OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no receiver but pioneer qa800a quad int. amp. bought new in tokyo in '73, been repaired a few times.
still in use in my home theater.
as of yesterday, a 2nd one (backup) is on the way.

mated up with it (among other sources) is a akai 630 dss 4 track/4 channel reel to reel tape machine.

and one quad r2r prerecorded tape! (enoch light and the light brigade, 'movie hits'; ca '73).
the rest are 2 channel.

Last edited:
Here's my setup:
Technics sa6400x reciever
Dual 510tt
JVC 4DD-5
4 Bose 301
2 Phase Linear model 1000 expander/noise reduction
Not the best but does the job well.

Nice Collections everyone has,

My List is:

Marantz 4400 with SQ 2B decoder, I use this daily and the scope works great!
Tate II SQ Decoder, best SQ decoder I have heard, the Marantz is close but seperation on Tate is excellent
Harman Kardon 150+, Has slight distortion on 1 channel and I would like to get it fixed,
Transcriptor Skelton Turntable with SME 3009 Series II Improved arm
Dual Direct drive 701 Turntable
Kloss 4 Channel headphones.
I have 2 other Marantz 4400's 1 works fine the other is dead (parts units)

The Harman Kardon is my preferred unit to listen to when it was working correctly, the HK's have cap problems and I
have not been able to find anyone who can repair it. I am still looking!!!

Last edited:
Qrx 9001

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 524
I have several units:

1- Harman Kardon 150+ this is my favorite receiver for pure sound reproduction with my Tate II decoder :banana:

2- Marantz 4400 with SQ 2B decoders and working scopes, scopes are wonderful to measure seperation of channels. I have a spare parts machine with a good scope if anyone needs parts. :)

1- Sansui QRX 9100 This is a brute but the size makes it hard to fit in most cabinets, excellent matrix circuit for stereo conversions. (y)

My Quad inventory is two Sansui QRX9001 units. One was purchased to be a spare for my production unit. The spare turned out to be a better unit than my "production" unit so I am in the process of getting a game plan together to tune it up. This site is a great resource. I only use the decoded stereo right now as I don't have any discreet sources. The 9001 is driving four JBL 350s and the sound is nice! The quad psycho kenitcs has my hearing a little confused, but time will heal. I have bought some quad lp and am trying to track down a quad turntable. If anyone has any TT/Cartridge combos let me know. I have a big investment in Sansui 9090 and 9090DB's (6 9090's and 4 9090DB) which I am slowly rebuilding. I was looking at a 9001 on HiFi Engine one day and said to myself that looks like a "9090 on steroids" and became interested. *****I don't think I can afford anymore audio interest!!!!, but I can't stop my self!

no receiver but pioneer qa800a quad int. amp. bought new in tokyo in '73, been repaired a few times.

mated up with it (among other sources) is a akai 630 dss 4 track/4 channel reel to reel tape machine.

and one quad r2r prerecorded tape! (enoch light and the light brigade, 'movie hits'; ca '73).
the rest are 2 channel.
since last post i have added a second akai gx630d-dss 10.5" reel quad r2r and the original one is in a shop for a new capstan motor as the original motor has a bent capstan.

I have a Yamaha RX-V596 which I don't like, so I bought a yet to arrive Sansui QRX-4500. Interestingly, I don't think Sansui made a QRX-4500. No pix or specs that I can find, only a QR-4500. Anybody have an idea what I'll receive?:confused:

Regards.

I have two Sansui QRX-9001's of which one is for parts to keep the other running. My functional 9001 is in desperate need of a QB rebuild! I also have a QB QSD-1 which is awesome. I am running a Yamaha C-950 DVD universal player into the QSD-1 which can occasionally give me near discrete separation from a well mixed source.

Justin

Just a quick note. Your QX949A should have the CD-4 Decoder built-in. Check and let us know for sure.

Sansui QRX 4500. Received it two weeks ago. I'm impressed, played an old QS LP, Brass Fever, wow. Every source I have downstairs goes through it now. This matrix stuff is neat, everything sounds better, ..... Super Beta HiFi, VHS, CD's, Direct TV, LP's etc. A few lights are out, everything else seems to be working. Interestingly, I don't think anyone else owns one of these. Does anyone know someone with a QRX 4500? How does the Matrix circuitry compare with the "Uber" Sansui Rcvrs? Regards.

the rest are 2 channel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
update with pics from camera i got back in may, 09.
1st pic is qa800a i purchased in tokyo in '73. sees ~5-12 hrs use per week in HT setup.
2nd pic is qa800a purchased from member of a competing forum/site oct 08. it is used ~daily in my 'workbench' setup.
it's also 36 yrs old.
(edit-i recently found 4 other quad tapes i had stashed away for the last umpteen years and also aquired 2 more in an 'bay 'lot' auction several months ago.)
(more edit-last spring added 2 more akai gx-630d-ss'es to collection. see 'quaddies' pic in signature)

Attachments

• 000_0008[1].jpg
    000_0008[1].jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 461
  • 000_0007[1].jpg
    000_0007[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 456
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
update with pics from camera i got back in may, 09.
1st pic is qa800a i purchased in tokyo in '73. sees ~5-12 hrs use per week in HT setup.
2nd pic is qa800a purchased from member of a competing forum/site oct 08. it is used ~daily in my 'workbench' setup.
it's also 36 yrs old.
(edit-i recently found 4 other quad tapes i had stashed away for the last umpteen years and also aquired 2 more in an 'bay 'lot' auction several months ago.)
(more edit-last spring added 2 more akai gx-630d-ss'es to collection. see 'quaddies' pic in signature)
as of ~nov 15, '09, both pioneer quad amps are in for recapping/rehabbing/etc.
i miss them dearly! but the wait will be worth it. :phones:banana:

Back