HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor fidelity, poor surround, poor content

• Total voters
Have listened complete.
I gave this one a 9 rating simply because although sonically it was stupendous (as usual) and the surround mix is exactly what it should be, I find the material to be a bit more on the "light" side.
I like the PT stuff post In Absentia as it is heavier and darker. This is simply a personal taste thing - no reflection on the musicianship and overall talent this amazing band displays time and time again.

I have had no "glitches" in playback...
I couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly how I feel about the title. I love it and the mix is absolutely phenomenal; perhaps the best surround mix I've ever heard. The music is amazing as well, but not my very favorite from the band. Nine points here. If I didn't have "In Abesntia" and "Deadwing" to compare it against, I'd give "Lightbulb Sun" a ten.

This is a perfect disc, in every way. I never thought much of Lightbulb Sun before (I felt it was somewhat inconsistent and bland compared to PT's other albums) but this re-release made me fall in love with it instantly. I actually cried on Russia on Ice.

The surround mix is stellar, on par with In Absentia and Stupid Dream. The sound quality just couldn't be any better.

Congratulations to all the people involved, this disc is amazing :D

I think the acoustic guitar playing and more reflective mood that has been set perfectly compliments the lyrical content. This is a great surround release and I shed a few tears on the last track, 'Feel so Low' after listening all the way through. The lyrics are quite sad but yet the music is so beautiful, again great album. I like all of PT surround titles to date as they all bring something different to the table. This ones a '10' for me.

Best Buy still has the deal. I had to resubmit my order today since the last order just went poof. As if it was never there. Just hope I didn't pay for something I didn't get.

(Well, looks like I'm getting two of them now. The first one just arrived and the 2nd one just shipped. Don't know why it didn't show up in my account)

Comes in a SACD case, and slipcase.

Last edited:
stunning.

more please... what's next Neil? Signify (hint, hint)

this one goes to 11.

oh, wait... there's a misspelling of compatible on the back cover *LOL* -1

its a ten!

Sadly I don't think we'll see Signify released in this format. When I interviewed SW about surround sound stuff he mentioned it very unlikely that anything pre-Stupid Dream would be released in this format, mainly due to the technical limitations of the earlier recordings and the time it would take him to transfer the multitracks from ADAT into Logic to do a new mix.

I played this DVD-A in my new JVC KD-AVX33 and I was really happy with this title when listening to my home system in quad (no center channel or sub) but when I listened thru my surround car system I noticed that the DVD-A portion of it doesn't upmix the center channel.

I don't seem to remember the same issue with FOABP though...

I

"The Rest Will Flow" also sounds a bit different in the new stereo mix, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

The original version was sped up because the record company felt it had the potential of a single, thus needed a little more punch. The 2008 remix is now at the initial speed.

I played this DVD-A in my new JVC KD-AVX33 and I was really happy with this title when listening to my home system in quad (no center channel or sub) but when I listened thru my surround car system I noticed that the DVD-A portion of it doesn't upmix the center channel.

I don't seem to remember the same issue with FOABP though...

Of course it doesn't.
No DVD-A players do any form of either upmixing or downmixing as a rule.
If the stream is a 5.1 stream, it should contain either a downmix or a dedicated stereo mix as a PGC block, or else if the disc is played in a stereo setup it will simply output just L & R, ignoring the rest.
I have never heard of any player deliberately putting centre channel content to L & R unless it is set that way in firmware for some strange reason.
By the same token, playing this on a quad system will simply cause you to lose the centre & LFE completely - unless the player allows you to re-route the channels that are missing, which will completely change the entire sound of the record. It is not created as Quad, and is not meant to be listened to in Quad. It's your choice though.....

As far as FOABP not doing the same - unless this is caused by replication, then this is not possible as both were created on the same system using the same methods.
The sole difference between FOABP & LBS is that FOABP was replicated by Sony DADC, and LBS was done by someone else.
And that should not change the playback.

I think the acoustic guitar playing and more reflective mood that has been set perfectly compliments the lyrical content. This is a great surround release and I shed a few tears on the last track, 'Feel so Low' after listening all the way through. The lyrics are quite sad but yet the music is so beautiful, again great album. I like all of PT surround titles to date as they all bring something different to the table. This ones a '10' for me.

