Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions Revisited" 5.1 mix 2/26/08

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From the Cowboy Junkies website - video and sound clips available http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/exclusives/trinity/trinity.html

Trinity Revisited
The recording of The Trinity Session was a momentous occasion in, not only, our bands life, but also, our individual lives. The day that the album was recorded, we walked out of the church feeling that we had just participated in something that was much greater than the sum of its parts. The subsequent release of the album and the way that it captured the hearts, minds and souls of so many people in so many different ways, and in so many different parts of the world seemed to indicate that something special did happen in the church that day and, lucky for us, we had a tape deck locked in record. The day after the recording our mother happened to be visiting us while we listened to the playback. After listening for a while she turned to us and said, “your lives will never be the same”…and she was right.

In order to celebrate the 20th anniversary of that very special day we decided to take the risky move of going back to the Church of the Holy Trinity and seeing what twenty years of experience would bring to those same set of songs. Our goal was not to re-do The Trinity Session, but to re-interpret it. In order to give the project an edge we asked along some artists whose own work and lives were in some way affected by Trinity and whose work has also had an affect on our lives and music. Much like the first time around, we kept rehearsal to a minimum. The idea was to cobble together a loose band sound and to let the church and music take over while the tape was running. Ryan Adams, Vic Chesnutt and Natalie Merchant all showed up keen to participate in our little experiment and once again, the church took over.

We couldn’t have dreamed of a better end result for this project. We were all a little astounded at how good things sounded and how easily it was for the eight of us to meld together as a group. The Lamoureux brothers, Pierre and Francois, did an astounding job at capturing the performance on the fly. The DVD looks and sounds beautiful.

Trinity Revisted is a special document celebrating a special day in our lives. Sometimes its unwise to revisit past glories, but sometimes, that’s just what those glories require….enjoy.

Trinity Revisted is a two disc set. One disc is a CD which plays stereo audio like any other CD. The other disc is a DVD which will work in any DVD player or computer. The performance was shot in High Definition Video and recorded at 96K for the highest audio and visual experience. The audio on the DVD was mixed in stereo as well as 5.1 surround sound.

There is also a bonus documentary included on the DVD which features the band along with Jeff Bird and Peter Moore sitting around, getting drunk and talking about the good ol’ days.

I've had this for about 4 months now and I highly recommend it. Sort of an update on the original using guests. Margo is there though in the important parts where you need her voice. The only thing I am not crazy about is the "contribution" by Vic Chesnutt. This disc is not DVD-A though. It is Dolby 5.1. If there is high-rez 5.1 audio track available, maybe it will be released on BD.

Last edited:
I've had this for about 4 months now and I highly recommend it. Sort of an update on the original using guests. Margo is there though in the important parts where you need her voice. The only thing I am not crazy about is the "contribution" by Vic Chesnutt. This disc is not DVD-A though. It is Dolby 5.1. If there is high-rez 5.1 audio track available, maybe it will be released on BD.

I have to agree - highly recommended. The mix, ableit Dolby 5.1 only, is excellent. While recorded live at the Trinity Church, there is no audience - just band and crew. Not a particularly compelling viewing experience, although the picture, shot in HD, is well executed - future listens will be done "audio only." This is not a live, ambience in the rears mix but a well though out 5.1 mix with all speakers used effectively - Margo Timmins vocals are isolated in the center channel - definitely worth a listen - even for the uninitiated. Their take on "Sweet Jane" is quite good.

Very Nice, wish it was 96kHz though

this would make an excellent atmos mix if they re-released it, those big church's just have large height to them that fits atmos perfectly, even if you just mix in nothing but "heavy air" in the height speakers

now I have to just seek out the original Trinity SACD

this would make an excellent atmos mix if they re-released it, those big church's just have large height to them that fits atmos perfectly, even if you just mix in nothing but "heavy air" in the height speakers

Trinity Sessions was recorded with a single CALREC Omnidirectional microphone @ 16 bit/44.1 and although the original RCA RBCD sounds excellent....I highly recommend the AP SACD remaster from the original PCM masters which eliminates the brick wall filtering applied to RBCD.

An Atmos BD~A remaster might sound thrilling but believe it or not, there's plenty of ambience listening to this SACD via the DIRECT Stereo mode through my pre/pro.

MoFi did release a 5.0 SACD of Cowboy Junkies "Whites Off Earth" and the rears contain ambience only [no discrete elements]. If you can find it at a decent price [it's OOP], BUY IT!

One is available used for under $40 from AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MM1EZQ/?tag=sacdinfocom-20 List price was originally $30.

yeah it was the MoFi 5.1 WOEN SACD that got me more interested in the Cowboy Junkies and I had heard some mumblings of some Trinity session, Church thingy for years but never tracked it down and saw that they did a 5.1 "re-visting" of it so I tracked that down.

I was always a big fan of "Sweet Jane" in my youth but never really explored the cowboy junkies any further until WOEN SACD.

I just really like Margo's voice and the emotion she spills out. The brothers play a pretty mean guitar/bass also!

I agree with some of the prior posts. This is an incredible surround mix for it just being in DD 5.1.

Done up by the same dudes that gave us ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA live with Dweezil and his band.

But this is live in a church , small venue...... WITH NO AUDIENCE . Intimate recording with some extended versions and excellent performances.

The Natalie Merchant and Jeff Bird duet is highly recommended as is the extended version of "Sweet Jane ", with Adams and Timmins in top form on guitars. And Margo on vocals of course.

If you like surround and alt rock/folk ...do yourself a good deed, pick it up.

:smokin

I agree with some of the prior posts. This is an incredible surround mix for it just being in DD 5.1.

Done up by the same dudes that gave us ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA live with Dweezil and his band.

But this is live in a church , small venue...... WITH NO AUDIENCE . Intimate recording with some extended versions and excellent performances.

The Natalie Merchant and Jeff Bird duet is highly recommended as is the extended version of "Sweet Jane ", with Adams and Timmins in top form on guitars. And Margo on vocals of course.

If you like surround and alt rock/folk ...do yourself a good deed, pick it up.

:smokin

Thanks for that recommendation. I picked up a copy of the CD/DVD 5.1. Ashame it's not on Blu Ray as it was filmed in high definition. Maybe someday.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and still available. Both the RBCD and DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 look and sound superb. Thanks for the recommendation. :banana:

But we don't know if they mic'd up there. If it's not in the multis then they would have to fake it in some way. I suspect what we already have is better.

But we don't know if they mic'd up there. If it's not in the multis then they would have to fake it in some way. I suspect what we already have is better.

Ironically, even listening to the RBCD on my system has incredible ambience from the front speakers alone [in direct mode stereo].

Back