Quad LP/Tape Poll Deodato: Deodato 2[CD-4/SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Deodato 2"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Ocean of Mediocrity

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Brazilian keyboardist's second CTI album, from 1973.

Side 1:

1. Nights In White Satin
2. Pavane For A Dead Princess
3. Skyscrapers

Side 2:

1. Super Strut
2. Rhapsody In Blue

Attachments

• Deodato-2_b.jpg
    Deodato-2_b.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 301
It's extremely hard to make a follow-up of something that smashed the charts worldwide, as it was for his version of "2001".
Said that, it's a nice album with a pair of excellent track (super / sky) and the typical CTI quad mix - sometimes too much discrete that a single channel can be silent for a long time.

OK, I've decoded this album with two different Audition scripts, and I'm confused by the comments above about the discreetness of this mix. While there are instruments in the front channels that do not appear in the rear channels, there is nothing in the rear channels that do not appear in the front channels. Does the Q8 and CD-4 disc possibly have a different mix than the SQ LP?

J. D.

Decided to put this here instead of the SACD thread since my comments only apply to Deodato 2.

I had fun this afternoon doing a full shoot-out between the SQ (via Involve decoder), CD-4 (via SE-405 demod), and SACD. Anyone could have guessed the SACD would win, but I have to say the CD-4 really holds its own. It even managed to limit leakage during segments where one rear channel is completely dead (common mixing choice used in CTI quads).

The SQ isn't bad either actually- to be honest you can't really go wrong with this one if you've got decent equipment. The mix is that extreme. I don't have either tape version, but I figure the SACD with the treble dialed down probably equals the Q8 :), and the reel is probably much better but not quite as good as the new DV version.

The album itself is a blast and the musicianship is impeccable- I particularly enjoy "Super Strut" and the rather inventive reimagining of "Nights In White Satin".

Strange that this one got a CD-4 release and Prelude- arguably the more popular album with the big hit- didn't. So many mysteries when it comes to the Japanese stuff...

Last edited:
Back