King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I wonder what format? HiRez, one would hope.

Best 5.1 news of the year ? ^^
On a personal level, I never bought the KC catalog because I was hoping for that kind of thing. Let's hope for the best on this one !!!!!

Hmmm. King Crimson wasn't really a band that did a lot of overdubs. How would an album like "Discipline" be mixed for surround? Guitar 1 left, guitar 2 right, stick and lead vocals center, drums and backing vocals rear?

J. D.

I THINK YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING THAT WAS DONE IN 16 TRACK , they should be able to get a good 5.1 mix from that /trainman92

Wow! This is one rumour I really hope is true.

Hmmm. King Crimson wasn't really a band that did a lot of overdubs. How would an album like "Discipline" be mixed for surround? Guitar 1 left, guitar 2 right, stick and lead vocals center, drums and backing vocals rear?

J. D.

I'm not real familiar with "Discipline" (though I'm pretty sure I have the L.P.), but I have to disagree. Their first few albums had rich layers of instrumentation. Besides drums, bass, gutars and vocals, there were also keyboards, woodwinds, reeds, and mellotron. IMO perfect for the surround treatment. Even the more recent albums from the 90's on could work wonderfully in surround. A good demonstration of what the later material could sound like is contained in the 5.1 mix on their live video "Eyes Wide Open", which is NOT your typical live mix with only ambience in the rears.

I think Porcupine Tree fans can stand Steve Wilson's extended break if he's going to occupy himself with projects like this. I say bring it on!

Last edited:
I THINK YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING THAT WAS DONE IN 16 TRACK , they should be able to get a good 5.1 mix from that /trainman92

I'm fairly certain that Robert Fripp has said on more than one occasion that the multi track masters of "ITCOTCK" (which were 8 track) are lost.

J. D.

This is great news. I hope it comes to pass!!! Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixes have been excellent.

I'm fairly certain that Robert Fripp has said on more than one occasion that the multi track masters of "ITCOTCK" (which were 8 track) are lost.
J. D.

There were tapes that disappeard from the cupboards, but they may be back in action now. I'm thinking this because a corrected ITCOTCK was issued about 3-4 years ago. Previous stereo master was "damaged" on the RH channel and most all previous product was derived from using that tape.

J. D.

Seems king of clinical to build this kind of expectation. Discipline has so much tricky cross-picking and delays it'll be a show unto itself. There's every reason to believe these will be incredible ADVENTUROUS mixes, given the people and material involved!

:banana::banana::banana:

J. D.

There's much more to 5.1 than a different instrument in each channel.
ITCOTCK will be in-fuckin-credible in 5.1
Imagine how great 21st century Schizoid Man will be!

Discipline will also be excellent - there is a lot of stuff going on there.

I sure hope this ends up happening, there's so much potential in the KC catalogue for 5.1 mixes.

I think that Thrak will make a great 5.1 disc - there is so much going on in that dbl trio format.

Very good news indeed! With Steven Wilson involved, is it too much to hope for them on DVD-Audio.

21st century Schizoid Man in 5.1 - Wow!!!

:51banana:

What I hope is that every time a respected band with a strong fan following does something like this, it's that much more reason for the next one to do it. Despite the mixed reception to the Genesis boxes, perhaps they led to King Crimson making a 5.1decision, and who's to say who is next?

What I hope is that every time a respected band with a strong fan following does something like this, it's that much more reason for the next one to do it. Despite the mixed reception to the Genesis boxes, perhaps they led to King Crimson making a 5.1decision, and who's to say who is next?

HERE HERE !!! (y)

Maybe Jethro Tull? :rolleyes:

just dreaming...

Back