I have been listening to LS on and off for the last month and I agree this is a sensational surround release. I love the slower melodic tracks on this dvd-a. Feel so Low is haunting and beautifully done. Stupid Dream has always been my favorite PT disc, but I cant stop listening to LS! I give it a 10.

After absorbing Stupid Dream for 8 or so listens, and loving every minute, it was time to move on to my second PT experience. There is nothing I can add to what Mr. Urban posted perfectly 16 months ago.

This is a 10!
(And thank you again members for turning me on to PT.)

Hi everybody, this is Rodrigo from MĂ©xico. I've been reading this forum so much, so I was wishing to be in since weeks.

Bought this album like 3 weeks ago, well I have to say that im a bit new in the surround world, and i think it was a great way to start my hi-fi collection.
Anyway the sound is amazing, I love the way Steven makes use of the dynamic range (a badly forgotten tool in the general music market), and im not only talking about the surround sound, but the musical one.
We can find that every song is made in a really masterly way. Every album of Procupine Tree I've heard has a wide baggage of clean sounds and beautiful soundscapes.

The package is good (jewelbox), is just that I didn't now that there is a new digibook version coming soon (i´ve should wait for it).

My grade... 10/10!

One more thing: I've noticed that the dvd-a market is falling, but even in this bad times, I will be supporting the format as Steven continues releasing (and re-releasing) PT, Blackfield, or any project he has in dvd-a.
By the way I've seen the King Crimson threads, i can't wait to listen those beautiful editions. Thanks to Steven for making this dvd-a editions.

(sorry if my english is confusing :eek: ) by the way, Im 18 years old.

10!

I like the bonus content, in particular "buying a new soul"... One of my favourite PT tracks....There always seems to be lots of great bonus stuff.

Feel so low, Shesmovedon and Russia on Ice are other highlights.

10!

I like the bonus content, in particular "buying a new soul"... One of my favourite PT tracks....There always seems to be lots of great bonus stuff.

Feel so low, Shesmovedon and Russia on Ice are other highlights.

You're right, there's a bunch of b-sides (and bonus tracks) that could appear on a regular studio album without a problem. And that makes me wonder that is not about quality (they're so high) but space or recording dates.

Finally starting to play many of my hi-rez discs in 5.1 after years of living staunchly in the 2 channel world.

Lightbulb Sun is the first disc that really shows me how good 5.1 can be.
The discrete touches here and there, especially background vocals, are very nicely done. Nothing "over the top".
And this is a very good album IMO regardless of the number of channels used.

My first 10, though it may not be the last once I try my other PT discs in 5.1

Last edited:
I find this very intriguing. I always noticed that you were stereo only and always wondered why. It's very interesting that now you are playing the surround mixes. What was it that made you change?

Why was I stuck in the stereo world? A few reasons:

1. My 2 channel system is better than my 5.1 system in the TV room. Figured I wasn't getting the most from the recordings in the 5.1 set up.
2. I use the Denon 3930 in the 2 channel room to play SACD and DVD Audio (in stereo ;)) and a Sony Blu-ray (no SACD or DVD-A) in the TV room.
A bit awkward to disconnect and haul the Denon upstairs, then connect all the 5.1 analog outs into my old receiver.
But I still do it from time to time, usually to play discs (Tom Cochrane, Natalie Merchant, Little Feat), or bonus tracks, that are 5.1 only.
3. Have so much 2 channel music I can't keep up....not enough time to play the 5.1 mixes.

What prompted me recently was the Midnight Oil dts disc I bought real cheap.
It's MC only so I had to play it that way.
Guess I was in the right mood because I thought to myself "this actually sounds pretty good".
So I tried a few more for the hell of it and have been enjoying them all despite the "inferior" playback system.
Played Weather Report's Mysterious Traveler last night....great.
Plus some recent tweaks to my surround system settings and maybe the listening choices were more conducive to my enjoyment.
Last thing I'd tried previously was the Isley Brothers 3+3 and that sounded goofy in MC.

The solution, I suppose, is to get a less expensive universal for the TV room so that moving the Denon around ceases to become a deterrent.

Back