SQ/QS Matrix Decoding Software

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaweedy

Hi dudes.

Major newbie here when it comes to surround, but I know my stuff when it comes to anything computer related. So no need to dumb things down for me...
Ok, maybe not a complete newbie, I do have a small collection of DVD-A's and SACD's which I use my computer to decode and play (in effect, the computer acts as a surround receiver). So I kind of know my way around.

Enough of the intros, anyway, I just bought Steely Dan's "Can't Buy A Thrill", the quad LP version, on ebay. I'm assuming it's SQ matrixed because it does play in regular stereo. (And QS doesn't, right?) And I don't have a quad needle yet, but the answer to my question will probably determine whether I buy one or not. My record player is a Sanyo Plus Q40 (obviously not using the original quartz needle and cartridge), I have the turntable output routed through an analog Sony receiver and then to my computer. My question is this: is there any computer software that can decode the quad channels (split them apart, that is) from this stereo source, so that I can then re-encode the channels into a DTS file? I'm not in the financial position to buy an actual quad receiver at the moment...or probably ever.

If such a decoding software does exist, I'll buy the necessary quad needle. If not, I'll just rest on the fact that I only spent $10 for the record anyway...and besides it's in better condition than my stereo master of CBAT.

If them Steely Dan guys would just release the surround mixes of their first 6 albums like they said they were going to ELEVEN YEARS AGO, I wouldn't even care about this LP I guess, except for nostalgic purposes.

Any assistance on this subject from any point of view is welcome. And thanks in advance.

-Paul

First off, the LP you have is QS encoded. It is not listed or printed on the jacket or inner sleeve, but it's QS.

BUT! That's OK because it's a matrix disc as SQ is, and you don't need a special cartridge, stylus, or turntable to play it.

and YES, you can decode it on your PC using Adobe Audition 1.5 or 2.0 (but NOT 3.0). If you look in the "Surround on the Desktop" section, you will find the Adobe Audition scripts that members have created to decode both SQ and QS LP recordings. Record them to your PC at the highest resolution you can (24/96 is good), run them through the scripts to get the 4 mono files, then you can encode them to a DTS CD or a DVD-Audio disc.

Read through the forum sections on surround creation and you'll find a lot of info. Members here will help with specifics.

Welcome to QQ!

These instructions are for SQ, but they are similar for QS.

SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

More audio instructions:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68410&postcount=34

For a QS Script for Adobe Audition 1.5 go to post 96 here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47522&postcount=96

Thanks to Dylan for the QS script:

“Remember to make sure the files you are decoding are located in the c:\QS\ directory and are named "Front.wav" and "Rear.wav"

Also, you do not do the 3 db cut for QS.

Yeah, I've got both Audition 2.0 and 3.0, so this should work great. Thanks a lot for your help! I'll post here to let you know if I got it working.

Yeah, I've got both Audition 2.0 and 3.0, so this should work great. Thanks a lot for your help!

Be prepared as you get into it that for a 45 minute album it can take anywhere from 2 hours for QS to 3 or 4 hours to decode an SQ album. There are more steps in the SQ decoding. Of course this depends on how fast your computer is. Enjoy!!

Be prepared as you get into it that for a 45 minute album it can take anywhere from 2 hours for QS to 3 or 4 hours to decode an SQ album. There are more steps in the SQ decoding. Of course this depends on how fast your computer is. Enjoy!!

I have a separate laptop that I use for doing audio recording, it has a Audigy ZS2 pcmcia soundcard (so 24-bit/192khz is a possibility), and a 2.8ghz P4, but unfortunately, only 512MB of ram (gotta upgrade that soon)... which makes processing/recording multiple tracks in realtime a big latency pain. But I dont have to do this in realtime, so I think I'm already all set up to do a transfer! Yay!

thank you guys, I knew there had to be a software solution to SQ/QS decoding. All the Tates that come up on EBAY go for $900 and that's not in the budget. I have a Sony 2020 but certainly not the same quality decoding from what I have read. At least it has nice gauges. Now how can I get CD4 onto DTS or DVD-A? will start searching here for info. is there an alternative hi quality laptop soundcard to the Audigy since it doesnt appear to be available any more? Did you say you can burn DVD-A and DTS thru Adobe Audition Software??

both SQ and QS LPs will play in 4 channels with a standard stereo stylus and the appropriate decoder. CD-4 will NOT play in 4 channels without a stylus capable of tracking the higher frequency range (generally a shibata stylus) plus the CD-4 demodulator which converts the high frequencies down into audible range equivalents. (Hope i didnt describe this inaccurately).

I have a related type question. Which should I choose for encoding 4channel discs, DTS or DVD-A. I have neither and need to choose one. Which will be the most useable ongoing? which is better?

