HiRez Poll Parker, Maceo - SCHOOL'S IN! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Maceo Parker - SCHOOL'S IN!

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD. (y):phones(n)

My #1 Maceo Parker - School's In
This is a great funk record, and a very good surround disc. The horns come at you from all directions. This is the best funk record that has come out in years (imho). Maceo can be very jazzy, but this one is 100% old school funk, from beginning to end. (see James Brown and P-Funk for Maceo history). Skip past track 3 and enjoy the other 9 tracks. This is my number 1 surround disc and I doubt it'll ever be topped.
I give it a 10

Vinylguy4

Still trying to find this title. Anyone got a lead for the US?

My #1 Maceo Parker - School's In
This is a great funk record, and a very good surround disc. The horns come at you from all directions. This is the best funk record that has come out in years (imho). Maceo can be very jazzy, but this one is 100% old school funk, from beginning to end. (see James Brown and P-Funk for Maceo history). Skip past track 3 and enjoy the other 9 tracks. This is my number 1 surround disc and I doubt it'll ever be topped.
I give it a 10

Vinylguy4

Agreed, it is funky to the bone and the surround mix is great! Highly recommended.

The first three cuts off of this disc are downright funk and surround masterpieces. This stuff is tight! We're talking masterful musicianship that reflects maturity without sacrificing anything that makes funk music great.

The surround mix is an experience not to be missed. I accidentally purchased the regular CD of this title but played it anyway, and instantly became addicted to the music. However, this did not prepare me for when I finally did get the SACD. The difference is like night and day. The surround mix busts the music wide open and takes it to whole new level. No, scratch that, to a whole new DIMENSION!

The middle of the disc loses a bit of steam and we find Maceo almost treading water. I say almost only because the tracks are still great, just not the masterpiece material that hits you at the outset. The good news is that things pick back up and the disc finishes out in fine form.

So, some minor quibbles force me to take it down a peg and give it 9 points.

I bought my copy from Amazon.de (Amazon's German website). The SACD is currently in stock here.

Bump!

This one is still available out there....at a reasonable price

Funk with horns.... recommended by Cai .... sounds good to me.... ordered!!!

Continuing with my current inspiration to bump some of the surround discs that are coming up short with regard to comments and votes. This one has 9 votes… c'mon somebody, let's get it to 10 at least.

This SACD couldn't get much funkier, or more surround-y. Loads of horns, plenty of bass and a Hammond organ thrown in for good measure. More vocal tracks than instrumental.

I'll agree with the other posters that this starts out really hot, cools off a bit, and finishes strong. Tracks 1, 2, 6, 7, and 10 are favorites for me, I think 5 is kind of a dud and 4 (the Jackson 5's "ABC") is probably done well enough, I just really don't care to hear it.

Minor musical quibbles aside, this is a really great surround disc that belongs in the library of anyone who likes their music funky. A very solid 9.

Mark Z

PS: Available very cheaply via Amazon at the moment!!

Funny - I just changed my avatar to this album an hour or so ago.... as I'd just made a DVD-A of it for my car...

Having a look at the WAVs for this taken from the SACD its "a tad" compressed.... but otherwise a great disc...

Capture.jpg

Funny - I just changed my avatar to this album an hour or so ago.... as I'd just made a DVD-A of it for my car...

Having a look at the WAVs for this taken from the SACD its "a tad" compressed.... but otherwise a great disc...

Yowza! Well, I've never claimed to have golden ears... more like pewter!

I guess that's why I'm into surround and not buying $10,000 cables to feed those ears. Well, that and the $10,000.

Mark Z

Hm, I gave only a 6, because it's only a enhanced stereo disc.
Where are the discrete sounds?
So far the sound in general is superb, but it is not a true surround one.

I disagree - its discrete...

Well FWIW, I gave it an "8" on here a while back, so it can't have been too bad.. ;)

..seriously, I remember it being very good (the other two BHM Label SACDs which I've picked up more recently are both great - Mezzoforte "Forward Motion" http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3633 & Mike Stern's "These Times" http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3674) though to be fair I haven't played the Maceo lately, I need to give it another listen.

Hm, I gave only a 6, because it's only a enhanced stereo disc.
Where are the discrete sounds?
So far the sound in general is superb, but it is not a true surround one.
Right. Even calling it stereo is a bit of a stretch. Just had a listen and I'm not hearing any difference amongst FL, FR, RL, and RR. The center channel is somewhat different with bass and drums and never any vocals. Very poor surround mixing effort.

Outstanding fidelity at this funky, jazzy party. Enjoyable music and musicianship from start to finish. Is it discrete? Well, what is the definition of discrete? I guess the most extremely discrete mix would have no sound found in more than one channel (this can sound great if done right, or very sparce if not); the mix here is more on the other end of the discrete spectrum, with varying amounts of almost everything in each channel, yet the listener can clearly hear different sound elements coming from different corners of the room... and it sounds great! 8.

10 years later and I'm still looking :( Anyone got a copy they want to part with? :)

Back