kempfand's Adobe Audition 3.0 SQ and QS Scripts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the rear-channel out-of-phase condition, I tried an experiment last night. I took the Ls and Rs channels and pasted them into a new stereo WAV, then used the Invert command to turn them 180 degrees. This seemed to result in a much more robust stereo image in the back pair, and a new DTS disc burning using these inverted channels sounds fuller too, so I think Arconada's thoughts on this are correct.

Could I just invert each mono wave by 180 degrees? Or do you have to do it as a stereo wav?

Dunno, Bob. I don't even know if I did it right, since the spectral phase view didn't show much change afterward. I'm hoping Arconada or maybe Neil Wilkes will chime in here with some definitive instructions.

Sorry in advance for this probably noobie question, but in reading the whole thread at "PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE," I noticed that in the early testing of this decoding process, people were doing it manually. And one of those testers recommended that an initial attenuation of -6dB be used because "during the sum-difference process with only -3dB I went offscale frequently, even if the final result was perfectly into the -3dB range." I infer that this meant that clipping occurred during some of the intermediate steps even though the final waveforms were below 0dB (not good!).

After this, a script was introduced, and then many testers (but not all) used the scripts instead of the manual approach. And I notice that the instructions for the newer scripts all seem to call for a -3dB attenuation of the SQ-encoded wave before running the script, rather than -6dB attenuation. Therefore, I wonder if clipping is potentially occurring in the intermediate steps but not being noticed when the scripts are used.

What ever happened to the -6dB recommendation? Was it deemed unecessary? Or was it decided that processing everything at 32-bit in AA avoided clipping anyway? Or was it ignored because only one person ever noticed the "offscale" problem? Or what?

Could one of the experienced users please clarify? Thanks for your patience with a newcomer.

p.s. - I think it was "winopener" who noticed this issue and recommended -6 dB.

I agree with Puck, you need a -6db Attenuation with this SQ script. When I used that, I noticed I had peaks as high as -2db during portions of the audio processing.

I have tried 3 of of the SQ scripts, so far this script is the only one to have Rear Center in phase, the other 3 I've tried had Rear Center at 180 degrees out of phase in the Rear Channels.

Andreas - I just purchased a copy of Audition 1.5 on eBay - will your scripts work with 1.5 or only 3.0? I've never tried decoding SQ or QS with software but I consider myself tech savvy so what would be my next steps?
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

I just downloaded the SQ script for AA3 and decoded the channel positions section of the Project 3 popular science SQ test record...all channels decode with great seperation EXCEPT the right rear doesn't seem to decode at all...it is in both fronts at equal volume to right rear. Is there a flaw in the script? or is there a new script I need? aa3 pic.jpg

update: I just did the opening of the "Chase" SQ LP and the right rear suppression in the fronts is better than the project 3 LP but still not as suppressed as left rear. I'm wondering if my cartridge caused some sort of phasing error while recording but the script still seems a bit off

chase_aadecode.jpg

Can anyone point me to the latest AA3 script?

i thought that these scripts were long out of date and improved upon by others. sorry but can't help more than that

Great stuff, thanks!

I found the script under the Adobe "File" menu, not "Options".

And on my system I had to put your script into a my user directory under "My Documents>Adobe>Audition>3.0>Scripts, which is perhaps a preference somewhere.

I modified your script to use another drive letter.

Thanks again. Great work.

I have updated the SQ and QS scripts to run with Audition 3.

Have also adjusted the small guides / walk-through I created before.

Enjoy,

Andreas

OK, we have THIS script, Lucanu's script and OD's script...
NONE of which actually achieve TOTAL separation,,,,
WHICH ONE is the most "EFFICIENT"????

I come here once a year to check out all the 'Script' threads for the same answer!
I know there are a few Scripts that work terribly well but the people that have them keep them to themselves, and fair enough if they have had a hand in tinkering.
I used to have a couple of scripts that are not here anymore and were kind of recent, They were GREAT much better than the ones you find here now, But I had a HDD failure and lost em, which saddened me more than anything else i lost on that failed drive!
Im only 3 hrs into my yearly seach of the threads Hopefully ill come up with something. \
What I know about the SQ ones, I ran hours of tests on the ones on here and a older one sounded much more 'open' and the back channels were great, then some there was this one that everyone lauded but it cut the top end away and made horrible artifacting in the rears, yes it had more separation but at the loss of much quality. Ive not had another go at SQ yet so don't know which one is better, Im re-going though my QS first.

