Tom Petty - Runnin Down A Dream

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just finished watching this documentary on Tom Petty, available at Best Buy and directed by Peter Bogdonavich.

At almost 4 hours I said to myself that I will never get through it all but I did and I am even a bigger fan now than I was at the start. This movie goes from the very beginnings of Tom growing up to the more recent incarnation of the band and highlights all the milestones and tragedy - from the days at MCA where he stood up for his fans not being charged a higher price on his latest record to his house being burned down by an arsonist to his bass player dying of an overdose and plenty more in between. I had forgotten all the turmoil that Petty has had throught his carreer. There are also testimonials from Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks (who wanted to join the Heartbreakers), Jimmy Iovine, Dave Stewart, Jeff Lynne, George Harrison and tons more. If you are even a casual fan I think you will find this film a great watch.

Also included in the box set (which was only $29.99) is a full length concert with great sound and all the hits. You also get a cd that is a kind of soundtrack for the whole thing.

Everything is 16x9 and in Dolby 5.1. It all looks and sounds great!!

I saw that in Best Buy the other day and realized I hadn't heard anything about it on QQ. Thanks for the review Bob!

I will have to go out and get this, especially after seeing they still sounds great at the Super Bowl.

Jon's post on the Petty Blu-Ray reminded me I hadn't reviewed this DVD box set. I second Bob's opinion - the 4 hours was all very watchable. It sounds good, a lot of good interviews from many people who had some contact with Petty during their career.

Also interesting was the sheer volume of video footage from the old days that is included. It's like they knew they would make it and have a Bogdanovich-directed documentary!

resurecting a 9 year old thread because the 30th Anniversary concert on DVD 3 in Dolby 5.1 is fantastic, as well as the documentary

Back