HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - LIGHTBULB SUN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor fidelity, poor surround, poor content

• Total voters
A tenner...
Has taken me YEARS to "warm up" to PT's music (not the mixes, and musicianship-those are exquisite...just as I have mentioned before, it somehow leavs me cold-well SW IS a Scorpio and they tend to be on the "Cold" side, emotionally..at least in their outwards appearance....they are not very good at showing their emotions).
Now I have this, SD, TI, FOABP /and NMB's TWS and SW Insurgentes on DVD-A and would like to get IA, but it's RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!
Jon did a great review which I agree with...

I went on a hunt for surround music today and at Best Buy of all places, in 2012 I was able to find this, and was REAL glad I did. $15, too, a real bargain compared with the $25 they were asking for the Deluxe SACD of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

I really wanted to check out PT after hearing the Aqualung 5.1 mix... and I was glad I did. I'd never heard anything from this band before, and I'm going to be making sure to hear much more now. 10/10 for me.

What I'd love to hear in surround, that "Russia on Ice" really reminded me of, is Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway. That album culminates in "Duk Koo Kim", which lingers just as ROI does on this record. That, to me, would be the best surround experience.

I went on a hunt for surround music today and at Best Buy of all places, in 2012 I was able to find this, and was REAL glad I did. $15, too, a real bargain compared with the $25 they were asking for the Deluxe SACD of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

I really wanted to check out PT after hearing the Aqualung 5.1 mix... and I was glad I did. I'd never heard anything from this band before, and I'm going to be making sure to hear much more now. 10/10 for me.

What I'd love to hear in surround, that "Russia on Ice" really reminded me of, is Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway. That album culminates in "Duk Koo Kim", which lingers just as ROI does on this record. That, to me, would be the best surround experience.
You will not be disappointed when you listen to the other PT and related dvd-a's.

I never grow tired of this release. It's audio quality/mixes like this that compel me to sit in my man-cave's sweet spot, crank the volume, and not move until it's over. Sitting here on a Saturday morning listening to this for the umpteenth time. What a remarkable mix and exquisite sound quality. I think I'll stay right where I am and make this a Steven Wilson 5.1 day.

I never grow tired of this release. It's audio quality/mixes like this that compel me to sit in my man-cave's sweet spot, crank the volume, and not move until it's over. Sitting here on a Saturday morning listening to this for the umpteenth time. What a remarkable mix and exquisite sound quality. I think I'll stay right where I am and make this a Steven Wilson 5.1 day.
Right on! My only deviation would be I hardly ever crank the volume anymore. Other than that you have, with your example, captured the essence of what listening to surround is all about. What a great post.

Right on! My only deviation would be I hardly ever crank the volume anymore. Other than that you have, with your example, captured the essence of what listening to surround is all about. What a great post.
Thanks for the props. I live in a detached house and my set up is in our finished basement. So when the wife's away, the house will shake!

So I finally decided to start voting on Porcupine Tree DVD-As. I became a Porcupine Tree fan (2005) much before I started collecting multichannel music (sometime in 2009). For many it is the opposite...
There remain my all time favorite. Music here is offcourse a 10 and so is overall...a sureshot 10.

This is an awesome disc in every respect. Top notch sound quality, perfectly mixed surround - all fully discrete, exceptional use of the surround channels but no gimmicks. Being SW it's also un-compressed in mastering so possible to play very loud with no ear pain. Also happens to be one of Porcupine Tree's bets albums, but hey: I could say that about any of them!

This one is great. 9/10 for me. I am loving every PT 5.1 release thus far Only 'Dream' to purchase then i have them all. None below 9.

It's Porcupine Tree...how bad can it be?

OK - so the DVD-A is WOW! Amazing....as all you PT fans knew it would be. I'm so glad to have this one. I gave it a 10.

With the upcoming release of "Hand. Cannot. Erase.", I thought I would take a look back at this disc, one of my favorites from Porcupine Tree, both in terms of its music and its surround mix.

