marantz 4400

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckland 23

Hi .

I was wondering why the marantz 4400 go;s for so much money on ebay ? .Is it the top of the line in quad receivers . Can someone shed some light on this for me . The built in scope is one great thing as I see. how is the sound ? . also the add on proccessor cards for it is good i see.

So is it better than the technics sa-8000 quad I have . I think the sound is fantastic , or is the sansui sxq 9001 the best ? . So how has the best receiver out there of the time . Or can you use a denon receiver with a modern dobly surround sound 2 .. heard that you can decode sq from dobly pro logic 2 . But I tried from my pioneer elite sx37 that I sold on ebay last year . But the sound in the back channels were like sand paper scratching . Not very good at all and CD-4 did not decode well . The sound was to low to hear .

So if you have any info post to tell me .

Thank you :banana:

duckland 23 or call me dave .

I have the same question. I have an all original Marantz 4400 Quadradial that is in complete working condition and all the scopes and lighting works. My dad bought it new in 70's.

I'm debating if I should sell since I never use it, and if so, how much should I be expecting to get? I've seen some of these go on eBay for over $800.

Would love feedback on the best way to get a realistic value, and how and where is the best place to sell it.

I think there is a "mystique", for lack of a better term, for Marantz units. I must admit I have had little experience with Marantz but lots of "sterophiles" think highly of them, almost to the exclusion of all other units.
I think this is the main reason the Marantz units draw so much interest along with high prices, both on EBay and other sources.

MTGC (Michael)

Mystique perhaps, but the sound quality that warrants a strong reputation is definitely there. I'm a Denon guy for the most part for modern A/V functionality, but still own two Marantz amps.

The 4400 was the culmination of taking everything learned before to some illogical extreme perhaps. It's a classic. It may seem like the kitchen sink but they did stranger things to the Marantz brand later on that we don't think highly of today.

Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.....or alternately....directly proportinal to the hype it's currently receiving.

I own a Marantz 4400, it's a pretty decent component and pretty powerful for a quad receiver (4x50 watts / 2x125 watts) with a rather unique version of the Marantz family sound (i.e round and full) maybe a bit more rolled off at the top compared to the lower models.. Is it worth the $AU700 I paid for it.....that's debatable....I mean, I like it, but I've heard lower models way down the Marantz Quad line which I thought might actually sound better (..slightly lighter in the mid's and a bit brighter) but the 4400 definitely has a "High End" Quality to it's sound and a lot of music sounds very good on it. The Phono stage is also very good. The 4400 has an oscilliscope for metering, which is a cool feature and ultimately the real reason why people ask big bucks. Soundwise I'd probably be quite happy with a Sansui QRX-6500 and save $400.00.

Note that on most of the 4400's I've seen for sale (..for fairly serious money) the 'scope is NOT working.....avoid these....the 'scope is what gives these units thier value.

It's also a good idea to check if any decoders are included with the unit. These mostly aren't all that good but still add value to the unit and SOME decoding is better than none......I didn't get any decoders with my unit.

Last edited:
I too have a Marantz 4400 and I bought it new back in the mid-70's. Everything still works on it (except a couple of the tuning scale lamps) and I also have the remote control for it. I turn off the CRT display when I am not using it and maybe that is why it has lasted so long. I still have the store receipt, original box, etc. for it. I even bought the service manual from Marantz back then as well. So I am a bit biased I guess, but I love mine. Here is an ad back in the 70's for it. And I believe this explains why it is so great!

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/blueswapper/marantz4300.html

I have one that I bought new too, and I really like it. Still have the box and receipt.

Never had a problem with the ‘scope.

I was working at Sunset Sound Recorders at the time, and Wallich’s Music City put them on sale. Several of us went across the street and picked one up.

We made an adaptor that fits in where the SQ decoder would go. It lets you plug in any external decoder and switch it from the front panel mode switch. That’s where my QSD1 and Fosgate 101 are connected. That way one does not lose the tape loop functionally.

I picked up service manual as well. That’s how we figured how to make the adaptor.

the answer is YES - it is the top-of-the-line quad receiver marantz built and has a various amount of decoders that could be used with it - it is not the best quad all-in-one receiver - thats the sansui qrx9001 -:eek:- however marantz has "the made in USA" feeling for it and some will not do japanese - like many "made in the UsA" items out there - it will have a following for just that reason - a quick example is the Fender guitar - prior to a year i wont quote - because i will get it wrong - the years made in the UsA have a good ol' nostalgia to it and it will bring more money for that reason alone. however - unless anyone has another suggestion - undoubtedly the Marantz 4400 - sitting on a shelf - lit up - scope doing its thing is the most visually spectacular receiver EVER MADE....period. so arguments as to the performance of its quad abilities aside - this receiver holds its value extremely well.....and always will. again, another example is the jeep cj-5 - ive had one - absolute horror to drive - absolutely not a "definitely going to make it home" - vehicle - but it still increases in value - i have had one - bought it for 4500 bucks - had to fix stuff on it constantly - scared me to drive it - and i never new for sure i was going to make it from point a to point b without ...well...walking. however, 3 years later - i sold it - 5500 bucks - and had offers of more - but i literally talked them down - i live in a small town and didnt want to always see the buyer ...well....walking home (damn guilty conscience!:() - but they still sell - why? - "made in America" - and it has a following - this is true for marantz - and you and whomever else has one has the best damn looking machine marantz made - keep it or sell it - you'll get some good dough for it now - keep it for many more years in a closet - and you can still sell it for more dough - they are a standout amongst receivers and their owners should be proud.

