Boz Scaggs, Dig

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

At a canadian web retailer (www.hmv.com) I found this EMI title listed and purchased it right away. I just received it through the mail. Some nice songs on this one :)

So far this is the only website listing this title as far as I know.

And yet another form of packaging a DVD Audio title.
And a nice one indeed! It's in the form of a booklet containing photo's and printed songtexts. A little onfortunate is the way to get the disc out of the sleeve. But this was soon fixed by a little tweak with a scissor.
A very nice bonus is included as well: the normal cd relaese is included in the package besides the 5.1 DVD Audio!

It's listed as a limited edition for 23 USD.

Frank

I agree that this is a very good release that has been widely overlooked by most consumers. It is one of my favorites. Thankfully, I managed to pick this up on ebay for $9.00, so even with shipping, it was considerably cheaper than buying it retail. They turn up there every so often and many times never even get an opening bid.

mike

Does every copy of "Dig" come with the DVD-A bonus or was it a special release? If so, did it come with some sort of indication on the packaging? I checked a few internet retailers and they (naturally) don't mention the DVD-A disc, so I'm a little wary.

There were two versions of this. The standard version was cd only. The deluxe version came in the clothbound book and contained the bonus dvd-a. Check ebay, there have been two listed in the past couple of days. here's the links:

Dig DVD-A

Dig DVD-A (2)

Thanks for the tip, Frank and MCunningham! I couldn't find this disc through my usual channels so I went ahead an placed my bid on eBay. Looks like a cool set!

I have no doubt that you'll enjoy this disc. A word of caution once you get it. It's in an extremely tight slip sleeve which is glued to the inside cover. If you hold the book upside down and slightly tap on it the disc will slip out. That way you don't have to worry about trying to grab it with your fingers to pull it out and putting nasty fingerprints all over it.

mike

Well I just took a scissor and made two cuts from the top to the center of the sleeve. Now I can slide the disc out of the package without touching the surfaces of the disc.

Frank

AArrggHHHHH! To me, cutting the sleeve would be the same as cutting the pages. I prefer to keep my stuff in mint condition. In addition, once you cut the sleeve, the paper fibers along the edges of the cuts will eventually aborb moisture and swell. The sleeve will eventually become so loose that if you happen to turn the book at an angle, your disc will fall out onto the floor. But if it works for you......

Wow! Just got this DVD-A/CD from an eBay seller. No one else even bid!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...=885412411

What a NICE package! It's great to have the CD (for the car) and the DVD-A for the house. The booklet and the case/binder are of very high quality, but I can see what you guys mean about the discs being a bit "tight"!

I would suggest everyone try and track this one down, they are out there and not that expensive.

:-jon

Jon,

So what do you think of the music? I like the "I Just Go" and "King Of El Paso" tracks best, but the whole disc is very good. Another nice mix by Elliot Scheiner.

mike

Here's an oldie from almost 2 years ago, a refugee from the old EZBoard.

I was wondering if there was a "story" behind this DVD-A release. I mean, it was a REAL DVD-A, and is was released by a major label, yet it got no publicity and it never made it to the stores.

It did have a nice package and a 5.1 mix from Elliot Scheiner, what was the point? Why didn't they just make a few more and gettem in the stores?

Those of us that got one probably have one of the rarest Elliot Scheiner DVD-A's ever made!

Here are Cai's comments from long ago:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126

Another word of caution - this is one of those discs which will not play the dvd-a portion of the disc on my Pioneer 563. It will play the DD5.1 mix on the dvd-v section. I'm assuming this is similar to the T-Rex "Electric Warrior" probs.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know this one was out there. Ordered a new copy from Amazon Marketplace for US$8.98.

Another case of a major label (EMI) hiding the DVD-A light under a bushel. No wonder the format is gasping for breath.

peace,
yrd.

taostx said:
Another word of caution - this is one of those discs which will not play the dvd-a portion of the disc on my Pioneer 563. It will play the DD5.1 mix on the dvd-v section. I'm assuming this is similar to the T-Rex "Electric Warrior" probs.

Well, now I'm bummed. I've always loved this disc and hadn't tried it since getting my 563 and you're right, it won't play dvd-a. Has anyone tried to address these issues with Pioneer? I'd love to complain if I knew who to call. That's two dvd-a's and a dts cd that it won't play. Seems to be a design flaw to me.

KW

I've got the same problem on my Pioneer 47 except that I can't even access the DVD video/5.1 tracks. When the disc is inserted the TV is switched to wide mode and the disc starts playing but no sound comes out. Pressing "menu" shows on the player but nothing comes up on the screen. I seem to have bought a nice shiny coaster!

on the 563 issue, if I change the defaults to dvd-video, I can play the dolby digital tracks. It's a pity about the dvd-a tracks on this player though, because Boz's musicianship & Scheiner's mix sounds to be a great one (even from the DD 5.1)

mattB2 said:
I've got the same problem on my Pioneer 47 except that I can't even access the DVD video/5.1 tracks. When the disc is inserted the TV is switched to wide mode and the disc starts playing but no sound comes out. Pressing "menu" shows on the player but nothing comes up on the screen. I seem to have bought a nice shiny coaster!

Do you have a way to navigate to the video group (group 2) on your player? If you can, then it should play the dd tracks. I thought this wasn't working on mine, but track one on that group plays nothing. The first song is actually track 2. Either step forward to it or wait a minute.

KW

mattB2 said:
MattB2: I have both the Pioneer 47Ai and the Pioneer 45A players, and this disc plays fine on both in DVD-A.

kvsawilson said:
Do you have a way to navigate to the video group (group 2) on your player? If you can, then it should play the dd tracks. I thought this wasn't working on mine, but track one on that group plays nothing. The first song is actually track 2. Either step forward to it or wait a minute.

KW

Thanks, going to group 2 and then track 2 at least enabled me to listen to the tracks in DD. Lovely album and a good mix, shame about the DVD-A. From the T-Rex thread I'm really glad I got the SACD version of Electric Warrior. I've got the Brian Wilson DVD-A on order so it remains to be seen if it actually works.

Back