This album begins with a song that is one of my favorites from Porcupine Tree, and that is the title track. The surround mix is particularly effective in the choruses when the distorted guitars come to the forefront, and each time it occurs it seems to get bigger and bigger. Fantastic! (also how about that drum fill from Chris Maitland about 3 mins in?! WOW!)
The next track "How Is Your Life Today?" is a surround showcase, with voices enveloping you in front and behind. Following this is one of Wilson's frustrated music industry songs "Four Chords That Made A Million". There's a few gimmicky moments in this one, a guitar solo that spins around your heard. Thankfully it works pretty well if you ask me.
After that it's a classic, "Shesmovedon". I do however prefer the version that appears as a hidden bonus track on the DVD-A of "Deadwing". There's a little bit of play with the vocal at one point in the song as it bounces around the room in Quad-style.
"Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth…" is one long title, but it's a fun surround mix for sure, particularly in the instrumental second half with the dialogue in the center channel. This song has some great keyboard work from Richard Barbieri, which is highlighted in the surround channels.
Next song "The Rest Will Flow" is a lovely pop song with great string arrangements and lots of wonderful vocal layers in the surrounds.
Following that is the "Hatesong", which over time became a highlight of Porcupine Tree shows when played live. Colin Edwin's bass part is a wonderful foundation for everything else to add in on top, particularly in those wonderful improvisational moments in the middle and at the end. Richard's keyboard solo is another surround highlight. He may not have the technical chops but he has great sounds! The drums also come a little more alive towards the end as well with great tom parts filling up all speakers.
"Where We Would Be" has Steven's rhythm guitars and vocals filling up all of the speakers with great envelopment, framing his melody in the center. Steven's electric guitar solo also comes in from behind.
Then we get to my personal favorite on the whole album, "Russia On Ice", one of the most ambitious tracks ever conceived by Porcupine Tree, a masterpiece for sure. More great strings arrangements on this one. It's a slow builder, but it does pay off, not only in those magnificent choruses, but in the incredible instrumental jam out at the end. There's some particularly great playing from Barbieri and Maitland. Pure magic!
The album does end on a quiet note with the plaintive "Feel So Low", but thankfully, I don't feel that way after listening to this album.

In case you haven't gathered from the massive number of '10' votes, this disc is a big winner all around and comes highly recommended, especially since it is still easy to find for a good price! :)

With the upcoming release of "Hand. Cannot. Erase.", I thought I would take a look back at this disc, one of my favorites from Porcupine Tree, both in terms of its music and its surround mix.

In case you haven't gathered from the massive number of '10' votes, this disc is a big winner all around and comes highly recommended, especially since it is still easy to find for a good price! :)

And if the original album was not enough, you have some splendid bonus tracks in surround as well. Buying New Soul and Disappear is very good songs made even better in 5.1.

And if the original album was not enough, you have some splendid bonus tracks in surround as well. Buying New Soul and Disappear is very good songs made even better in 5.1.

True. I had to shut it off last night before I made it to the bonus tracks due to the fact that it was getting rather late for loud volumes, but I absolutely love the bonus tracks. (Also don't forget about the beautiful "Cure for Optimism" too!) :)

After listening to this for just the second time today. I'm speechless. A 10...11...12 if it were possible.. In my mind PT's best. WOW.

After listening to this for just the second time today. I'm speechless. A 10...11...12 if it were possible.. In my mind PT's best. WOW.

Yes, it made it onto my eenie-meenie-miney-mo rotation a couple of weeks ago. Our group's rating of this surround sound album is most definitely not a case of "grade inflation." An absolutely outstanding album that holds up over time. A rare case of an album that can really appeal to us old farts embedded in the classic rock era. :banana:

I have several reservations, musically, about this album but without a doubt it is superb other than the track/tracks I don't' like. exceeds my expectations and I will give it a 9!!!

Great sounding disc! I feel the drumming on this album is far too simple, I simply can not get into it, but at least the bass guitar sounds nice.

Back