the scope - it has a power board issue - pull the board - send it to chris ready - he will rebuild that board alone - about $100 - and the shipping is cheap - chris rebuilds the entire machine for "osoquick" and that seller gets good dough for them on a regular basis - but by the time chris is done rebuilding the entire machine - it is BETTER than new (hey, chris is made in America too)

just for the record - if you have a machine - any machine - that has errors and should be fixed in order to sell and to get the right amount of money for it - check this out - send it to chris ready - he does any and everything you need or want done to it - and you can sell it on ebay from his place - no need to ship it back to you - saves some dough and all is good.

here is one of chris' machines - repaired and wonderful - owned by someone else - but being sold from chris' place - i am going to run some "sitting around" gear through him this fall - i will let everyone know - they are going to be qrx 7001's and qrx 6001's completely restored and with LED lighting - so you will have the best sansui qs synth decoder made - at a price less than the qrx9001 - and with no issues - oh yeah, i am also having preamp outputs installed - for those who are power hungry!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-4400-BL...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item415142d338

osoquick also has a cabinet builder for his receivers - but if it doesnt need it - he will stick with the original.

here is a marantz 4400 that this seller is trying to pass off as - rebuilt or reconditioned - but i dont see anything in his listing of what was performed to deserve that description -

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-4400-SC...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a5ef5d3c4

i think he is just riding the coat-tails of "osoquick"

note that the "osoquick" receiver is a blue scope - a bit more rare for some reason...and for those looking is a bit more desirable - hence more dough.

so if you have scope issues - only - call chris ready in upper chichester PA - and ask him when he wants to do it - he will - thats how he makes his house payment - this is not a hobby of his - rather, his job - keep em coming so we can keep him in the business.

or do this - buy the "broken" marantz 4400 (remember, they all had power board issues - hence - broken) - for 2 to 4 hundred bucks - send it to chris - have him do his magic - and sell it for a few hundred bucks more than what you have in it - he's done it for me - he will do it for you. i should have done it with this one - hmmmmm cant find the listing to link it - it went for 245 dollars - but you get the picture. further note - here is one listed now - ends in 20 minutes - that scope board is out - not a big deal - buy it get it fixed and youre back in business -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-4400-Re...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a5ee241da

w.a.reid

I'd love to know how build and connect the external decoders Bonzodog. I never heard anyone do that. Any info would be appreciated!

I'd love to know how build and connect the external decoders Bonzodog. I never heard anyone do that. Any info would be appreciated!

I've devoted a thread to more or less just that subject...

Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

..but so far...(..apart from the mention of the outboard unit/adapter in this thread and the mention of the Outboard QS matrix Unit Chris Lee's bought and then sold on my thread)...no one else seems to have tried the decoder "self build" route.

If Bonzodog still has some info (..any info:)) on how they did the adapter for the 4400...I'd be interested..:sun.. and it would make a neat thread in the somewhat underpopulated hardware mod's section.....

It was easy with the Marantz because it has a pocket in the bottom of the receiver for an auxiliary decoder.

A circuit board was made to fit the edge connector. The edge connector had terminals for power, two audio outs and four audio ins.

The power connectors were not used. An audio snake was attached to the 6 audio terminals and their corresponding grounds. The short snake was terminated in RCA connectors.

That snake plugs into the Sansui QSD1. The tape loop of the Sansui plugs into the Fosgate.

The selector on the Marantz then picks Stereo, Discrete, internal matrix, or the Sansui. Pressing the tape button on the Sansui then engages the Fosgate.

It would be much more difficult to do a matrix decoder transplant than just making the edge connector with the audio snake attached.

I'll look through my old papers, and when I find the mod I will post it in the other section.

It was easy with the Marantz because it has a pocket in the bottom of the receiver for an auxiliary decoder.

A circuit board was made to fit the edge connector. The edge connector had terminals for power, two audio outs and four audio ins.

The power connectors were not used. An audio snake was attached to the 6 audio terminals and their corresponding grounds. The short snake was terminated in RCA connectors.

That snake plugs into the Sansui QSD1. The tape loop of the Sansui plugs into the Fosgate.

The selector on the Marantz then picks Stereo, Discrete, internal matrix, or the Sansui. Pressing the tape button on the Sansui then engages the Fosgate.

