Music DVD Poll Roy Orbison - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD of Roy Orbison - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DTS DVD

I helped some friends of my boss set up their surround system, and this is the DVD that they had to test things. The mix is discreet, but I found it disconcerting to see guitars in front of me and hear them coming from behind me. I'm sure this would be enjoyable just to listen to, but watching and listening to it was somewhat unpleasant.

J. D.

I found it disconcerting to see guitars in front of me and hear them coming from behind me.
It is a typical Elliot Scheiner mix. A lot of members here seem to like this kind of surround mix, maybe because it's reminiscent of quad.

Very late to the party on this one...maybe because I've been jaded by seeing it every year during PBS's fundraisers! One of the best Surround DVD performances around in my book and a real lift after hearing it in stereo so often. The DVD-A with bonus cut is also excellent as could be expected. Gave a 9, and a plus if I could.

Spectacularly good, both on blu-ray and on DVD-Video. And I love the Elliot Scheiner mix.

Can anyone comment on the differences,if any, between the dvd and the dvd audio /SACD. I have the video but now have the opportunity to buy the dvd video and dvd audio. Package. Is it worth it or is the dvd video good enough?

I can really tell the difference with the lossless DVD Audio and SACD. The video is great, but lossy. The Blu-ray, however, is lossless and excellent - just like the DVD Audio/SACD. I think its worth it :)

Not a big fan of Roy, but my father in law gave me this on DVD-V (DD 5.1) quite a while ago (before I had a surround system!) so I popped it in..

Proving that the comments are spot on, it's a GREAT mix....
Although it's quite obvious that a technical process known as "cheating" was done...Ray's voice don't match the video in countless places; as with the strings , the drums, etc.

Still gave it an 8...

(lot of interesting people in the audience...Billy Idol????)

But where's the piano in the mix? Where are the vocalists I can see but not hear?

"You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.." :ugham:

Sorry for the derail...
You know?
That is my ALL TIME FAVE R.E.O. Speedwagon LP...
Bought a GREAT ORIGINAL LP copy several years ago...sounds GREAT!
They even played "Time for me to Fly" and "Roll with the changes" when I saw them (FIRST ROW BUT SITTING DOWN) back in San Juan in 1985 (???) with that classic line up....

Back to the thread..yes, there were a LOT of things that were/weren't there in the mix that don't coincide with the video...

Sorry for the derail...
You know?
That is my ALL TIME FAVE R.E.O. Speedwagon LP...
Bought a GREAT ORIGINAL LP copy several years ago...sounds GREAT!
They even played "Time for me to Fly" and "Roll with the changes" when I saw them (FIRST ROW BUT SITTING DOWN) back in San Juan in 1985 (???) with that classic line up....

Back to the thread..yes, there were a LOT of things that were/weren't there in the mix that don't coincide with the video...

Shame Quad flopped before REO reo-ally got into their stride.. still, I love the two old REO Pussywagon Quads (even if it is a different bloke singing from their late 70's & 80's big time money money phase, Lost In A D & This Time We M It are both lovely and rocky and funky and surroundy.. you know, all that good shit.)

Oh yeah, Roy Orbison 5.1, cryin' (cry-yy-ing) shame about those missing piano's.. The Big O didn't have a clue, it was too dark with his sunglasses on. That and he'd been dead a while, so it didn't really matter much. I'd have been fucked off if I was the pianist though (I said pianist! :eek: )

Funny, the longer I'm into this hobby the less nit-picky I get.. not least because the music biz is such a fuck up most of the time it's a miracle we get anything decent in surround at all. IMHO :smokin

Back