OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proud to say I have a full blown McIntosh machine and my receiver is MX122. I am high right now so I will be a little bragging but my machine is really good.

I love this thread, there are so many beautiful old receivers to look at. I think the design of hifi electronics peaked in the 70's. And the guy with the model train tracks around the room??? Just awesome :)

Last edited:
For my 5.1 system in the front room, I use 2 Marantz 4400. One in stereo mode for the center and unpowered subwoofer. The other for the 4 corner speakers. Still need that 4 channel tape loop for the SQ,QS, Pop and click processor, tapes, etc.
For the record room, I use a Sansui QRX-6001. No center or sub, 4.0 quad only here.

vinylguy4

Hi vinylguy4,

I know this was a rather old post of yours, but I'm new to perusing around here and wondered how you use 2 Marantz 4400s connected to your source (dvd?, bluray?) that you wouldn't mind explaining in layman's terms along with any photos you may have? Please feel free to PM me if you feel this thread is too old to comment here.

Thanks in advance,

Veegoss

Hi vinylguy4,

I know this was a rather old post of yours, but I'm new to perusing around here and wondered how you use 2 Marantz 4400s connected to your source (dvd?, bluray?) that you wouldn't mind explaining in layman's terms along with any photos you may have? Please feel free to PM me if you feel this thread is too old to comment here.

Thanks in advance,

Veegoss

Use the first quad receiver just as normal for all things quad. You need to have everything digital decoded in the DVD/Blu-ray player and send the player's analog to the receiver, with the center and subwoofer output sent to the second quad receiver(just need a stereo receiver). Sorry, cannot draw a picture of my actual setup, was very complicated.
I have more recently changed everything, now the digital is decoded in a newer Onkyo receiver. I use dts-610 units to covert analog 4 channel or 5.1 to DTS and send the dts digital to the receiver.

vinylguy4

Sansui QRX 6001 and Pioneer QX646.
I use the decoder section of the Sansui to feed the Pioneer.

late to the dance for sure - almost 10 years.. I am buying a QRX 6001 and have a Pioner QX9900 - how do you "feed" the Pioneer? Audio our of the Sansui to audio in on the Pioneer? never thought of that - interesting..

Thanks

late to the dance for sure - almost 10 years.. I am buying a QRX 6001 and have a Pioner QX9900 - how do you "feed" the Pioneer? Audio our of the Sansui to audio in on the Pioneer? never thought of that - interesting..

Thanks

Unfortunately, the tape out on the 6001 does not send decoded output. I needed to use the headphone output to get the decoded signal.

vinylguy4

Hi folks! I'm from Poland. I'd like to show you two Polish machines (a receiver and an integrated power amplifier). One of them is receiver Cezar and the other - amplifier Diora PA-4501 SQ. I'm mentioning these ones because I had a chance to hear the sound from the first one (which is amazing) and the second one is very rare, even in Poland (never seen it live). I just want to say that there are some machines made in Europe which are great and not known in the west :) (pictures found in the Internet)

Attachments

• 51_1174282969.jpg
    51_1174282969.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 367
  • unitra-diora-dks-201-radio-cezar-quadro-unikat-2821111724.jpg
    unitra-diora-dks-201-radio-cezar-quadro-unikat-2821111724.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 407
  • 19_1218297239.jpg
    19_1218297239.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 383
In keeping with the spirit of this thread (analog/vintage/quad/receiver) I figured my newest setup might sneak right in here.

I do not, nor have I ever owned a true quad receiver, but ... I have a habit of buying two (or more) of any vintage piece I like. This habit comes from my lifelong involvement with old cars. Spare parts galore!

When I rediscovered vintage quad, I found that implementation of quad was easy, having duplicates of nearly everything!

Most of my quad stuff has been assembled from what is generally considered modern 'pro-audio' equipment so that discussion probably won't be a good fit here.

Recently while hunting for old vinyl, compact cassetts, 8-trks, tape reels and CDs, I stumbled across FOUR mint NOS Yammie AS-108 series II speakers for next to nothing.

Testing them at home proved them to be mini Club S115V clones - and that's a GOOD thing!

Eager to assemble a stand alone quad system for the bedroom, this is what I came up with.