It would be much more difficult to do a matrix decoder transplant than just making the edge connector with the audio snake attached.

I'll look through my old papers, and when I find the mod I will post it in the other section.

Cheers mate...:)...thanks...:cool:(y)

What "other section" ? Were you ever able to find the mod by chance? I thought something like this would be a good idea about 8 years ago, but as usual, my ideas aren't exactly unique i guess. Thought i would use an old decoder for the board, and punch rca through the sides. Any direction on the mod would be welcomed.

I agree Chris Ready is the King.
My 4400 had issues with the amp and scope. Sent it to Chris for rebuilding and presto it was done so fast I was astonished. Now I listen to quad with outstanding results. Not sure what I will buy next but I am keeping my 4400.

Hi. I have a 1976 4400 that was completely rebuilt 2 years ago in Kitchner, Ontario by Doug at http://www.dnaelectronics.ca with the following work description:
Replace all electrolytic capacitors, including the main power supply filters. Electrolytic capacitors have a useful life of about 25 years (or less) before they begin to deteriorate. When practical, we replace electrolytic capacitors in the signal path with film capacitors. Film capacitors are better than electrolytics, but it isn't always possible to use them. We also replace the tantalum capacitors.
- Replace the protection relays.
- Replace the lamps.
- Replace the transistors that make up the differential pairs in the power amplifier stages.
- Replace any other faulty, hard-done-by or failure-prone parts (including any 2SC458 transistors that might be used in the receiver, as these are very failure prone; this is important!).
- Replace carbon resistors in the power amplifier stage front-end with metal film resistors.
- Test the output transistors for leakage, and replace as necessary.
- Repair failing solder joints.
- Clean all controls.
- Properly adjust the offset and bias and make other adjustments, as per the service manual.
- AM/FM alignment.
- General cleaning of the interior and the knobs, faceplate, and cabinet.

This 4400 has performed flawlessly. Its quiet and the music is alive. I mostly listen to vinyl: My setup consists of: Technics SL1200 II>ZU DL103 MC cartridge > Parks Audio Budgie SUT > Marantz 4400 phono stage > ZU Omen MKII X 4.

I originally bought the unit for $35 about 12 years ago from a garage tinkerer who had it. working. The rebuild cost less than $800 plus a tank of gas. I am more than pleased with the unit and think the cost well worth it. BTW, the scope is cool to watch, especially when playing well produced & mixed SQ-Quad records as the scope points to the speaker handling the instrument being featured with the sound stage putting one right in the middle of the band. But it also useful to help determine it your system is set-up correctly as the scope will indicate whether the signal is in or out of phase. Some exceptional sounding SQ-Quad records are Pink Floyd DSOTM - German press Harvest label; Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits -Columbia & Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills- Super Session- Columbia.

Listening to Ryan Adams-Live At Carnegie Hall (stereo) right now. It sounds incredible clear and detailed. I've been really lucky enough to have seen Neil Young play 2 acoustic shows at Carnegie Hall, a place that you have to experience to really appreciate, like really not appreciating the Grand Canyon of Niagara Falls until you experience it live. Ryan's recording and the play back through this Marantz captures the essence of that incredible room.

Thanks for the news. Always nice to find others who can deliver results. May be a Tuff put when you ship to Canada from US.
Explain what the regulation are???...I assume buyer pays duty, I think its wise to learn about international regulations or how you conduct business out the USA.
If you know more then let me know. I have a Akai 8 Track deck I want fixed now.

Thanks for the news. Always nice to find others who can deliver results. May be a Tuff put when you ship to Canada from US.
Explain what the regulation are???...I assume buyer pays duty, I think its wise to learn about international regulations or how you conduct business out the USA.
If you know more then let me know. I have a Akai 8 Track deck I want fixed now.

I'm not certain what the mail regulations are. I carried the Marantz over the border each way and I did declare what I was bringing in for repairs and that I I had the repaired unit with me upon return. There was no duty. Generally, any goods of North American origin are duty free each way but you are supposed to declare. I buy many things that are shipped from Canada and one supplier of SL 120O based in Canada actually crosses the border to mail from the post office a block from my business. Once I had 100 sq ft of hardwood flooring shipped from Canada to US and only had to pay the Customs Broker's fee but then i carried home a Canadian made bbq grill worth $2K and no duty need to be paid.

As far as the tape deck, email first because I know that as of last year Doug was not taking any more tape decks as he was getting inundated with them and he had plenty of receivers to work on. I have a 70s vintage Pioneer Cassette deck that needs repair and he wouldn't touch it. Wait time on the Marantz was about 6 months.

If you or the Involve Audio gang can make one of these to adapt a Surround Master to a Marantz Quad, I'd grab one.

What would the advantage be vs. sending the SM's 4 RCA output channels into my 4300's 4 aux inputs? What does the tape loop add?

Back