HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor fidelity, poor surround, poor content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A release from Porcupine Tree. (y):sun(n)

"The sun is a lightbulb............:sun"

Attachments

• lbs-f.jpg
    lbs-f.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 563
  • lbs-b.jpg
    lbs-b.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 570
Apparently shipping, some people have now recieved their copies.
Still waiting for mine!!

same boat as you Neil, I have at least had the mail, I noticed on the Hoffman forum Americans were receiving theirs at the start of the week !!

I take it as a good sign it looks like Burning Shed were swamped with pre orders and i should still get it before official release date.

i wonder how this would affect any chart position Not that it matters very much with the smaller record companies as long as they break even on each release.

I recieved mine yesterday in NYC but have to wait for the weekend to listen properly though.

I received mine yesterday. It came via Royal Mail. Boy that made me feel special ;-).

Does anyone besides me hear an annoying pop when entering or exiting the main menu? I've listened on two different players and it happens on both when making selections involving the main menu.

I like the low volume due to lack of compression at which this disc was mastered. Makes you turn the volume up (about 10dB higher than normal for me)(a la Ziggy Stardust) and then it sounds really, really good.

I'll need to listen to the music more to let it grow on me as I'm only familiar with a few of the tunes. Early and raw Porcupine Tree for sure.

Got to love it. Thanks to all involved.

Just rec'd my copy (CT, USA) - direct from the mailbox to the player - first listen = sounds great, not overly familiar with all the songs but like what I hear - will wait for a few critical listens to weigh in further.

Early and raw Porcupine Tree for sure.

Not really so early, it was like the 6th proper album from the band. I am not counting the instrumental album, live release or the various versions of "Voyage 34".

Lightbulb Sun is like a polished diamond compared to the acid trip music they produced at the very beginning.

Greg

I received my copy this morning and I'm listening to it as I type on my computer (via Creative Mediasource player). I will load it up in my main system later. First thing I noticed was the lower volume compared to other dvd-a discs I have. Just crank it up a little and it sounds great, nice to see it's not compressed. The mix and sound is top notch as always with PT. This is my first experience with the Lightbulb Sun album, so all the songs are new to me. The album's reminds me a bit of Stupid Dream, but it's entirely unique in it's own. That's the nice thing about Porcupine Tree compared to many other artists where all their albums and songs sound the same. I really love the guitar work and the vocals on this one. Next I went to the video portion of Lightbulb Sun (via Powerdvd on the computer). Don't worry about buying this if you don't have a dvd-audio player, the full bitrate dts sounds great as well. Regarding the "pop" from entering/exiting the main menu mentioned earlier. On my Creative Player there's no menu, it just plays the songs, so I tested this in my Powerdvd. When playing the video_ts there's no pop in the menu, however when accessing the dvd-audio portion I do hear a "pop" or loud click right at the begining of the menu and two pops at the end of the menu. Maybe Neil can comment on this? Not a big deal, but noticeable. All in all, a glorious release in the desparate barren wasteland known as dvd-audio surriound sound.

I received mine yesterday as well (on the 10th). I only listened while sitting in the sweet spot for a song or two, but I still had it playing while I was doing other things in the room. Sounded very good, I can't wait to give it a critical listen. I noticed the volume difference as well. No big deal though, just turn it up more. :phones Having all these PT DVD-A's makes me want the rest of the albums to get the same treatment. My first thought when I finished listening to lightbulb sun was "I wish Signify was in DVD-A too". All in due time i suppose. Until then, I'll be enjoying not less than FIVE of their albums in surround! :banana:

I noticed the volume difference as well. No big deal though, just turn it up more. :phones

You make it sound like a bad thing! ;) I must admit that all of this talk about this disc being a soldier in the loudness war has me excited and I can't wait to receive my copy from CD-WOW. Kudos to PT for taking the high road to dynamic hi-fidelity. (y) I don't think this can be understated. . .the best sounding recordings should sound BETTER as you turn up the volume, not worse. :phones

This is one of the finest DVD-Audio discs I own, and I own a lot!

First off, I had never heard these songs, so listening was totally a new experience for me. I popped it in the Acura and drove around with it a while. The first thing I noticed was that the surround mix was tremendous. There were vocals all over my car :D, and it drew attention to the music. The lead vocal is generally in the solid center channel, and at times varies from clean miked to a "telephone call" effect. The harmony vocals appear in the discrete rears, and at times sound like they are "overhead". In some songs the voices eminate from all 4 corners, which gives a chilling choir effect. Overall an amazing mix.

After a few plays of the first few songs, I was immediately drawn to "How is Your Life Today". What a remarkable surround mix. A very simple song that gains complexity as it goes on. The placing of the vocals is genious. The entire song plays like a daydream, and makes one think of a George Martin Beatles production (of sort). Totally brilliant.

The next tune to grab me was "Shesmovedon". This song should have been a huge radio hit if radio once again played music. :rolleyes: Another attention grabber for the surround mix, this is a perfect example of how to make surround showcase a tune and take it from great to perfection. Vocals are "everywhere"! :D Everyone I've played this tune for liked it from the very first verse. A tremendous song, with a great solo electric guitar in the center channel towards the end.

