Beck's Sea Change in Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, Beck's "Sea Change" Multichannel SACD on Geffen is starting to show up in stores a couple of days ahead of its 12/24 release date. It's also available on the web from Elusive Disc over at www.elusivedisc.com/prodi...&mitem=381

Elliot Scheiner performed the 5.1 mix for this SACD. Scheiner played the 1st track from the Beck album in Multichannel SACD at the recent Surround 2002 conference.

It features a sound that is panned around the room as you hear Beck's vocals and a guitar.

It was very impressive. If the rest of the album is that good, it will be a winner on SACD.

By the way, both Scheiner and the Universal Music folks are quite proud of the result. That probably explains why it was released ahead of the next group of Universal SACDs coming out on 1/14.

This is one excellent disc...

A very nice but ungimmicky surround mix and makes this moody album even darker and engrossing. Nice bass (this seems to a problem for me and SACD... many SACD surround mixes lack solid bass). My favorite album of the year just got better!!

Being only familiar with this artist's album radio hit "Loser", but having read great things about his music I was sort of taking a chance here. I love the sound of this disc! It's a wonderful sonic experience and I recommend it highly to all owners of M.C. SACD players. If I were to describe the type of music it's in the "Adult Album Alternative" vein (Sting, Bowie, B.Ferry) with lots of texture. I only wish it was a hybrid disc so I could play it in the car.

Sea Change is incredible in surround. No one who has ever heard it on good equipment could possibly ever want to listen to it in stereo again.

4ears

I agree 4ears. Anyone who doesn't like this mix in m/c just doesn't like music, imo

Yea this is a great 5.1 mix
The mellow mix fits the album perfectly
:)
Not a Demo Disc but a great mix to hear many times.
I think some great demos don't stand up over time. They spell it all out on the first listening. You will find something new in further listening with this one

Having just received the Pioneer DVD-A/SACD hybrid player DV-45A late this week, I was finally able to audition this Beck disc. It really is spectacular and I don't regret getting the hybrid player since it allows me greater choice in the artist I can choose from.

Just to join the peanut gallery...

Beck's "Sea Change" is not only an exquisite musical journey from start to finish, the M/C SACD is fantastic. The music and mix blend perfectly, offering an experience that allows the equipment (and the fact that you are listening to M/C) to fade completely away, leaving you with nothing but a pure, uncut audio experience.

Well, in the continuing mystery of Best Buy pricing, I found an SACD copy of Beck's Sea Change Multichannel SACD for only $9.99 at the local Best Buy. So I grabbed it.

This disc is wonderful both musically and sonically. Very emmersive. I also have a 45a and it is breaking in nicely. After 3 months now it has a really nice sound to it. At the beginning I wasn't sure about the SACD output from it. It didn't seem to be very good. In the last few weeks it has really opened up. Maybe I am just getting used to SACD (as oppose to DVD Audio which has always sounded great to me) but I don't think so. The electronics seem to have "mellowed".

Most of the SACD players will improve as they get more play time. That's been my experience here.

As for the Beck Multichannel SACD, yes it's a good one. And I know the Universal Music folks are proud of it. They even released it right before Christmas to get it out early, despite the slow disc sales that time of year.

I just bought it......can't wait till Saturday when the wife goes to ride her friggin horse and leaves me alone in 5.1 heaven.....I'll let you know what I think.

Enjoy. Give it a chance. It has very aggressive surround usage a la Elliot Scheiner. It is a modern masterpiece, speaking of which I just picked up the Surround version of Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet and it is a huge leap above the CD version that I have. I think they made it multi-channel to get a natural subwoofer output as there is not much surround activity. However, it is incredible for something from the '50's. Sea Change is still my favourite SACD (not DSOTM) but this Brubeck disc is highly recommended as well.

My last listen to Beck was Odelay.....and I used to put him in the same category as the Barenaked Ladies.....goofy novelty music that you regret buying after a week......but Sea Changes?.......@$^&%$@ AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how good it is! Sonics aside (which are superb!)....some of the greatest songwriting and arrangements I have heard in years. Some of the strings remind me of the stuff Paul Buckmaster used to do for Elton John (Madman.....Don't Shoot Me....). Probably my second fave hi rez disc so far (ELP Brain Salad Surgery is #1....but it's only my first week......and I only have 5 discs).
Guy, thanks again...first the dv45a...now this!:p

Dave, No Problem.
That's what we are here for. To help each other find the good stuff. I am starting to become all misty eyed.:p
If you like jazz pick up the Dave Brubeck. Trust me again.

Back