OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Enough Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, SACD, DVD-A. How about some quad guys posting what they have for their receivers! Probably the pride and joy and center piece of a quad system, let's list what we have, and pictures are cool too. Especially if it's a rare unit.

Any all of you guys who never post because you have no reason to, comon, let us know what you're using. Amps and Receivers from the "quad era"!

I'll start:

I have a Sansui QRX-999, which is a European version of the QRX-9001 which I bought in Italy when I was in the Navy back in 1977. I carried that sucker up the fantail stairway on the aircraft carrier I was assigned to and it was heavy and awkward and I amost fell off the damn thing. But it was worth it! :D Still working today.

Akai AS-980, the most handsome unit ever!! I my be biased, but you have to admit, that wide ass stance and all the inputs are pretty cool. Like most all quadies, I imagine we all have an emotional attachment to these unit. Mine been repaired more than I can state. I imagine it will be with me for the rest of my life. Or at least as long that they put analog outs on players.

Spence

Added a pic:

as-980.jpg

Last edited:
- Anthem Statement D2 (main pre-amp/processor)
- Audio Refinement Pre 5 (used as step-up/volume control for CD-4 setup)

I'm a firm believer in the hybrid approach (modern front-end with component best-of-breed legacy decoders)

Just to add to the growing list I have two QRX9001 receivers, (I thought that the original one might one day give up, but to date it never has), a QSD-2, several Sony SQD2010 or SQD2020 units, 2 Sansui QD5500 decks and one QD5500S.

The SQ system works with modern amplification TAFB940 x 2 amplifiers and a variety of turntables.

I also use Technics SE405H and SH400 demodulators with matching SH3433 audioscope with one SQD2010 as preamp and four active speakers.

Oh and hundreds of 4 channel records. I served in the Royal Air Force in the 1970's and had more money than sense! Best wishes.

I use a QRX-7500 and a Sony SQD-2020,I am the original owner of the Sansui that I also bought while I was in the Navy ,never abused and lovingly cared for.

Attachments

• 21697surround_3.jpg
    21697surround_3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,358
For my 5.1 system in the front room, I use 2 Marantz 4400. One in stereo mode for the center and unpowered subwoofer. The other for the 4 corner speakers. Still need that 4 channel tape loop for the SQ,QS, Pop and click processor, tapes, etc.
For the record room, I use a Sansui QRX-6001. No center or sub, 4.0 quad only here.

vinylguy4

My upstairs quad listening room is also my home studio, so the quad legacy stuff is integrated into the many-headed hydra which comprises my gear. However, most of the stuff in the "quad listening loop" is anchored by a Marantz 4400 (cool scope; still works) & Russound Qt-1 and includes a Tate, QB-restored QSD-2, JVC & Akai Q8s, an SQD-2020 and an SQE-2000 SQ encoder for good measure...

I have not ever been on this forum so this is a first for me. Pardon me if I don't know the protocol or lingo or whatever.
I have several quad systems all with the Pioneer 563A player.
1. at the office I have a Fisher quad receiver with four small speakers hooked up to the Pioneer universal player.
2. in my home office I have my old Marantz 4400 with four good speakers and the 563A with center and LFE turned off and therefore routed to the FL and FR. Works fine.
3. in my upstairs room I have the 563A hooked to two receivers (the front a Dynaco tube preamp and amp) and a Kyocera for the rear receiver. Speakers: LS3/5a's and IMF 30's. I plan to substitute the rear receiver with tube stuff for an all tube quad system.
4. reference system: 563A with center, LFE and Front outputs going to a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer which output the two front speakers. Amps and preamps were home made by Dave Herren in Portland, Oregon. Good stuff. speakers: four IMF Professional Monitors. Believe me, I tried to configure a center channel speaker but no configuration could compete with the center simply going to the front left and right.
What I like about my systems (either the old quad receivers or parallel stereo systems) is that I can easily and quickly isolate any speaker I want. So, my real question is: Are there any modern surround sound receivers with balance controls for front-rear and left-right for both front and rear (ala the old Marantz)? Perhaps I have not looked hard enough but I have not found digital receivers made for surround audio.
Art

Main system in my den is centered around a Quad Bob refurbished QRX-9001. Garage System is using a Sansui 7500A. In my classroom at school I am using a QRX-7001.

Have several QRX-7001s, 7500s, and 5500s, as well as Pioneer 949s and 747s to play with. Also have a QS-800 (original owner), QS-500, and two Sony SQD-2020s.

WOW - NICE!!! (y)(y)(y)

Did you just get that recently?

If I ever get up your way, I'd like to hear this set up of yours! Too Cool!
Yeah, I bought the Anthem Statement D2 about a month ago. I used the fact that I had to completely reassemble my system as an excuse to buy a few upgrades. I was using an Anthem AVM 20 and totally loved it, and now it is being used in the family room. The Statement is downright awesome. It is beyond flexible and sounds/looks utterly amazing. I found a great deal on a "barely used" unit through Audiogon.

- Anthem Statement D2 (main pre-amp/processor)
- Audio Refinement Pre 5 (used as step-up/volume control for CD-4 setup)

I'm a firm believer in the hybrid approach (modern front-end with component best-of-breed legacy decoders)

Cai,could we have some photos of your gear.?

Thanks
Ken

Back