Next on the list of infection is "The Rest Will Flow". Again, a tune that grows on you and sticks in your brain and sets for a while. Not as spectacular a surround mix as the previous two mentions, it's still impressive none the less. Another song that should be heard by many and will probably not be. A shame.

The title tune, Four Chords, Hatesong, these are all great tunes and really grow on you when you listen to them on repeated spins. "Russia on Ice" is an adventure, and this entire disc is a perfect example of what DVD-Audio can do, and I have yet to play it in the house and look at the screens.

If you like music and you've never heard Porcupine Tree before, I implore you to order this disc while you can and give it a chance. No matter what your age, I think you will really like this disc. Once I can actually bring myself to taking it out of my car, I'll check out the menus and stuff.

If you own a DVD-Audio player, you really should get this disc!!!! :phones

PS: It's a TEN! (y):smokin

Regarding the "pop" from entering/exiting the main menu mentioned earlier. On my Creative Player there's no menu, it just plays the songs, so I tested this in my Powerdvd. When playing the video_ts there's no pop in the menu, however when accessing the dvd-audio portion I do hear a "pop" or loud click right at the begining of the menu and two pops at the end of the menu. Maybe Neil can comment on this? Not a big deal, but noticeable.

It's a random bug in Sonic's DVD-A creator.

If you like music and you've never heard Porcupine Tree before, I implore you to order this disc while you can and give it a chance. No matter what your age, I think you will really like this disc.

And Stupid Dream too!

LS is starting to really grow on me as well. I've noted elsewhere that it immediately sounds more commercial to me than the other PT releases. I think it's a combination of production values and the fact that these songs bury themselves deep inside your head very quickly. (and the drums are different... that's not Gavin) Where's Tim? Has he achieved nirvana in the sweet spot? (does that sound sexual? and it there a connection between sex and surround music? That could really boost sales :D ) I'm interested in his considered opinion of LS as well.

Jon, I assume that you are quite used to the difference of car listening vs home and mentally factor in the outside noise etc., but I'll be interested to read your comments after a listen or two on your main system.

Awaiting this one in my mailbox... The bass sound in the last part of Russia On Ice has always been my favourite when testing loudspeakers. This one is a HELL of a $%^ù;;,§/¨ bass sound. I'm craving for experiencing it wth a real subwoofer :)

I hope many of you will purchase this album. It's pure genius. The best of former, "classic" and modern PTree altogether.

This is one of the finest DVD-Audio discs I own, and I own a lot!
If you own a DVD-Audio player, you really should get this disc!!!! :phones
PS: It's a TEN! (y):smokin

Great review Jon! I totally agree.
I might add that the bonus tracks are awesome as well.

Regarding the "pop" from entering/exiting the main menu.

The "pop" noise is a bit annoying. Of course the easiest way to avoid this is to just skip the menu and push play instead of door close, taking you straight to the music.

The bass sound in the last part of Russia On Ice has always been my favourite when testing loudspeakers. This one is a HELL of a $%^ù;;,§/¨ bass sound.

Yes, starting at around 9:30 into "Russia On Ice" you get to test drive your subwoofers. With my Definitives and Sunfire sub, the whole room was vibrating! :D

Yep, it gets a 10 from me.

Dennis

Horray Arrived today and Boy is it worth the wait, I have slowly been buying up all of the other PT albums on the back of the previous DVDA's This album is by far the best of teh bunch i had only heard a couple of songs of this album and tried to avoid it since Neils little announcment last year.

great stuff needs a further couple of listens but what a good album and brilliant 5.1 mix.

Jon, I assume that you are quite used to the difference of car listening vs home and mentally factor in the outside noise etc., but I'll be interested to read your comments after a listen or two on your main system.

I don't feel I lose anything by listening in the car. The outside noise gets drown out by volume :)D), and the car, to me, is perfect for surround sound -especially when the system is designed specifically for that car (Acura). More perfect than a room with respect to a fixed listening spot. In the car, I'm always in the same place, and have the level adjusted as such.

Still, I am looking forward to hearing it on a powerfull full range system!

Hello all! I received my copy of LS yesterday in the mail and this morning had time to listen to it all.

Now I was wondering if any of you experienced the same problem as I do: glitches in:

- Shesmovedon (at the beginning)
- Last Chance to Evacuate... (somewhere in the middle)
- The Rest Will Flow (at the beginning)
- Hatesong (around the 27:14 mark of the disc)

I have this on both the stereo and the 5.1 DTS mix. And these are the only songs that have these glitches. It's annoying to say the least but I wonder if it may be my player or something else. Other DVD-As I have don't have that problem (aside from Stupid Dream with Pure Narcotic that also has has a glitch in the first verse).

Also what's up with the IMMENSELY loud bass at the end of Russia on Ice!!??!!?? I thought my subwoofer was about to explode! Anyone else noticed that?

Apart from these things: great sound, great mix and a STUNNING superb version of Buying New Soul!

Back