompson when I got into Fairport Convention way back when. The music from Richard's solo career is at times similar to Fairport Convention, but by-and-large it is quite different from the band he originally founded. I still feel that Richard's best work was done with Fairport Convention, but that's more of a stylistic yearning on my own part than anything. The fact remains that Richard Thompson is a consummate songwriter and guitar player.

"Rumor And Sigh" is a technically excellent album that is also very strong from both a songwriting and production standpoint. The album was recorded in 1991 without surround-sound in mind. However, the rich production of the original album allows for a nice "retrofit" surround mix.

The surround mix is very tasteful and suits the songs very well. The technical strength of the album comes shining through with excellent hi-rez fidelity. Overall, this is an exceptional disc worthy of nine strong points.

This surround mix is phenomenal. I know the original CD by heart (it's one of my favorites) and this hi-rez mix just blew me away. Anyone that's a fan of this classic RT album and surround should try to grab this disc.

Back