Is it really all over for HD DVD? SlySoft don't think so.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PS3 has been breaking even for several months now, even at the $399 price point.

The losses in the fiscal year representing the PS3's launch are similar to the launch of the PS2. Everything comes down in price.

The blue laser diode used in the PS3 was $125 at launch; it is now $8.

Let's not mention MS' $1.89 BILLION settlement on the 360 eh? With the PS3 sitting only 4-5 million behind the 360 in worldwide sales I guess they're both pitiful by your count?

Dream on.

BD+1.0 was broken, several months after it came out. On the day they announced they had cracked BD+ wide open, there was already one title on the market not cracked; Hitman. I spoke with Slysoft and they said it could take 4 weeks for them to get the physical disc, then they could work on it.

If Fox starts implementing new variations of BD+, the public has to wait 4 weeks from each release until Slysoft can crack it. I wonder how many peopel they'll need working on it if all studios start using it in different incarnations.

My guess (actually, moreso knowledge) is that Fox are pretty pleased with the first implementation of BD+.

There is a lot of anti-Sony sentiment from some members at this forum for reasons unknown to me, but it must go back a ways. Now, for some reason, there is a lot of anti Blu-ray sentinent expressed. Thanks for bringing some balance.

I do think you are relying on optimistic sources for the believe that Sony is breaking even on the PS3 now, but it is clear the losses are way down. If Sony has about $3 Billion in losses to get 14,000,000 PS3 consoles in consumer's hands, that is considerably worse than Sony did with the PS2 at this point in the PS2 life. We won't know for years if Sony will be able to recoup the investment and make a profit but long term, breakeven isn't going to be easy and may never happen is how I see it. Since I purchased a PS3 and about 80 Blu-ray titles and have the opinion the PS3 is an amazing media player and game console and also an incredible value, none of the other discussion matters much from my point of view.

Chris

" There is a lot of anti-Sony sentiment from some members at this forum for reasons unknown to me, but it must go back a ways. Now, for some reason, there is a lot of anti Blu-ray sentinent expressed. Thanks for bringing some balance."

Maybe its because certain people think ' poor liddle Sony' cant / wont stand up for themselves when accused of rootkits and other sins :)

I do find it very interesting , the indecent haste with which industry elements are attempting to completely bury all traces of Hd-Dvd as a format , even down to the $50 rebate if you give back your player . I wonder if Warner had that their customers interests would have been better served by going Red instead of Blu would the Sony/Blu team have ' gone quietly into the night ' for the good of the industry ?? I dont believe so .

I dont believe its all hatred of Sony alone though . The Blu BS publicity machine of the last 2 years have left some of us with a degree of apathy to accompany our distrust ;)

~M~

I wonder if Warner had that their customers interests would have been better served by going Red instead of Blu would the Sony/Blu team have ' gone quietly into the night ' for the good of the industry ?? I dont believe so .

That's a strange sentiment, as studio support would have been split evenly down the middle were this to happen, whereas with Warner going to Blu studio support went over 70/30 to Blu-ray. It doesn't seem like a comparable situation at all.

I dont believe its all hatred of Sony alone though . The Blu BS publicity machine of the last 2 years have left some of us with a degree of apathy to accompany our distrust ;)
~M~

Yes, I'm sure Toshiba feels the same way about Microsoft.
To date I'm not aware of anything Blu-ray has promised me that they haven't delivered. The profile 1.1 date being pushed back may have irked some people but personally the massive difference in consistency in audio support from Blu-ray as well as the sheer difference in supporting companies made supporting Blu-ray an easy decision for me and supporting HD DVD seem like a massive risk.

" To date I'm not aware of anything Blu-ray has promised me that they haven't delivered. The profile 1.1 date being pushed back may have irked some people but personally the massive difference in consistency in audio support from Blu-ray as well as the sheer difference in supporting companies made supporting Blu-ray an easy decision for me and supporting HD DVD seem like a massive risk. "

Maybe if you'd waited as long and patiently on Hd as you did on Blu it too would have delivered ???Its all irrelevant now anyway . Its certainly a new age when companies expect consumers to buy into an 'unfinalised' format ( and some of them do amazingly :) )

I do agree on Blu audio though , the HD sides audio laziness with regard to DD+ was just as baffling as the Blu teams ( Fox in particular ) tendency to underuse the much vaunted capacity by carrying over all previous extras and thereby make the PQ/AQ 'upgrade' easier to justify for average consumer .

Very strange ,

~M~

I didn't wait on Blu-ray at all, I bought my first disc in November 2006 and now have just over 120.
:)

Needless to say, if Blu-ray follows in the footsteps of DVD then it should take around 7 years of being on the market to outrent DVD and 2.5 years to have a title sell one million copies. Perhaps with titles like Indiana Jones, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, etc., hitting the market before this holiday season and the 12+ million Blu-ray playback devices already in consumer's homes, Blu-ray will beat DVD to those milestones?

My inbuilt sarcasm detector was wavering slightly there, but I think it was being too sensitive.
However I assure you, I have no watermark detector, at least last time I checked. :) I like to backup my discs.

frenchglen,

When you backup your discs, are you just archiving the 4/5/6 wav files, or are you re-creating a new DVD-Audio disc? Everytime I try that, I get the old "10 second play, then stop" watermark deal. :mad:@:

I suppose just creating DTS CDs of them would be the best way to make a universal copy for backup.

Back