How many titles in total?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Mark (or anyone), any idea how many titles in total there are in your discography? Someone asked me how many quad albums were released, and I wasn't sure of the answer, other than "hundreds."

J. D.

Interesting would be quantity of the titles worldwide - including Brazil, Polynesia, Italy etc. p.p. I think, more than 1000.

Dietrich

There used to be an MCS guy Larry from Virginia who actually put a U.S. Quadography together and was working on an international. Haven't heard from him in eons either in or out of the quad world, so dunno.

I'm not sure there's any real way to know any EXACT number...but my guess is, about 3,000 titles were issued in some kind of quad worldwide. Just a guess. Of those, we can probably be safe to assume that classical titles had a big cut, the balance belonging to all other genres(which, comparitively speaking, were underrepresented). There were also a few hundred(at least)samplers/comps/demos. Can't imagine trying to collecting them all(though apparently, judging by some eBay Shocker prices, those fanatics are out there).

ED :)

There used to be an MCS guy Larry from Virginia who actually put a U.S. Quadography together and was working on an international. Haven't heard from him in eons either in or out of the quad world, so dunno.

That would be Larry Clifton, who's actually a member here but hasn't come around in a while. He still has a website where he sells some quad LPs.

Mark Anderson's website is a direct spin-off of the "Quad Incorporated" booklets, and he credits it as such.

Here's a link to Larry's webpage

I've been compiling my own database for a while now, which started with Mark's stuff but expanded with my own research. My current count of albums is 3,085; if you count each version of each album (LP separate from 8-track separate from reel tape separate from Japanese vinyl separate from French cassette and so on), I've got 4,931 and plenty more to be added.

Last edited:
I've been compiling my own database for a while now, which started with Mark's stuff but expanded with my own research. My current count of albums is 3,085; if you count each version of each album (LP separate from 8-track separate from reel tape separate from Japanese vinyl separate from French cassette and so on), I've got 4,931 and plenty more to be added.

Have you found anything that is not in the discography that could be added?

Just stumbled across this post of mine from 2012. Five years later, my counts are now at 3600 titles (specific albums), and over 6800 versions (almost double). And as I find more obscure stuff, it just keeps on growing. I got into this in the first place because I assumed there was a finite number of possibilities. Theoretically, that's still true, but how long can this go on?

Just stumbled across this post of mine from 2012. Five years later, my counts are now at 3600 titles (specific albums), and over 6800 versions (almost double). And as I find more obscure stuff, it just keeps on growing. I got into this in the first place because I assumed there was a finite number of possibilities. Theoretically, that's still true, but how long can this go on?

Will your list be made available at some point? It would be grand to have access to such a reference. :)

Will your list be made available at some point?
It would be grand to have access to such a reference. :)
Yes - so many people are still working off Larry Clifton's original BOOK as in Bound Paper Document and the various digital incarnations thereof that it's ridiculous.

Such a vinyl-reel-and-8-track-quadrography needs to be published and added to by others as information permits - like all the other musicographies on www.bsnpubs.com

I have been compiling an Excel Spreadsheet for the last ten years concentrating on just popular Q8 titles both released and unreleased (either proven existing or simply mentioned in passing magazine articles).

It's been a daunting task, but in that time I've catalogged all the Romulus titles and even uncovered some Tanqueray titles the Clifton Discography didn't mention!

I have been compiling an Excel Spreadsheet for the last ten years concentrating on just popular Q8 titles both released and unreleased (either proven existing or simply mentioned in passing magazine articles).
Presumably there is also some reel to reels and LPs that haven't been catalogued yet either. I keep hearing about a 2 reel 7-1/2 IPS Fiddler UA soundtrack album with a booklet but nobody ever has a picture.
It's been a daunting task, but in that time I've catalogged all the Romulus titles and even uncovered some Tanqueray titles the Clifton Discography didn't mention!
Any Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire?

My list is in a Microsoft Access database. When I can figure out how to put it online somewhere, I will gladly share. And all credit to Mark's Surround Discography, which is still your best go-to resource.

My list is in a Microsoft Access database. When I can figure out how to put it online somewhere, I will gladly share. And all credit to Mark's Surround Discography, which is still your best go-to resource.

Jay, I would be happy to host your database on my site, if I can help any way just let me know. I could provide a link for a download or put up pages. It might get me motivated to to get back in the swing of things and do some updates as I am near the end of a three year project in a couple months

Well, I've got Bacardi! But I can only offer you a double (stereo), not a quad ;)!

Bacardi Party.jpg

Sorry to derail the thread, but the gin joke just did it for me.

Back