HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor fidelity, poor surround, poor content

• Total voters
Have listened complete.
I gave this one a 9 rating simply because although sonically it was stupendous (as usual) and the surround mix is exactly what it should be, I find the material to be a bit more on the "light" side.
I like the PT stuff post In Absentia as it is heavier and darker. This is simply a personal taste thing - no reflection on the musicianship and overall talent this amazing band displays time and time again.

I have had no "glitches" in playback...

Now I was wondering if any of you experienced the same problem as I do: glitches in:

Just listened to the dts mix, no glitches here.

I like the PT stuff post In Absentia as it is heavier and darker.

I actually like both the lighter and darker material. The lighter (more acoustic) seems to lend itself better for Hi-Rez surround. I think it's wise of them to mix it up and have both as it opens them up to a wider audience.

Also what's up with the IMMENSELY loud bass at the end of Russia on Ice!!??!!?? I thought my subwoofer was about to explode! Anyone else noticed that?

The bass is supposed to be like that. It always has been. I guess you should set your system for the disc based on this portion so things don't get out of control.

Anyway, those Canadians that have not ordered it can pre-order from amazon.ca for a very good price considering the free shipping over $39 and the fact that you will have no customs to contend with. Although my order from the UK came to my mailbox with no customs. But the general release date now seems to be May 27th. By then I will be on to something else.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lightbulb-Sun-...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1208034740&sr=8-3

Oh, and I give this disc a 10.

The bass is supposed to be like that. It always has been. I guess you should set your system for the disc based on this portion so things don't get out of control.

Thanks for the info. I have adjusted it already:)

As for the glitches: I seem to be the only one experiencing them. I'll test it in two other players tomorrow or Tuesday and see if it's my disc that's acting up or if it's my player...

There are certainly no glitches either on the masters, or on my copy either.
Not at all sure what the problem could be - I wonder if the player is skipping for some reason?
What is your player as a matter of interest, please??

stunning.

more please... what's next Neil? Signify (hint, hint)

this one goes to 11.

oh, wait... there's a misspelling of compatible on the back cover *LOL* -1

its a ten!

There are certainly no glitches either on the masters, or on my copy either.
Not at all sure what the problem could be - I wonder if the player is skipping for some reason?
What is your player as a matter of interest, please??

Mine is also perfect. Other than the noise entering the menu which you have already explained.

Here I am finally; got the postcard Wed, LS DVDA pkg Thurs, played the 2007 stereo mix Fri and didn't get to the DVDA until Saturday. So we can now load the 5 disc DVD-A changer and enjoy the albums as released to DVD-A (3-4-1-5-2) in whatever order we like.

I believe I'm the only one who's been chronically downcast about this album, and fans of the album surely got tired of that. The upside is this; the 2007 re-issue mixes have changed my mind and this appears to be the most improved re-release so far! Listening to the 2007 stereo mix on a quick store trip in the car was amazing; for a mix that supposedly has "minor differences" compared to the original 2000 mix, it sparkles with improved clarity and updated bass energy of a more modern release. The songs rushed out to greet us in fact. Promising indeed.

The DVD-A 5.1 mix album soundscape begins so precise and delicate and goe through the gearbox smoothly (adding instruments) as you become accustomed to the newfound authority of the way these familiar songs unfold before us.

My theory for this album is that it was either written during a down period (Shesmovedon, Hatesong, Where We Would Be = breakup?) or that it somehow ended up just a tad off (for lack of a better term) in the arrangements or mixing of the final product. TRUTH: Stupid Dream was likely a very hard act to follow!

Given how great the 2007 mix sounds, I wondered how satisfied SW was with the original release at the time. He sure stepped it up with the new stereo mix; bigger differences by far here than those of the 2006 mix of Stupid Dream. Relatedly, he did re-cut She's Moved On as the hidden bonus track on Deadwing. Sure it was a chance to have Gavin Harrison's drums on the tune but that version doesn't offer much improvement IMHO and now the 2007 mix puts the original version up a notch or two...

Playback was perfectly glitch free; I found the menu layout and animation to me the most ambitious and well designed of all the releases for me. Steven took bigger risks in mixing LS than SD and that is a welcome developement, not that Stupid Dream is lacking for detail in the mix whatsoever. The bass in Russia On Ice has been mentiioned as massive, that is true. LFE bass appears for emphasis earlier in this DVD-A mix, thinking it was during Hatesong. Have to play it again. FYI - There was a lone example of a bass drum part featured prominently for a few bars in Tinto Brass on Stupid Dream. It's in your face selectively and then it's folded back down into the mix.

GREAT release, most improved IMHO, love the bonus tracks in surround, love the bonus 2 track CD included because I forgot about Novak and the true CD quality of the Buying New Soul ext version that'll replace the MP3 quality of the Media page version over on Residents Of A Blank Planet.

Very pleased with this release and it would be nice if SW would consider a surround only compilation of earlier PT tracks if the albums themselves (prior to Stupid Dream) are not in the planning stages already. But this DVD-A without hesitation because its an honest 10! :)

Last edited:
As I have been following this band a bit for some time, I though I share a bit of information (nothing official)
..makes me want the rest of the albums to get the same treatment. My first thought when I finished listening to lightbulb sun was "I wish Signify was in DVD-A too". All in due time i suppose.
The word is that this will be the last of the PT reissues in 5.1 (can always hope of course). The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify were reissued as "expanded double CD's" and before that Porcupine Tree was a solo project. The sought after "leftovers" album Recordings is still on the reissue list and although half of it is already released in surround, as bonus tracks on SD and LBS, it will most likely be a normal CD.
We can be very happy that Steven Wilson did Stupid Dream and this one in surround on DVD-A. For more of that we should be looking at new stuff (or maybe side projects like Blackfield or Bass Communion).

