Quad LP/Tape Poll Souther, Hillman, Furay Band: The Souther, Hillman, Furay Band [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Souther, Hillman, Furay Band"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
First of two S/H/F albums, 1974, released as Asylum EQ-1006.

Side 1:

1. Fallin' In Love
2. Heavenly Fire
3. The Heartbreaker
4. Believe Me
5. Border Town

Side 2:

1. Safe At Home
2. Pretty Goodbyes
3. Rise And Fall
4. The Flight Of The Dove
5. Deep, Dark And Dreamless

ED :)

Quite obscure group, at least for the italians - don't think it had been released here at all.
Said that, i got this q8 a couple of years ago and was very positively impressed by the album; the biggest limit is that it does sounds a bit as a Eagles copy - very well done. Also the Byrds heritage is present, but much less than the Eagles mark.
"Safe at home" was the obvious single, and there are at least a couple more on the tracklist (falling in love & border town).
Very active mix, vocals spreaded in all channels... a very enjoyable release. Have no idea how is the second album, for sure if i can find it out the Q8 for a decent price will like to get it.

A good 8

Well, given the roots of the three men, it's understandable they would be compared a little to the Eagles, since the latter borrowed more than a little from Poco, Buffalo Springfield, a little Byrds. That said, my only knock on this one--the mix is fine, if not overly adventurous--is that the songs lack distinction, which is also true of Poco during this period(they perked up a mite when they moved to ABC). Pleasant stuff, but really doesn't stick, something you can't say about the Eagles, for good and ill. A '7' for me.

ED :)

I like this record, Furay played with Poco and Souther wrote song for the Eagles so that explains their similarity. As for the mix I find this title poor in bass dynamics with a good high frequency response. I think I'll try to do a conversion of it and re-equalize it a bit in the mid-bass frequency to give it more punch.
Generally speaking it's a 7.

Thought this album was stronger than the follow-up. Bought it mostly because Chris was in the band. I would completely agree with Ed on this one. It's pleasant, but not quite up to snuff had the tunes been a bit stronger. I always wonder how much trouble, if any, they had with Jim Gordon. Very troubled guy mentally.

Back