I don't listen to STEREO anymore, do you???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blu-ray.com lists it as LPCM 2.0.

Yes, exactly. My point is that it doesn't make any sense unless the original alleged 4-track release only used two channels.

I expect stuff like this from the majors ("Jesus Christ Superstar" had 4-track mag prints...the first, non-anamorphic DVD was DD 4.0 but every release since including the Blu-ray is 2.0), but for Criterion to do this without explanation is weird.

I'm thinking of getting a surround master in the future...is it better than the "modes" on your receiver?..any advice in that area?

I had a B&K AVP4090 for years and it processed surround from stereo quite well after an upgrade. Last year it gave up. No more center channel. So that's when I sprung for the Surround Master. It depends on what you are listening to though. The B&K worked very well on some titles while the Surround Master does it on others.
The big advantage with the Surround Master for me is the QS and SQ decoding. My old SQ in my Marantz never gave me the separation I wanted and I never had a QS decoder. I'm now going through my QS collection and they never sounded better.
Phil

Enjoying all CDs and movies through the Surround Master. Rear channels are active most of the time.

When I have surround available, I listen in surround. I have three sets of surround speakers in my house.

There are several cases where I do not:

- When I am driving an automobile, I do not want surround sounds to be confused with sounds from the traffic.

- When I am listening to records made before 1958 (before there were 45-45 stereo records), there is often a lot of noise in the back because they did not control for noise in the vertical direction in the groove. I switch to mono for those.

- When using a boom box at a picnic or other event, I am stuck with stereo. But I do have one boom box that has surround speakers.

-When listening to AM radio.

- My clock radio is mono.

Old Thread, but...

I never listen to stereo anymore either. For any stereo vinyl, reel (or 8-tracks) I use the quad surround synthesizer on my QRX-9001, which is FANTASTIC. For any stereo digital sources I use my Sony DA3300ES in Multi-Stereo to just double it in the rears. It does have quite a few Dolby Pro Logic options which I haven't really explored quite enough...

Listening to Buddy Holly "From The Master Tapes"... just a lowly stereo CD, but man what a great sounding CD (mastered by Steve Hoffman)... this would sound great in hi-rez surround (or would it?:mad:@:)

I will never stop to listen to stereo, because
some of the greatest music isn‘t availale in 5.1.
Truth is, I hear a lot more music in stereo.

When there is a 5.1 mix, I listen to this version...!

I will never stop to listen to stereo, because
some of the greatest music isn‘t availale in 5.1.
Truth is, I hear a lot more music in stereo.

When there is a 5.1 mix, I listen to this version...!

Surround music is a bonus...but the overwhelming amount of music is in non surround applications...if you only listened to surround you would limit yourself and not hear some of the best music every produced..

5.1 is the main thing for me.In my music/film room I only play 5.1(or more)I have lots of CD's and stereo SACD's
that I will never play again.I even have LP's and 2 player's gathering dust.
In the living room however I have Spotify and play CD's occasionally.

I occasionally listen to STEREO and that is only when I want to hear a performance that was not recorded in discrete multichannel.

Listening to Buddy Holly "From The Master Tapes"... just a lowly stereo CD, but man what a great sounding CD (mastered by Steve Hoffman)... this would sound great in hi-rez surround (or would it?:mad:@:)

I'm happy with the newly released SACD by Buddy but I just picked up that CD on Ebay...thanks for the tip...I grabbed a used one for $8.49 delivered....still some available HERE

Most of what I listen too is stereo at home and in the car. I believe this has to do with the music I listen to, rock, hard rock, metal, blues, country and jazz. I do not listen to anything other than those 5 genres. There are many surround releases within those 6 that I always seek out. As far as using my machine to change stereo to multi speaker, I do not do that. Most of the time I just like cranking the music loud and listening while I do things in the house. I cannot sit and listen for hours, it is not healthy for me. Sitting and listening with a couple of beers and listening to great surround music can definitely be fun though.

I'm happy with the newly released SACD by Buddy but I just picked up that CD on Ebay...thanks for the tip...I grabbed a used one for $8.49 delivered....still some available HERE

Let me know what you think of the sound... the general consensus on other forums was that it is the best sounding Buddy Holly collection; I love the way it sounds (hard to believe it was recorded so long ago!)

Let me know what you think of the sound... the general consensus on other forums was that it is the best sounding Buddy Holly collection; I love the way it sounds (hard to believe it was recorded so long ago!)

I'll compare it to the new SACD...I can never get enough of good CDs that aren't compressed:)..I think that was before people knew much about Hoffman...

One could say worse than novelty. :rolleyes:

The type of music you listen to doesn't work in fake quad. The type of music I listen to can sound amazing using SpecWeb. The new Bjork release for example. It is very much an album by album thing. The proper genre and a mix that works. I mostly listen to stereo when that was the way it was recorded but some releases scream multichannel and up-mixing works on a small percentage of them using the SpecWeb process. I don't do any processing on the fly, not even watching TV. If a multichannel recording is really poor, I have no problem switching to the stereo track. YMMV

Of course, my response is based on personal experience and there were no exclusions in the original post/query.
As ever.

Sorry but I took your rolling of the eyes thing to mean something else. Thanks for the clarification.

Back