I have a related type question. Which should I choose for encoding 4channel discs, DTS or DVD-A. I have neither and need to choose one. Which will be the most useable ongoing? which is better?

It depends on what you plan to do with your discs. I initially converted many quad discs to DVD-A because the software (Circlinca) was cheap. But eventually, I wanted to share some of these recordings with my friends, and none of them had DVD-Audio players. That's when I switched to DTS, which is more universal.

Also, I'm recording at 16 bit / 44.1 Khz, so there's no sonic advantage for me in going to DVD-A vs. DTS (to my ears).

On the other hand, a DVD-A disc can hold a lot more time than a DTS CD, so I still use DVD-A for classical box sets.

J. D.

I sort of had the feeling that DTS would be a better way to go. Thanks for your input. I am looking forward to starting all this. Having printed off all the messages relating to the process its just a matter of setup and starting to play. Gee all that takes is time!!!

Whichever method you choose DVD-A or DTS-CD, record at DVD-Audio standards at 24 bit / 96 kHz and save those files for DVD-A creation later if you’re planning on doing DTS-CD’s now. Then just down convert the files you created for the DTS-CD. Also, Surcodes’s DTS-CD encoder allows files at 24 bit / 44.1 kHz. I do both, DVD-Audio and DTS-CDs of the same title. Remember DVD-Audio is Lossless and DTS-CD is Lossy.

Lossless data compression: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_audio#Lossless_audio_compression

Lossy audio compression: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_audio#Lossy_audio_compression

Last edited:
Hello, I'm Friedel from Germany and interested in Quadraphonic.
Please don't worry about my English, I try to do it well...;)
I'm searching for a SQ-decoder with excellent separation.
The one in my BRAUN CSQ 1020 is not "the hit".
I decide to use the software solution with Audition 1.5.
Some questions:
> Is the shareware of A. 1.5 able to do the job for a short time?
> My soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, may I playback the 4 decoded Tracks directly?
> If not, what do I need to play the tracks with dts-system?

Thanks and regards

Friedel

DVD-A software is available for most PCs if that would make it easier to share music. seems most everyne has a pc but not all people have dts playback except possibly thru their pc. I know most DVD players have dts but not all especially the cheap ones. But these days even netbooks can run dvd-a capable playback software.

Sorry, here is another newbie.

Ultimately I am looking to separate the 4 tracks in my Quad vinyl. I have been trying to purchase discreet versions when I can find them (8-track and reel), but it is not possible for all recordings. There has been some talk about the different software and how recordings should be recorded on to the computer to make the separations possible. So, this is what I have...

2 B&O 3300 Linear tracking turntables with an MMC 2 Linear/Shibata stylus & an MMC 3 eliptical
Adobe Audition 3.0 (trial version so far)
Cool Edit 2.1 (suppose to be the same as AA 1.5)
Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 (16 bit only available)
Yamaha MD4 (for those discreet recordings)
Sony TC-388-4 Quad reel
Panasonic RS-855US Quad 8-track
Soundcard? Only what came with my HP Media Center.

I have been playing with the AA 3.0 but am unable to find the instructions or process that does separate the 2 channels into 4. I have seen various instructions, but they appear to be scattered around this site.

So, if anybody is interested, I would like to know of any mis-steps, alternatives, even what I have done right.

Thanks.

These instructions are for SQ, but they are similar for QS.

SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

More audio instructions:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68410&postcount=34

For a QS Script for Adobe Audition 1.5 go to post 96 here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47522&postcount=96

Thanks to Dylan for the QS script:

“Remember to make sure the files you are decoding are located in the c:\QS\ directory and are named "Front.wav" and "Rear.wav"

Also, you do not do the 3 db cut for QS.

Sorry, here is another newbie.

Ultimately I am looking to separate the 4 tracks in my Quad vinyl. I have been trying to purchase discreet versions when I can find them (8-track and reel), but it is not possible for all recordings. There has been some talk about the different software and how recordings should be recorded on to the computer to make the separations possible. So, this is what I have...

2 B&O 3300 Linear tracking turntables with an MMC 2 Linear/Shibata stylus & an MMC 3 eliptical
Adobe Audition 3.0 (trial version so far)
Cool Edit 2.1 (suppose to be the same as AA 1.5)
Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 (16 bit only available)
Yamaha MD4 (for those discreet recordings)
Sony TC-388-4 Quad reel
Panasonic RS-855US Quad 8-track
Soundcard? Only what came with my HP Media Center.

I have been playing with the AA 3.0 but am unable to find the instructions or process that does separate the 2 channels into 4. I have seen various instructions, but they appear to be scattered around this site.

So, if anybody is interested, I would like to know of any mis-steps, alternatives, even what I have done right.

Thanks.

Check the post included and all of its links to the threads!
Welcome, have fun!

Pro Tools does not have the proper tools to do the extractions necessary.

Last edited:
Back