Wagner - Goodall's Ring SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone know if this was all in Quad, or just 3 out of the 4 sets?
I have all 4, and only 3 are marked as SQ Quad.
Siegfried is apparently stereo.
(The Rhinegold, The Valkyrie & Twilight Of The Gods are all EMI SQ)

There is also a boxset version on ebay right now, and this also has a straight stereo only siegfried.
I was wondering if anyone actually knows the state of the set?

Neil, try examining the matrix numbers in the dead wax area of the runout groove on the disks. I believe most EMI disks have an SQ indicator here. First check one that you know is SQ. If it isn't marked as SQ as part of the matrix number, then the results are inconclusive. But if it is marked as SQ, you should expect Siegfried to be marked as well, if it is SQ, or not marked, if it is stereo.

Thanks Cai.
It's inconclusive though.
The Rhinegold has Q2EA-xxxx-x in the inner area of the disc:
Siegfried has 2YEA-xxxx-x
All 4 have the SLS prefix on the actual box number.
There is also a boxed set of the box sets currently on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150248536075
(I am currently going for this one, as although I have the 4 separate boxes, they are on permanent loan, and are slightly less than top condition ("well-loved" is the euphemism, I believe) and I do not have the overall box.
I also think these would make a wonderful DVD-A set as the performances are legendary (only English version, plus they were so well sung at the time. No modern renditions I have heard even come close to these for sheer quality)

I am fairly certain that Siegfried is unmarked Quad - and I could always run one part in & put it through a script, I suppose (No Tate for me, sadly) & find out for certain

The "Q" prefix in the matrix number might be a quad indicator. I'd check all of the disks to see if that pattern holds. If Siegfried is the only one that doesn't follow the "Q" pattern then I'd surmise that it is not quad.

Back