Lucifers Friend quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got through recording the Billingsgate titles and they are quad, regardless of this post. They are not double stereo and have moments of definition. I believe they used the very early encoders. Germans do not lie on labels. We had plenty here is the USA who would stretch it, encoding mono like everest. These pan well in the scope and light the tate up fine.

I've aquired a copy of this. yes, it say's it's SQ encoded, but it is actually the same stereo mix as the european release. Very dodgy marketing.

I've also tested the other two 'so called' quad releases on this label. Both are stereo.

Time to remove them from the list i think.

It would be interesting if you could:

1, supply details of how you determined they are quad

2, supply a track so they can be tested

as the "quad" versions i've tested are stereo

Oh, and never trust the germans, they do lie. There are a few albums out there that say they are quad that actually aren't

These aren't German pressings!! Yes, they're German bands. These titles were all released on German labels, though, curiously, none of those were Quad. Billingsgate was a short-lived Chicago label from 1973-74. I own the Neu, Lucifer's Friend, Frumpy, Scorpions and Epitaph releases. I HIGHLY doubt any of these were actually encoded in SQ. Yes, the albums claim to be. Not much of a mix if they are Quad. The jackets have nothing that in any way resembles an SQ logo, though the SQ verbiage is there. I think it was simply a ploy to sell more records. Billingsgate went bankrupt very quickly and these found their way to local cutout bins. This is a different record label from the Australian Billingsgate from the same time.

BTW: there have been some known liars in Chicago.

BG 1001 Neu! (1st Album) 1973
66719.jpg

BG-1002 Lucifer's Friend Lucifer's Friend 1973
lucifersfriend.jpg

BG-1003 Frumpy By The Way 1973
$(KGrHqJHJE!E88,mLmD4BPSfUvm4tQ~~60_35.JPG

BG-1004 Scorpions Lonesome Crow 1973
scorpions-lonesomecrow-billingsgate_p1.jpg

BG-1008 Lucifer's Friend I'm Just A Rock 'n' Roll Singer 1974
1425869.jpg

BG-1009 Epitaph Outside The Law 1974 (this one is supposedly recorded in Chicago)
ep3.jpg

QL: I totally agree. I've tested all of the Billingsgate SQ (Supposedly) albums and they aren't encoded. I don't just listen to them, i dig alot deeper. There is no phase information that would be expected if they were SQ (or QS) encoded

These aren't German pressings!! Yes, they're German bands. These titles were all released on German labels, though, curiously, none of those were Quad. Billingsgate was a short-lived Chicago label from 1973-74. I own the Neu, Lucifer's Friend, Frumpy, Scorpions and Epitaph releases. I HIGHLY doubt any of these were actually encoded in SQ. Yes, the albums claim to be. Not much of a mix if they are Quad. The jackets have nothing that in any way resembles an SQ logo, though the SQ verbiage is there. I think it was simply a ploy to sell more records. Billingsgate went bankrupt very quickly and these found their way to local cutout bins.

Neither of Philips (Lucifer's Friends, Frumpy) or Brain Records (Neu!, Scorpions), nor Babylon (Epitaph) released quad recordings. And never stated that on the cover or label.

-Kristian

You are wrong as usual OD. The LP looks like quad through the scope(told ya that last post) lights up the tate as encoded(told ya that last post)' so whatever you have may not be, this is. You have some sort of know it all syndrome. I have a Lonesome crow, original Brain recording, released on Billingsgate right about the same time as these, it does not say anything about SQ and does not do the obvious things to the magic boxes. I would bet bottom dollar, these LPs they decribe as SQ, they took whatever stereo master they had, ran it through a decoder in a mode to create a fake mix, and encoded that for their SQ mix. So it is SQ but sounds like a fake mix. Nothing different than a few others were doing at the time. Sounds like Silverline of its era.

