Police Hits-Multichannel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to mention here is that the Police SACDs will be released in the UK on Monday in Hybrid Layer format.

So Police fans who want to get Hybrid versions of the titles other than "The Hits" will now have that option.

A couple comments, from previous posts:

1. The surround mixes used on the new disc are the same ones used on the old DTS disc.

2. Someone inquired about the remake of "De Doo Doo Doo." As far as I know, this one first surfaced on the DTS disc, and has never been available anywhere else (or in a standard stereo mix, for that matter). Basically, it's from the same sessions that produced the remake of "Don't Stand So Close to Me" in 1986. At the time when the group was assembling the original "Singles" collection, it was decided to remake a few of the songs. As it happens, they only completed two, before friction and tension within the band sent them scattering again. (And it didn't help much that Stuart Copeland had broken his leg and was unable to really participate much in the sessions. Notice that most of the drums on those two tracks are in fact drum machines.)

I still find the surround mixes of these tracks (either the DTS or the new SACD version) are some of the best out on the market. It's really too bad that they didn't go the extra mile and done surround mixes for all of the albums. And I'm genuinely miffed that they didn't bother to release hybrid versions of the albums (forcing people to essentially buy the albums twice if they want to listen to them virtually anywhere OTHER than on their home stereo system).

Regarding the alternate version of "Da Doo Doo Doo" that appears on the M/C mix of Police/Hits:

I spoke to Rory Kaplan, the remix engineer about this. He said they were unable to locate the original multitrack tapes for this song, and with Sting's blessing, used his original demo instead.

Expect missing multitracks to become a growing problem in the coming years of multichannel remixes. As many of you know, DTS was forced to shelve a M/C version of Steely Dan's "Aja" when they were unable to locate multitracks for two of the seven cuts.

Found a copy of the Police Hits at Best Buy this weekend.
Apperently I've heard that DTS is longer making this disc so I was glad I tracked it down.
I was happy with the sound of the disc , just enough action in the rears to keep me happy.
Dougi

Actually David Tickle was credited as the 5.1 remix engineer on the Police Greatest Hits disc.

As for more missing tracks from older albums, I'm sure that's true. Other proposed 5.1 albums have also been shelved for similar reasons.

>>I spoke to Rory Kaplan, the remix engineer about this. He said they were unable to locate the original multitrack tapes for this song, and with Sting's blessing, used his original demo instead. <<

Back