BACH: Quad Organ Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guy Robinson

The disc I am referring to is:

BACH: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues on the Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg - played simultaneously from one console by E. Power Biggs - Sony Classical multichannel SACD SS 87983:

There are not very many reviews for classical music so I thought I would post one. This is a 5.1 remix from a quad mix done in 1973 and being 4 banks of organs (one bank in each speaker) it is a real test of your soundsystem. Biggs doesn't have all the banks going full out all the time but when he does have them all going full-tilt it is something to hear. I had this title on LP and whenever the low pedals were used in the Toccata and Fugue in F major the stylus actually jumped out of the groove. After playing this disc for a few minutes I had to set all the speakers to small as being a pipe organ disc (and a quad one at that), it is a whole different ballgame from everything else that I have in my hi-rez collection. So in the Tocatta mentioned above, What you get is a 16hz pedal note (about 30 seconds) followed by a 25-30hz sustained pedal note (over a minute long) and nothing seems to be
entirely localized to the subwoofer. So if you keep your speakers large you are going to get some of that 30hz information. Too much for my gear over that long period of time. Even set to small there is a great amount of bass information in the rears around the crossover point. It sounds great I must admit when you funnel all the deep bass into the subwoofer. Everything keeps it composure. With my subwoofer, the 16hz note is barely there. You can just tell that there is a low note occurring but with no volume to speak of. The 25-30 hz pedals are very much there. Are the sides still on my subwoofer? In all a great disc which makes me realize that the fantastic system I thought I had is just
passable on a disc of this type mainly due to the bass information. The other thing is that it has similar volume issues that the PG discs have. The quiet parts are quieter than I would like them but the loud sections are just right. So I guess I am saying it is because of the dynamic range
of the recording. When he gets all 4 organs going it is not quite like anything I have heard before. Chills up the spine. What this disc really needs is 4 floor standing loudspeakers with built in powered "woofers" and a separate subwoofer tuned to operate between 12 and 50 hz. Oh and the rest of the frequency spectrum on the disc sounds great as well.

Agreed. It's a good Multichannel SACD, with the original 4 organs in 4 speakers mix still in place.

Well I got some courage tonight due to the consumption of a quart of 7% beer and I set all the speakers to large and I cranked the volume to a notch before “overload” and guess what! The whole soundstage opened up! WOW!!!! That low bass note that goes on for over a minute is now in all the speakers to some degree. Before there was bass that would rattle the chair and now there is bass that rattles everything in the room and makes your eardrum go into overdrive. You know that fluttery feeling as your eardrum is vibrating? This is wonderful and probably causing great amounts of structural damage to the house and to me. And through it all you could hear clearly the tracking of the upper and middle registers coming clearly through the bass "fog" from all of the speakers. I guess I am going to have to drink more from now on to take those extra chances. Seriously, this is a great disc for those that want to see what their systems can really do.

Very interesting. I had the volume cranked up on a new SACD last night. Lots of fun.

Perhaps time for the same treatment on the E. Power Biggs Multichannel SACD !

I'd seen this one before I'd read the above review and had thought about purchasing it, but after reading the review I just had to check it out. Just the first few minutes alone are worth the price. Crank it up and enjoy!

It's very enjoyable. And also a good example of how a '70s analog Quad mix master tape can be updated and released on a new technology like SACD Multichannel Disc.

Back