Ok, Pick Just ONE title you REALLY, REALLY WANT IN MC(with conditions)....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Ok, here's the deal:

Pick ONE cherished album that you'd like to see remixed to MC. Yeah, I know we've probably done this before. Here's the difference this time:

1. ONLY ONE TITLE--no ties, no lists, no bullshit, you only get ONE...:D:mad:@: Should make everyone focus a bit, right? Forced to choose, and all that, it should really, really matter to ya! :phones

2. The title has had no known previous release in any MC format. Period. In other words, you might think some title needs a truly well done quad re-treatment--say, CREEDENCE GOLD, for example--but no, can't choose anything that's already been done.

3. Try to choose a title that has a reasonable chance of still having multis from which a (hopefully great)5.1 mix could be fashioned. That leaves out some stuff for which tapes are long gone(a lot of Atlantic/Atco titles, alas), which unfortunately forces out many vintage albums, and even some more recent ones. And needless to say, anything that does exist with three channels or less can't really be fashioned into a 'to die for' MC title so why even bother? Still, there might be a special one that....

Here's my pick, took a while to be sure I wanted it to be The One, but here 'tis:

IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING, King Crimson's 1969 debut, is, IMO, one of the very few 'prog rock' albums that still holds together, has a real kick, vitality, imagination, and--natch--shamelessness in its own importance that keeps it a great listen today. And of course, a great production, varied arrangements, and sheer power and audacity. It's a little bit of everything: pop("I Talk To The Wind," the lyrical passage of "Moonchild"), demented rock("21st Century Schizoid Man"), some kind of avant-garde jazz("The Illusion" passage of "Moonchild")and some potent Mellotron-laden extravaganzas("Epitaph," "The Court Of The Crimson King")that make the Moody Blues' excursions seem positively sedate by comparison...:D

A 5.1 remix of this little masterpiece would be mind-boggling, the potential for some serious gloriously creative mayhem ala BSS, but on an even wilder scale. I'm *hoping* the multis still exist, presumably in a UK vault. The stereo CD has been mastered at least three times(original '83 Polydor, and two subsequent re-masters done with Robert Fripp's participation).

Attachments

• king.crimson.court.gif
    king.crimson.court.gif
    76.1 KB · Views: 697
Unfortunately, "In The Court of the Crimson King" is known to be missing some of its multitrack tapes.

My #1 pick for an album to be given the 5.1 treatment is "Olias of Sunhillo" by Jon Anderson.

J. D.

Jethro Tull Thick as a brick

(if only someone will decide to release the already-mixed Elton John... Don't shoot me!)

Unfortunately, "In The Court of the Crimson King" is known to be missing some of its multitrack tapes.

Since DOFP and BAT OUT OF HELL were assembled without all the multis, we can only leave out a title if these are known for a fact to be lost or unusable. Apparently too much was missing from the Moodies' ISOTLC to make a quad mix the band and producer could live with, but unless someone can shed more light on CRIMSON KING's tape situation, we can't be sure how much is not available. That's the mystery and hope of it all, but no one seems interested in assembling many vintage titles for 5.1 these days, and the longer the wait, the less likely we will ever get anything.

ED :)

TRAFFIC: Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

(Beatles titles are a given :D)

David Byrne & Brian Eno - My Life in a Bush of Ghosts

This is second only to the Talking Heads' "Remain In Light" on my wish list (got to cross that one off!) Maybe lightning can strike the same place twice?

AFAIK ELP Trilogy has been released as a Canadian-only Q8. Never seen one, however...
Would you move your bid to Tarkus? That would had been my second choice after TAAB.

Here’s one with as reasonable a chance of seeing the light of day as any: Al Stewart’s “Year of the Cat”. Can’t help but imagine what Alan Parsons could do with the multi’s of that one. (Hello Alan, are you out there?)

King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull and Traffic really all of the above are excellent choices. I would also love to have the Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit. This is a great overlooked album. I think this would be an excellent Multichannel disc. Whether there are tapes to support an MC creation I do not know.

Jellyfish, "Spilt Milk", 1993. A sonic masterpiece in stereo. So many glorious sounds and textures to work with. Unfortunately, due partly to the onslaught of grunge in the early '90s, this album never got the recognition it deserved. But those who know this album have unfaltering adoration.

Jellyfish, "Spilt Milk", 1993. A sonic masterpiece in stereo.

A great choice, I remember this S. F. Bay Area band quite well. (y)

My choice if it's not the Sex Pistols “Never mind The Bollocks” would be 1974’s sonic metal masterpiece by Sweet, "Sweet Fanny Adams." The Sonics fly on this album as well as really rocking hard, with a sense of humor and much texture in the way it was recorded. This was the real deal and well before the poser hair bands of the 1980’s that tried to copy the style, but had no spirit or clue what the music was originally all about.

Sweet "Sweet Fanny Adams"

1. Set Me Free
2. Heartbreak Today
3. No You Don't
4. Rebel Rouser
5. Peppermint Twist
6. Sweet F.A.
7. Restless
8. Into the Night
9. AC/DC

The American version of Sweet’s “Desolation Boulevard” would be cool as well since it contains many songs from Sweet F. A.

1. Ballroom Blitz
2. The Six Teens
3. No You Don't
4. AC/DC
5. I Wanna Be Committed
6. Sweet F.A.
7. Fox on the Run
8. Set Me Free
9. Into the Night
10. Solid Gold Brass

I really want this in multi-channel!

Attachments