Jesus Christ Superstar Original BWay Cast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwight

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Jesus Christ Superstar has appeared on a few lists but it is simply in the "can't imagine better" category. Through a good synth it is simply remarkable...few quad albums sound as good, and the vocals are still powerful.......haven't listened to it for many years...might be time to get that remastered cd to compare to this record.
Dwight

Is this the MCA release with Ian Gillan?

Wait a minute... Decca should be a London cast, not a Broadway one. MCA will be ok for Bway.
Also, what kind of quad synth are you referring? Sansui?

This is the Original Broadway Cast recording on vinyl with Gillan in the role of Christ. Brown cover...Decca recording in England....Decca was an MCA sub....it was recorded in England ...Why? Because that's were all the talent originated. Gillan, Lloyd Webber are all Brits...I'm using a QSD-1 for synth and it's spectacular. A lot of 180 degree movement....often a voice at each speaker and strong phantom center simultaneously! ....Gobs of depth and very dramatic voices. I'm now very interested in the re-mastered cd.
Dwight

Last edited:
For the record and I may have it wrong, the Original Broadway Cast is a single Lp, highlights version that has never been relesed on CD. The two-record set with Gillian is a studio recording. That cast was never on stage, in Broadway or in London.

For the record and I may have it wrong, the Original Broadway Cast is a single Lp, highlights version that has never been relesed on CD. The two-record set with Gillian is a studio recording. That cast was never on stage, in Broadway or in London.

Can't speak for any CD edition, but Decca DL7-1503 was indeed an original broadway cast album, but the 'cast' from London is the one on the 2-Lp set that sold millions, and yes, is considered not a 'broadway cast' Lp but a 'rock opera,' and as such was a studio recording(which, in fact, most cast albums of any kind are, just recreations of what was done onstage). The 1971 broadway album did Ok(#31 Billboard in early '72), but only Yvonne Elliman, of the original opera, came across the pond.

As for the 2-Lp set, that was issued two ways: as a box set(as if it were a classical recording)and as a gatefold.

Also, the UK CD--the first one issued--had completely different cover art; the US edition is a different mastering(not a fan of the album, can't say which one is better, since I've only the UK).

ED :)

Pablo, You have it right! The album that I'm referring to was the original presentation by Webber with the original studio cast and made the Broadway production possible. The Broadway show opened sans Gillan and Murry Head.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Dwight

The next time I see this one on vinyl in a thrift shop or flea I'll snag it, they're fairly common(box or gatefold). I remember the Decca vinyl sounding pretty good, production values solid. Not sure I could wade through the whole thing, but "Superstar" and several others would have made great quad mixes, had anyone cared at the time.

ED :)

You know, every time I think I know what I'm talking about it's a sure sign that I don't, but I finally got this thing clear. Thanks to everyone for the corrections! There is the original cast concept album, that's the one that I have on vinyl...the one that became a hit with Gillan and Head; then there is the original Broadway cast album with Ben Vareen and Jeff Fenholt, followed by the original London West End album with Paul Nichols and finally the sound track to the film. The re-mastered cd, the one I wish to compare, is indeed of the original cast concept album....Yiiiipee!!! I have a lot of cd's that are better in most ways to the record, but I also have a lot of cd's that can't begin to compare to the original vinyl. We'll see if the fidelity and the surround images improve with the update in tech.
Thanks Again,
Dwight

It is on CDhttp://www.amazon.ca/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Original-Recording/dp/B00008QSBZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1206978401&sr=1-3. I looked for it some years ago and didn't find it.

For me it's the best version. Of course, it having been my first musical there something personal about it.

The re-mastered original recording of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR is absolutely sensational from almost every standpoint. It has taken the 38 year old recording to a new auditory level and through a good synth you are treated to a surround experience rarely heard even from modern discreet recordings. The closely miked and intimate recording is a treat....it really is as if you're in the studio, surrounded by the actors and musicians, with voices and instruments subtly moving in the darkness of your mind...coming at you from every direction with a specificity of placement coupled with a use of space that is a joy to experience.

This two cd set is far superior to the original vinyl, and as many of you know, that is not always the case. If you are a fan of this piece it is a "must have"! If you have tepid feelings about it, it's worth it for the mc presentation and the quality of this nearly 40 year old recording. I've used both the Tate and a QSD-1 for listening and the Sansui wins hands down.
Dwight

Last edited:
So just so I'm clear... this is the correct album??

Attachments

• Jcs_us_cover.jpg
    Jcs_us_cover.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 276
Bob, Yes that's the cover for the record album. The re-mastered cd is white with the same logo. I'm not positive, but I believe the original cd also had the same brown backround.
Dwight

No, the original cd edition has a different abstract cover.

Attachments

• d853_2.JPG
    d853_2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 276
Back