SQ/QS Matrix Decoding Software

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bring up an old thread ... but does anyone have a way to do this with current versions of Audition? Or at least a chain of processes to do the decoding? Thanks!

Sorry to bring up an old thread ... but does anyone have a way to do this with current versions of Audition? Or at least a chain of processes to do the decoding? Thanks!
Several guys on here have Audition-specific decoding programs free for the downloading. ArmyofQuad should have a better idea of whose works better than whose. he's also working on some software CD-4 decoding as well as all the other matrices.

What about other current audio software? Is there anything for Audacity or Pro Tools?

Several guys on here have Audition-specific decoding programs free for the downloading. ArmyofQuad should have a better idea of whose works better than whose. he's also working on some software CD-4 decoding as well as all the other matrices.

Does anyone on the forum have links to these?

Does anyone on the forum have links to these?

There are a lot of threads on this subject, this site search is terrible however. I managed to find some of them and have now book marked them.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ING-ALMOST-DONE!&highlight=sq+software+decode
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...way-to-decode-SQ&highlight=sq+software+decode
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nu-2013-script-available&highlight=sq+scripts

Somewhere there was another method of using session files in Audition, I liked that method the best, will keep looking for more links.

I believe what makes Audition 3.01 (and no later?) the right software for SQ decoding is the extract centre channel function, which last time I looked was unavailable on Audacity.

I believe what makes Audition 3.01 (and no later?) the right software for SQ decoding is the extract centre channel function, which last time I looked was unavailable on Audacity.

is this function used in an effort to remove things such as vocals that have bled from the centre front position to the rears from SQ decodes?

if that's what its for, none of the various vocal removal or isolation tools in Audacity that I have tried can do that, they either wipe out the entire signal from the rears (so you get total silence in rear left and rear right!) or do other very weird and disturbing things depending on which setting you use. the only sure fire way I've found to eliminate those CF vocals from the rears is to sum the rears to mono - and poof (!) they're magically gone - but then you've got mono rears, which is a bit crap really and not right either cos anything that's supposed to be in the rear left only is also lumped in with the rear right and vice versa.. boo.

on a tangent, I didn't think it would be possible but there was one of those OOPS tricks I tried with SQ stuff in Audacity and totally by accident I got just the SQ 2-ch without those CF vocals so you've got sorta Quad instrumentals in Stereo.. I can't remember how I did it right now (it was with one of the Minnie Riperton SQ LPs.. wiped her voice out and left the backing track essentially) kinda cool though ultimately pointless I guess and tbh I'm not sure if that process obliterated any other things beyond her voice but that was the most noticeable thing that was gone iirc.

well that's a turn up for the books.. I ended up saving the results of that SQ Minnie vocal tomfoolery from last year, so if anybody here wants to hear the effect just drop me a PM and I'll send you a clip.

it is kinda weird.. its mono, or just very narrowed stereo image maybe, its a bit phasey (as expected) you can still hear her lead vocal v.faintly, whatever Audacity vocal removal/isolation kershizzle it was didn't wipe her out completely but to me it sounds similar (maybe slightly less wiped out) to the effect you get in the rears when you sum them to mono.

its crap to listen to but it could be handy for karaoke.. not that i've got Minnie's range! LMAO :D

"..the results of SQ are buried in deep places.." :music

is this function used in an effort to remove things such as vocals that have bled from the centre front position to the rears from SQ decodes?

OK, I'm not a genius nor an extremely knowledgeable person (heck, I can't even understand the steps in the scripts themselves...maybe when I grow up, I will) ....being that as it may, I think that the center channel extractor is used TWICE because the rears in SQ are in the center: LR is 90º to the left and RR is 90º to the right..the really tricky part is CANCELLING those once they are extracted from the center...SQ is great for single instruments (e.g., Chase's trumpet), but it's a bit of a mess when you keep adding stuff...and on top of that , LPs are not the most stable medium...If only CDs weren't castrated at 20K....

Anyone care to step in and guide us?

I am resurrecting this thread. I have Adobe Audition 2020 version 13 for Mac. All of the scripts listed here that convert SQ and QS are for the old windows version. The Mac version uses .jsx files for scripts. What is the raw data in these scripts so that I can cut copy and paste the data into a Mac script.

I am resurrecting this thread. I have Adobe Audition 2020 version 13 for Mac. All of the scripts listed here that convert SQ and QS are for the old windows version. The Mac version uses .jsx files for scripts. What is the raw data in these scripts so that I can cut copy and paste the data into a Mac script.
The raw data is nothing more or less what has already been posted, for Windows & AA3. It is up to you to modify & utilize for Mac.

The raw data is nothing more or less what has already been posted, for Windows & AA3. It is up to you to modify & utilize for Mac.

I opened up one of the QS script files in TextEdit and saw it was readable but I did see this: Ðă¶ĘäqëåÁùßÐă¶ëåÁ.
Not sure what that is. Don't know if the script will be readable with that type of alphanumeric data.

I opened up one of the QS script files in TextEdit and saw it was readable but I did see this: Ðă¶ĘäqëåÁùßÐă¶ëåÁ.
Not sure what that is. Don't know if the script will be readable with that type of alphanumeric data.
If you do something simple like google SQ/QS decoding software for Mac you find this:

Stereo Lab - Quadraphonics and Ambisonics

As mentioned on QQ many times.

You cannot, as far as I know, convert a AA-script. Start getting familiar with Favorites in AA, it is the replacement for scripts. If you know how QS or SQ works start building a basic decoder-favorite. After you completed that, start to build a Favorite for channel-enhancement using Effect - Center Channel Extractor. You will get there in the end.

Last edited:
J,
another piece with some of these scripts is a freeware plug in called "PhaseBug". I think this is Windows only as well, but whatever the case you need some sort of plug-in that can adjust phase. If you want to send me a pm, I can get that to you or maybe help you out with some questions. I'm not familiar with new versions of Audition but I know the old stuff pretty well.

Back