What are the Rarest** MultiChannel SACDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have the MCH version.
It is also out as a stereo only version as well but neither are hybrid.
Never understood why they did a few of them like that...
Stereo only and then a stereo / MCH edition.
There is a Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell, also I think Herbie Hancock's Headhunters is like that.
And if you get the Japan version of Headhunters, It's Stereo/MCH/Hybrid but
the Japanese version of Billy Joel's The Stranger is Stereo only.
You have to be very careful when picking them up off eBay or Amazon as
most sellers won't specify which one it is.

-B

Thanks for your reply, i was aware of the two versions. Is the multi channel any good, read a couple of mixed reviews ? I really love the album, but don't want to pay an inflated price, ( although, i know that impossible not to ! ) if it's not very good ?

Estefan in surround is great! A very active mix. Worth owning.

Thanks for your reply, i was aware of the two versions. Is the multi channel any good, read a couple of mixed reviews ? I really love the album, but don't want to pay an inflated price, ( although, i know that impossible not to ! ) if it's not very good ?

Estefan in surround is great! A very active mix. Worth owning.

I have to agree!
They did a nice job on it, and the music just hops!
I don't remember what I paid for mine... $14.99 at Best Buy a while back.
I tried to get a friend a copy off e-bay and it went for over $100.00 and it was stereo only!! Yikes!

I picked one up the other day (Estefan multichannel mix) and there is another one listed right now. Best of luck! Greg

Can anybody here hold their hand up and admit to spending say $100+ on a single OOP SACD or DVDA title!?

I'd really love to know just who is forking out hundreds of dollars on these things!?

Collectors? Dealers, looking to sell them on for a profit?

I sometimes wonder if some folks aren't buying these just to take them off the market -- and make their own copy even more rare!?

Sounds a bit perverse (and financially/commercially a bit dumb, at first) but if you think about it, if you had the spare cash and there were 5 SB SACDs there all of a sudden and you had just one, that's supposed to be so rare and hard to come by, wouldn't you snap the others up - in some kind of a bizarre damage limitation exercise.

Let's face it, we all have "back-ups". There are things I've got duplicates of that I'm scared to mention in public on here, I might get lynched..!

I still maintain there are sellers sitting on stockpiles of new & sealed (or cut out) copies of some of these SACDs & DVDAs that people pay such huge whacks of cash for, that they acquired for next to nothing in the first place.

Good business acumen.. but a bit shit for guys like us who mostly just want the music in surround!

I've bought a few titles for over $50, but I have never paid $100 or more for anything....I simply cannot rationalize that sort of expenditure on a single album with no real frills (e.g. a box-set).

Can anybody here hold their hand up and admit to spending say $100+ on a single OOP SACD or DVDA title!?

I'd really love to know just who is forking out hundreds of dollars on these things!?

Collectors? Dealers, looking to sell them on for a profit?

I sometimes wonder if some folks aren't buying these just to take them off the market -- and make their own copy even more rare!?

Sounds a bit perverse (and financially/commercially a bit dumb, at first) but if you think about it, if you had the spare cash and there were 5 SB SACDs there all of a sudden and you had just one, that's supposed to be so rare and hard to come by, wouldn't you snap the others up - in some kind of a bizarre damage limitation exercise.

Let's face it, we all have "back-ups". There are things I've got duplicates of that I'm scared to mention in public on here, I might get lynched..!

I still maintain there are sellers sitting on stockpiles of new & sealed (or cut out) copies of some of these SACDs & DVDAs that people pay such huge whacks of cash for, that they acquired for next to nothing in the first place.

Good business acumen.. but a bit shit for guys like us who mostly just want the music in surround!

It pains me to admit that I went $100 (or a bit north of) on the following:

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight
E. Power Biggs - Bach - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues

That's capitalism. I rationalize these purchases only because I've been able to sell many of my items for profit to offset these buys. I've definitely come out ahead. If I didn't sell things on eBay to offset the few high priced purchases, then I would not have bought them. It's funny how pretty much every sacd now is readily available "out there". But I am glad to have the actual originals versus sacd-r.

No, but I did pay more than $100 (taking shipping and exchange rate into consideration) for a mint condition Black Sabbath - Paranoid CD-4 Quadradisc.
The age-old supply versus demand scenario. Not many out there in mint condition, and one of my all-time favourites. You can't take it with you.

It pains me to admit that I went $100 (or a bit north of) on the following:

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight
E. Power Biggs - Bach - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues

That's capitalism. I rationalize these purchases only because I've been able to sell many of my items for profit to offset these buys. I've definitely come out ahead. If I didn't sell things on eBay to offset the few high priced purchases, then I would not have bought them. It's funny how pretty much every sacd now is readily available "out there". But I am glad to have the actual originals versus sacd-r.

totally agree on the capitalism front, etc.! and it's true, it's all swings and roundabouts!

that said, I've been very lucky, I got Violator for £12 and the Cardigans for less than £5, both new, both within the last 6 months, so these rarities are still out there el cheapo if you get lucky.

still, on the offset thing, I've had to fork out £50 apiece for the Avalon, Heathen, Legalize It SACDs in that same time, which is too much I reckon but it's all relative as you say and ultimately what these things are worth are down to the individual and market forces/supply & demand, etc..aren't they!?

was the E Power Biggs worth the $100+..? only it's on my "to-get" list.. if/when I can ever find it for sensible money!

No, but I did pay more than $100 (taking shipping and exchange rate into consideration) for a mint condition Black Sabbath - Paranoid CD-4 Quadradisc.
The age-old supply versus demand scenario. Not many out there in mint condition, and one of my all-time favourites. You can't take it with you.

when it's your favourite artists & albums (and when the official surround DVD release is so poor!) that seems worth it, even if it is still quite a lot of money for "just a record" in some people's eyes, it can be justified in so many ways, that's all valid if you love the Sabs yes!

totally agree on the capitalism front, etc.! and it's true, it's all swings and roundabouts!

that said, I've been very lucky, I got Violator for £12 and the Cardigans for less than £5, both new, both within the last 6 months, so these rarities are still out there el cheapo if you get lucky.

still, on the offset thing, I've had to fork out £50 apiece for the Avalon, Heathen, Legalize It SACDs in that same time, which is too much I reckon but it's all relative as you say and ultimately what these things are worth are down to the individual and market forces/supply & demand, etc..aren't they!?

was the E Power Biggs worth the $100+..? only it's on my "to-get" list.. if/when I can ever find it for sensible money!

I don't think it's capitalism at all. I think it's the personal price you put on having a physical copy of something. If these things are OOP, no matter where the money goes, it's not going towards the artist. All these mixes are out there on the internet anyway. I don't buy this ".....but EBay prices show the industry there's still interest" argument. There's plenty of stereo albums which fetch thousands that have never been reissued. If someone puts that much value on a physical copy of something, then more power to them. You'll never see me spending that kind of money on an OOP mix. I'd rather not have another jewel case of physical CD/DVD in my collection.

Too bad Sabbath never made any other CD-4s. I need to find that LP. I don't think there has been any multi channel version of Sabotage has there? On a brief search I saw that there was a Master Of Reality SACD. Is that it for Ozzy era multi-channel?

Back