Music DVD Poll Goldfrapp - Supernature CD/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD portion of "Goldfrapp - Supernature"

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations on this classic.
The good stuff is on the DVD, with LPCM/Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 options.
  1. Ooh La La
  2. Lovely 2 C U
  3. Ride A White Horse
  4. You Never Know
  5. Let It Take You
  6. Fly Me Away
  7. Slide In
  8. Koko
  9. Satin Chic
  10. Time Out From The World
  11. Number 1
I'm starting this off with a solid 9 - and you are not going to believe this, but I did not even know we had it in the collection!! My partner had bought the CD, and although she knew there was a DVD included, she thought it was just a documentary type disc, and had no idea it was the full album.
I just slapped it in the player an hour ago and found the whole album.
If you know the single "Ooh La La" then you know what you are in for.
Typical of Mute Records output, thesre guys could do a double-header with Depeche Mode and not feel out of place. I love it.
Bass end is heavy & solid, the mixes are very discrete indeed.

Go buy this disc.

Attachments

• Goldfrapp-Supernature.jpg
    Goldfrapp-Supernature.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
Thanks for the poll! :)

Review for the SACD version.

OK, so I like discrete mixes.

maybe it's "deformación profesional", a spanish play on words as in "inclined towards preferring something because you work in that field",

but I think this is how a "modern" surround mix should be.
Interesting and not afraid to go beyond the mainstream, pushing the envelope is seldom seen these days...

Kudos to Will and Alison for a magnificent lesson on how to do an outstanding Mch Mix.
Bootlicking done, here I go...:D

I personally think "Black Cherry" is a superior release and would just LOVE to do a MCh Mix for it...hint ;=)

During most of the songs , the mix's "center spot" is right in between all the 4 speakers, giving it a different viewpoint; very delicate because of its proximity to MONO, but very valid too if you know what to do, and they do.

I think that the "expanded stereo" approach is OK(a bit boring for me , but... :rolleyes:) , but one of the fundamental advantages of a MCh mix is that it can "dissect" a stereo mix, separating the Multitrack Elements (happyhappyhappy, joyjoyjoy!). I find this the most satisfying, can't help it...can you blame me?

Very aggressive.
Compression galore.
Nice sonics, though.

Need I say, a 10...

Very enjoyable, two very entusiasic (y)(y)

One of the few DVD-A/SACD titles that I already had on CD - ecstatic to find out it was one of about four discs from my existing collection available in surround sound.

I haven't had a chance yet to have a proper listen to the SACD since getting my player, but the DTS DVD has been through my system many times. Great album, and an interesting mix. It's a solid surround mix that fills the entire soundspace, rather than just static panning of individual instruments. Totally suits the material, and possibly reflects a more mature use of the technology. May not appeal to some tastes though - I recall one unhappy review on sa-cd.net that called it a "mush". The brief listens of the SACD I've performed suggest it's significantly more refined than the DTS. Bass is rather heavy on the DTS - it may want LFE turned down 10dB.

Anyway, firm 10/10 from me. (y)

The negative? No other Goldfrapp albums available on anything other than CD. The next album Seventh Tree is resolutely 2-channel.

Ooh, I've just realised - Neil didn't mention the SACD. You do realise that the "CD" in that package is an SACD, don't you, at least in the UK?

You have to look really, really closely to spot the logo though on the disc and packaging though. Mute do not seem to want to advertise that their Goldfrapp and Depeche Mode SACD/DVD-V double-packs have SACDs in them.

Ooh, I've just realised - Neil didn't mention the SACD. You do realise that the "CD" in that package is an SACD, don't you, at least in the UK?

You have to look really, really closely to spot the logo though on the disc and packaging though. Mute do not seem to want to advertise that their Goldfrapp and Depeche Mode SACD/DVD-V double-packs have SACDs in them.

Mine's not.
It's an ordinary CD with the DVD-V.
I got it from Play.com
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3021297/Supernature/Product.html

Didn't know about the SACD - that one is listed separately.
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/709893/Supernature/Product.html

Notice the bonus track on the CD version.....it's a different title.
Different cover, too.

what a nightmare it must be for teh record copany Multiple copies of the same title.
CD Jewel case
CD+DVDV (CD with Bonus track)
SACD+DVDV

the mix is good on this and is worth owning. I listen to this one often and enjoy it immensely.

i guess i'm in the clear minority here. considering the style of music and the layers of sound available, i think the mix just isn't as adventurous as it could have been. every time i listen to this one, i find myself second-guessing the mixing decisions. lots of sound from the rears, but nowhere near as discreet as i prefer.