My theory for this album is that it was either written during a down period (Shesmovedon, Hatesong, Where We Would Be = breakup?)
Exactly. Maybe this is the reason why this is SW's least favorite of the bunch.
(and the drums are different... that's not Gavin)
Chris Maitland was the drummer (and harmony vocalist) for 8 years and this is the last PT studio album with him.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope this is not the last 5.1 re-master from SW . Apart from being a PT slave I believe that over time Sw is going to be in high demand for his skills in the studio and as he has said himself often enough , his own early material would certainly present a huge challenge but I recall what they achieved with the Zeppelin 5.1 dvd from even dodgier source materials .

If push came to shove though , at least his new material whether it be solo , Pt , Blackfield or No Man will be very welcome . He puts others in the 'industry' to shame

~M~

I sincerely hope this is not the last 5.1 re-master from SW . Apart from being a PT slave I believe that over time Sw is going to be in high demand for his skills in the studio and as he has said himself often enough , his own early material would certainly present a huge challenge but I recall what they achieved with the Zeppelin 5.1 dvd from even dodgier source materials .

If push came to shove though , at least his new material whether it be solo , Pt , Blackfield or No Man will be very welcome . He puts others in the 'industry' to shame

~M~

And let's not forget that he is working on the King Crimson catalogue.

Great sound and it is SW's most adventurous mix yet. I'm not sure if it's quite up to the best of PT, but it is a very good album. So, it's a borderline 9/10, but I prefer the spelling of compatable, so a 10 from me.

I agree. Great sound and an adventurous mix. The tunes are running through my head now unbidden. The Rest Will Flow is a gem.

Its not up to the usual quality of PT but is an excellent collection of tunes. I'd give it a 9.5 if the choice was available, but I've reconciled myself to understanding that all that popping is the lightbulb sun switching off and on.

I give it a 10.

This one is pretty easy - I give it a 10. The surround mix is very satisfying as are the well-crafted songs. It is interesting to hear SW being so personal as he tackles such a soul-bearing subject (being rejected and accepting the finality of the situation). Sounds like it could be a real downer of an album but the band makes it work. Very enjoyable to listen to.

I'm on my first listen to the DVD-A right now. This sure is a LOT different then the Stereo mix.

I had a chance to listen to the new stereo mix CD on my way to and from work today. It's pretty much the same as the original stereo, although a couple of things stand out:

The bass is mixed a little more "in front".

The drums sound a bit better too.

And perhaps the biggest difference between the 2000 and 2007 stereo mix is that it's not mastered nearly as hot. There is certainly more dynamic range.

My only complaint about the new stereo mix is that they didn't remove the 16 KHz whistle that's in much of "Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled." Maybe it's supposed to be there, but I can not imagine why.

"The Rest Will Flow" also sounds a bit different in the new stereo mix, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

The 5.1 mix is totally different though.

@Neil:

It must be my player: a Harman/Kardon, don't know the exact type (and admit that I'm too lazy too run downstairs and check), 2 or 3 years old. But I've checked it in my grandma's Panasonic and a friend's KEF and they played just fine without any glitches so it MUST be my player. Oh well, too bad I guess, it's not the end of the world. At least my favourite track "Russia on Ice" is glitch-free:)

Thanks for the assistance though!

Wow. I have purposely put off listening to LS for about 15 mos now (so it seems) since I learned it would be remastered on DVD-A. Hearing it again now reminds me of my initial thoughts about the album, that it was a bit more "sing-songy" than other stuff I had heard from PT (I am an In Absentia convert & have gone back through the past catalog like many others have), but I somehow seemed to gloss over the deep emotion & darkness of the lyrics. In contrast, I'm now finding a lot more lyrical substance here than, say, FoaBP. In all, I'm glad I gave LS a rest & can re-discover it now.

Amazing fidelity, nearly perfect surround treatment. I can't add much more other that what you have all added already...except MAN, do I love the bass lines on this disc! My sub kicks great w/ this disc & tickles the nether regions...DVD-A doesn't get much better than this!

10!

Amazing fidelity, nearly perfect surround treatment. I can't add much more other that what you have all added already...except MAN, do I love the bass lines on this disc! My sub kicks great w/ this disc & tickles the nether regions...DVD-A doesn't get much better than this!

10!

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I think this one and Stupid Dream clearly are the best regarding the sonics and the 5.1-mix. I love everything they have released from SD and onwards, but these two have a very special place in my heart, also regarding the pure musical content.

And the bonus tracks on LS are out of the world. I have never heard Disappear before and it is fantastic, and so is of course Buying New Soul.

This new version of Lightbulb Sun is too good to be True...

//Uffe

This is a perfect disc, in every way. I never thought much of Lightbulb Sun before (I felt it was somewhat inconsistent and bland compared to PT's other albums) but this re-release made me fall in love with it instantly. I actually cried on Russia on Ice.

The surround mix is stellar, on par with In Absentia and Stupid Dream and thus much better than the FoaBP mix (in my humble opinion, of course). The sound quality just couldn't be any better.

Congratulations to all the people involved, this disc is amazing :D

OT: In comparison, I also got the new mix of Opeth's Still Life (which is DTS-only, by the way :( ) and the difference is huge. Even though the Still Life mix isn't bad, you can definitely feel that LBS was crafted by people who really know their stuff and aren't afraid to open up the mix, while whoever does the Opeth mixes still seems to be a bit more "insecure". Not pointing the finger, though, I'm infinitely grateful that people actually go through the trouble of making these 5.1 mixes in the first place. Keep up the good work!

SCANS ADDED: To first post - sorry for the delay! :eek:

Back