Sansui QSD-1 (it was just sitting around waiting to be used again).
Tascam 234 quad 3.75 IPS double speed cassette deck, recently refurbed by Russ in NJ.
Otari MX5050 BQII discrete quad Reel to Reel, new heads from JRF Magnetic Sciences, then rebuilt and calibrated by Bob Shuster.
Calibrated thru two DOLBY 363 frame SR/A NR Spectral Recording units with NOS CAT.300 modules.
Technics RS-858DUS quad-8 8-track player/recorder
Two Sansui Seven receivers, damn! These are as good sounding as the legendary Eight Deluxe, only with slightly less WPC!
Optionally the seven's pre-out connected to two mint Crown Power Line Four amplifiers, just aligned at Davidson Electronics.
New Sanyo Super D N55 NR unit.
A few other items like:
2 Sansui ATL-15 timers
Two pairs of Aphex 124A level matching units to allow attaining proper gain structure.
Nakamichi ZX-9
Technics SL-1210 M5G
Thinking of adding 4 bi-amped 15" or 2 18" subs, but then it starts to be another monster that I don't really need in this room.
I'm also considering taking out the Crowns and Sansui Sevens and replacing it all with two mint Sansui AU-919 integrated amps I have sitting around doing nothing, what do you guys think?, AU or Crown Powerline Fours?

Hi folks! I'm from Poland. I'd like to show you two Polish machines (a receiver and an integrated power amplifier). One of them is receiver Cezar and the other - amplifier Diora PA-4501 SQ. I'm mentioning these ones because I had a chance to hear the sound from the first one (which is amazing) and the second one is very rare, even in Poland (never seen it live). I just want to say that there are some machines made in Europe which are great and not known in the west :) (pictures found in the Internet)

Those amps look cool with the four meters right in the middle.

Doug

Ok, so some more components arrive to threaten turning this small system into another monster.

I just finished adding in the possibility of enjoying normal stereo CDs after having been processed through a gauntlet of vintage quad synth devices to compare how each recording is differently transformed.

If the quad processing doesn't add something objectionable ... Great!
If the 4.0 version is an improvement beyond being just becoming simple "Double-Stereo", even better!!!

So, here is how I've chosen to implement this functionality.
I Picked up another Nakamichi CDP-2A.
That makes FOUR of this same model now!, that's how much I love this CD-Player.
This is a true sleeper, as it has Nakamichi's own unique "in-house developed" integration of the legendary PHILIPS TDA-1541A DAC chip.

The CD player feeds its 2-ch line level signals into pair of Sansui AX-7s to allow A/B switching to the four following quad devices:
Sansui QSD-1
Proton SD-1000
Aphex ESP-7000
Fosgate Audionics 360°DSM-3610 Pro-Plus
And then:
These four newly created discrete chanels are sent back to the four inputs of the two Sansui Sevens.

A long time back I picked up an album called "Big Band Moog" (fun/fabulous album) from a thrift store, which was labeled Stereo-4. That was my start into quad. Later I picked up an Toshiba CD-4 demodulator. For the longest time I've been using my Marantz SR-7300 OSE for quad, mostly using Pro-Logic for the decoding. Last week I picked up a JVC 5456, which I've been using in my office along with some Energy C-2 speaker. Well, I'm just in quad heaven. I'm digging the Enoch Light, along with some Mike Oldfield and Rick Derringer. It's all fantastic, especially with the lights out.

I've also got a Superscope quad 8-Track, but I need to learn the secrets of repairing those cartridges.

One of these days I'll pick up a reel-to-reel. I'm glad that this forum is here....glad that I'm not the only person who not only has heard about quad, but loves it to.

Charles

Attachments

• My JVC 5456.jpg
    My JVC 5456.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 291
I've got the baby of the Harman Kardon line, the 50+. A little on the noisy side for headphones but works great for quad, though I need a proper QS decoder at some point. For SQ I currently Lexicon CP-2 through it and it does a good job, albeit the rear channels are unfortunately mono. Overall not a bad setup for the price I said.

I've got the baby of the Harman Kardon line, the 50+. A little on the noisy side for headphones but works great for quad, though I need a proper QS decoder at some point. For SQ I currently Lexicon CP-2 through it and it does a good job, albeit the rear channels are unfortunately mono. Overall not a bad setup for the price I said.
[/QUOTE

1st post McCheeseBob ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

1st post McCheeseBob ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

Back