It would be nice if there was a thread combining all the publicly available scripts and we could argue the effectiveness of each, Might be fun! Hell I might just do that, we could also share our methods sopmeone might be doing something in the process and someone might be doing something else and we could combine say all our 'methods' and come up with some kind of standard (which could always change when someone elses 'thing' comes along and is proved to be gold), so when new people come on here it could be the one stop script thread rather than read miles and miles of outdated information.

I come here once a year to check out all the 'Script' threads for the same answer!
I know there are a few Scripts that work terribly well but the people that have them keep them to themselves, and fair enough if they have had a hand in tinkering.
I used to have a couple of scripts that are not here anymore and were kind of recent, They were GREAT much better than the ones you find here now, But I had a HDD failure and lost em, which saddened me more than anything else i lost on that failed drive!
Im only 3 hrs into my yearly seach of the threads Hopefully ill come up with something. \
What I know about the SQ ones, I ran hours of tests on the ones on here and a older one sounded much more 'open' and the back channels were great, then some there was this one that everyone lauded but it cut the top end away and made horrible artifacting in the rears, yes it had more separation but at the loss of much quality. Ive not had another go at SQ yet so don't know which one is better, Im re-going though my QS first.

It would be nice if there was a thread combining all the publicly available scripts and we could argue the effectiveness of each, Might be fun! Hell I might just do that, we could also share our methods sopmeone might be doing something in the process and someone might be doing something else and we could combine say all our 'methods' and come up with some kind of standard (which could always change when someone elses 'thing' comes along and is proved to be gold), so when new people come on here it could be the one stop script thread rather than read miles and miles of outdated information.

Hi. ade42

I totally agree with you we need someone like your self and others to put the most up to date scripts together here in one place and any advancements that have been done and can be done & A TO B tutorial for newcomers that can follow and do for themselves.
I have been wanted to get into scripts to decode SQ & QS but I am not that great with computers.
Bill....

Hi all,
I've just found this forum. Great work all.
Does this script run on CS3? I have CC but the scripts there are jsx files.

Andrij

You need Adobe Audition 3.0 Available here. http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/AUDT/ADBEAudition_ESD1_WWEFGJIS.exe

Serial no. 1137-1004-8571-6848-7845-8029

Also the patch. Available here. https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237

The scripts are SCP files which are just text files.

Ah, Thanks. It looks like these are Windows files. I'm running OSX. Looks like I'm going to have to try and get a VM set up unless there's a Mac version.

I apologise that I am very late to this party, I have just installed AA 3 on my 'VM Set Up'.

I understand that I have to edit the scp files to replace occurrences of Drive I:\ to suit my system. But I can't find 'Scripts' on the Audition Options menu.

Last edited:
I apologise that I am very late to this party, I have just installed AA 3 on my 'VM Set Up'.

I understand that I have to edit the scp files to replace occurrences of Drive I:\ to suit my system. But I can't find 'Scripts' on the Audition Options menu.

It turns out that it was the Files < Scripts option I wanted. Can these be run in batch - I have about 10 short tracks I want to decode. Perhaps its better to concatenate the 10 files in one album wave and separate afterwards..?

Afterwards - how do you save the results as a four channel file?

(I used Audacity which I know a bit about - but there must obviously be a way in Audition)

Last edited:
It turns out that it was the Files < Scripts option I wanted. Can these be run in batch - I have about 10 short tracks I want to decode. Perhaps its better to concatenate the 10 files in one album wave and separate afterwards..?

Afterwards - how do you save the results as a four channel file?
I think from memory that you start with two identical stereo files (named front and back) and they become front and rear following the processing. Reading through the script should shed some light

Yes I ended up with two stereo files named front and rear. I saved them both with meaningful names and then loaded them into Audacity on my Mac. I then exported the files as one 4 channel flac. The result sounds quite good from my Oppo.

Back