I think that this mix is just ugly, synthetic, processor-like mass handling except few small moments.

hi, i'm new to this site but i have the sacd/dvd version of supernature, i had been listening to it in 24/96 2 channel digital, but i thought i'd try the multi chanel area, and so wired my sacd player with the 5.1 analog cables instead of digital/optical, i have noticed it sounds very nice and clear in surround but the mix has lost some of the bass, (might be due to my amp not letting me boost it in 5.1 analog?) anyways i would like to say this is a very good album in general, and a very good decode for surround too

Hey Marc, welcome to the Forum!
Weird place to air your problem, I'm sure that it has to do with the bas management in your receiver/ player, however, it dependes on how your system is setup: itf the player does the decoding, then in the player an if in the receiver, ditto....

OK, this one is a guilty pleasure..
the mix is totally different from most modern MC ones, but somehow it works marvelously .
Some people think that it's mixed in Mono, and maybe because of the weird panning ,but it's a DANCE record so , it should work in a "party" soundfield and you're not going to isolate the kick and the bass.

Still, I highly recommend it-a 10 for me...too bad that they didn't do "Black Cherry" on MC.

Listening to this one again...what a great freakin' mix...so DIFFERENT from others and yet very effective...
I really haven't heard any other mix like this....
The "bubble" is fantastic, if you actually separated and made the elements "discrete", it wouldn't work...they are separated enough , yet cohesive...
This one gets an ELEVEN from me...

PS...I like it so much that it's the ONLY title I have TWICE as a backup! Just in case I wear it out! (on SACD too!!!)

all you QQ-ers can't be wrong! I'm going to have to give this another listen!

I remember I got it the day it came out and was soooo disappointed in the surround mix.

ah, well, once more into the "breeches" dear friends! best listening trousers on! ha! :D

I must admit that this one didn't grab me either...

I like Goldfrapp and wish Black Cherry was released - I'll have another listen too.

I must admit that this one didn't grab me either...

I like Goldfrapp and wish Black Cherry was released - I'll have another listen too.

Love Goldfrapp! Amazingly talented duo.

To think Black Cherry was mixed in 5.1 but was never released.. and Felt Mountain was also apparently prepared in fake 5.1 (presumably was impossible to remix from the masters as too many comped/dropped-in elements, I don't know why it wasn't possible at the time, maybe a QQ-er has the inside info..!?) and still they've never seen the light of day..

Big sigh!

I took 3 discs with me to audition my new equipment this time last year, and this SACD was one of them.

As soon as I put on "You Never Know" I knew I had to buy what I was testing!

The album has an odd mix, true, but I like the really hard front to back panning effects used on some tracks, the bass is phenomenal, and it's just so immersive.

I took 3 discs with me to audition my new equipment this time last year, and this SACD was one of them.

As soon as I put on "You Never Know" I knew I had to buy what I was testing!

The album has an odd mix, true, but I like the really hard front to back panning effects used on some tracks, the bass is phenomenal, and it's just so immersive.

I feel a new thread coming on!

"Name your top 3 audition SACD/DVDA discs when buying new equipment!?"

My top 3 would probably not include Supernature, got to say but I'll think on about that..! :D

Haha, to be honest it only made the cut because at the time it was the only SACD I owned, and it also served the purpose of being the one electronica/dance music type disc I tried out. Worked out pretty well!

For reference, the other two were the DSOTM Immersion Blu-ray disc and Genesis- Trick of the Tail (original Virgin/Charisma 80's CD, one of the finest red book CDs I own...)

Haha, to be honest it only made the cut because at the time it was the only SACD I owned, and it also served the purpose of being the one electronica/dance music type disc I tried out. Worked out pretty well!

For reference, the other two were the DSOTM Immersion Blu-ray disc and Genesis- Trick of the Tail (original Virgin/Charisma 80's CD, one of the finest red book CDs I own...)

There's not much dance stuff on high-res, sadly. Supernature's probably one of the better ones.. The 2 Groove Armada's I've got aren't at all bad..
but I feel more could have been done with all of the dance-y stuff I've heard in 5.1. The Kraftwerk SACD gets a lot of praise but I'm yet to find it at sensible money since I passed it by new in HMV years ago (dammit!)..

Now, I trust you used the (lovely discrete) Alan Parsons' Quad Mix for reference when auditioning the equipment, rather than (the spread stereo and ambience with some discrete bits) Guthrie "SACD" 5.1 mix!? hehe.. ;) ;)

Back