QL: I totally agree. I've tested all of the Billingsgate SQ (Supposedly) albums and they aren't encoded. I don't just listen to them, i dig alot deeper. There is no phase information that would be expected if they were SQ (or QS) encoded

You are wrong as usual OD. The LP looks like quad through the scope(told ya that last post) lights up the tate as encoded(told ya that last post)' so whatever you have may not be, this is. You have some sort of know it all syndrome. I have a Lonesome crow, original Brain recording, released on Billingsgate right about the same time as these, it does not say anything about SQ and does not do the obvious things to the magic boxes. I would bet bottom dollar, these LPs they decribe as SQ, they took whatever stereo master they had, ran it through a decoder in a mode to create a fake mix, and encoded that for their SQ mix. So it is SQ but sounds like a fake mix. Nothing different than a few others were doing at the time. Sounds like Silverline of its era.

I tire of idiots like you. You think you know it all, and yet never prove anything. Your like all the other know-it-alls here. PROVE IT. Post it somewhere, and i'll test it.

I'm not a know-it-all. I forgotten more anout the quad matrix systems than you, otr the other, will ever know. Who is the ONLY person to have actually devised a system that accurately decodes SQ and QS. Not you!

My methods are more accurate than the Tate, which is limited in many respects. The problem is it has become 'the holy grail' and people refuse to accept it's limited.

I no longer care what you or the others have to say. This forum is not interested in furthering the knowledge of the quadraphonic systems.As i've said before, it's a clib for a few know nothing gods who have closed minds. There are others here with open minds, but they are continually put down.

Sorry Linda,i'm leaving this bunch of ****************** to you

I have a Tate decoder as well, and I've seen a fair number of stereo albums that show up on the display as decoding quad. Remember, folks, all stereo albums have at least some information on them that the Tate, and other quad decoders, can pick up on and deliver some multichannel enhancement. Maybe that is what was happening here. In any event, there is no call for putting anyone down on this forum. If you have a beef with someone's comments on the forum, take it private and don't subject us to it. Civility counts here, and there is no call for rudeness or name calling at any time here. Now, guys, shake hands and let's keep it civil from here out.

Here is the Lonesome crow # 1004. Lucifer was #1002.

100_9165-002.JPG

Here is the Lonesome crow to look out for in the record bins.

100_9236.JPG100_9237.JPG

P 1972 being the original recording date, and the fact it's vinyl, plus the verbiage "Dolby Stereo" rather than "Dolby Surround" would indicate it is Dolby n/r, rather than a surround recording.

Dolby stereo? That could mean two different things. It may be encoded for surround, or it may also mean the stereo master tapes used Dolby Noise Reduction.

P 1972 being the original recording date, and the fact it's vinyl, plus the verbiage "Dolby Stereo" rather than "Dolby Surround" would indicate it is Dolby n/r, rather than a surround recording.

But then it would be incompatible with every normal stereo equipment without a deadicated Dolby n/r system...

The original german Metronome Brain records weren't Dolby. Nor did they ever released this album in surround, be it Dolby, or otherwise. From when's this pressing? Eighties, Nineties?

-Kristian

But then it would be incompatible with every normal stereo equipment without a deadicated Dolby n/r system...

-Kristian

no it's not a dolby A encoded lp.....they advertised dolby stereo because they were proud to have recorded an lp using dolby A noise reduction on their tape recorders which was new for the early 1970's......just like lp's that advertised digital recordings on their covers in the late 1970's early 1980's

Here is the Lonesome crow to look out for in the record bins.

View attachment 7897/QUOTE]

Why would I want this one as opposed to the one that actually has a crow on it? Does it sound better? I am on the look out for this album at a reasonable price, but have avoided this one and the Bomb records version from Canada. I actually wanted the gatefold from billingsgate, vice the German Brain pressing. Is that the wrong choice?

Thanks QL! That is the last scorpions album I need to complete my set of them. Might as well pony up and make it an original German pressing. I just noticed I passed 500 posts, don't I get a cookie or something?

Back