HiRez Poll Trott, Jeff - DIG UP THE ASTROTURF [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Jeff Trott - DIG UP THE ASTROTURF

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio release from DTS Entertainment. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• Jeff Trott sm.jpg
    Jeff Trott sm.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 296
I took a chance and bought this one from Amazon, I had never heard of this guy before, but i really liked the music, and the surround mix is fantastic, a lot of seperation, and instruments moving around. I like it a lot, a 10.:banana:

I got this one only last week, not knowing what to expect at all.
I was very pleasantly surprised - the mix is very good indeed.
It manages to be very discrete without being too gimmicky - in particular here track 3 (Dalai Lama) has the vocals travelling around all channels
in a similar manner to the "Wandering" on the Lips album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" where they have a drumkit going around in one track, basslines in another etc. Effective, but not over the top.
If you like the Moodies, you'll like this one too.

Based on the last few posts I decided to pick this one up - found it on Amazon for $3.80 new. Anyway, didn't realize it, although it may have been mentioned on a few other threads, Jeff Trott has a pretty impressive songwriting pedigree - having written or co-written several of Sheryl Crow's biggest hits - most notably, "If It Makes You Happy."

Thanks for the tip on this one - very effective mix, although the vocals are bit dry. Trott has a singer songwriter's voice - meaning he is more of a songwriter than a singer but it is pleasant - just would benefit from a little reverb therapy. While you can hear the Crow influence (or is it his), this is very LA scene based pop - I can hear elements of Michael Penn, Duncan Sheik, The Wondermints, Aimee Mann, and the psychedelic/Beatlish production style of Jon Brion. Pretty cool, definitely worth a listen - a solid 8

I voted it as an "8". It's not in the "amazing" category as far as sound goes, but the surround mix is still quite "effective". Nice enough music. Personally, I hadn't heard of Jeff Trott prior to the purchase of this DVD-A and mostly picked it up since it was cheap; that is, at least it was affordable sometime during this past year when I got it. If it's still under ten bucks or thereabout, then it might be worth adding to your collection while there are still a few copies floating around.

Cant believe I had not votedin this one Ive had it a long time. its an 8/9 for me sounds great as pretty much all DTS DVDAs do and the mix works well with the music.

I can hear elements of Michael Penn, Duncan Sheik, The Wondermints, Aimee Mann, and the psychedelic/Beatlish production style of Jon Brion. Pretty cool, definitely worth a listen - a solid 8

Nice to hear someone mention these artists - some of my favorites. I listened to the first track of this disc today at fellow QQer Dennis Mabry's house and told him, "Don't play anymore - I'm buying this one." The first group that came to mind was the Wondermints. I can't wait to get it and hear the rest.

I tried to pick up a copy of this from amazon.ca but they've replied that is out of stock. :(

Looks like I've missed out on getting this one.

I got this Order update:

.....We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on November 01 2010

Jeff Trott "Dig Up the Astroturf (Dvda) (DVD Audio)"
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00005NGTA

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

:mad:

I got this Order update:

.....We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on November 01 2010

Jeff Trott "Dig Up the Astroturf (Dvda) (DVD Audio)"
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00005NGTA

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

:mad:

Here's how I got mine, check out these 2 eBay links. The South Korea sellers I've dealt with have been totally reliable with fast shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFF-TROTT-Dig-...er_Formats&hash=item2a076b9a2f#ht_2283wt_1025

More options, eBay Search: "DIG UP THE ASTROTURF dvd-audio"
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=DI...t+dvd-a&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

sellers on eBay uk & amazon uk still have it new & sealed, for about £2 (upwards). really looking forward to hearing this now, if you guys rate it, it must be good! the mix by the sounds of the feedback here is great, it was a bargain, I like Duncan Sheik etc.. win win! :D

musically a bit "by the numbers" thought pleasant enough.. sonically the EQ's a bit 'smiley faced' (i.e. jacked up highs and lows and recessed mid)..

the surround mix however is very nice indeed, with lots of whizzy/swooshy sound effects, panning, ping-ponging vocals and instruments, etc.

lead vocal dancing around the channels in "Dalai Lama" good fun and I guess it adds something of the "mysterious" to an otherwise pretty pedestrian song.

5 for the mix, 1 for the sonics, 1 for the music.. so it's a "7" overall.

Perhaps an overused term but this is a 'hidden gem'. The music is a little formulaic, but I like the formula, and the guy was named "BMI songwriter of the year" so he must be doing something right. It reminded me of the Ringo 5.1 disc - psych-tinged rock with a good mix.

If you like the music, this will not disappoint, and if you are a bit unsure about the music, the mix is good enough to persuade you to carry on listening.

I vote a 7 - let down a bit by the sound quality.

Last edited:
Picked up at local thrift store for $2. Hidden gem. Totally unknown artist, but really good music. Good use of surround channels - very discrete, but tastefully done.

Always lovely when that happens. :)

I've had this DVD-A since 2010 and listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times -- thought it was okay. Spun it a day ago on a whim and was surprised how much more I enjoyed the music and multi-channel. Probably due in part to a better balanced and tweaked sound system, but the lyrics and arrangements are much better than I remembered.

Anyway, glad I gave Jeff Trott's one and only release another chance. An easy 8.5 that I rounded up to a 9.

Back