HiRez Poll Metheny, Pat - IMAGINARY DAY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Pat Metheny - IMAGINARY DAY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Metheny Front.jpgMetheny Back.jpg

Last edited:
I was greatly impressed first time I listen this disk (it was in dolby digital). Before I dont know Metheney at all. After I begin listen other his works and glad for it. Mch is good too.

Perfect artist for the format. Crisp, precise playing, and the hi-res lets the incredible dynamic range shine. I though the CD was a fine piece of engineering, but it sounds smushed compared to this. A must-buy for jazz and progressive listeners.

I give this one a perfect 10 -- awesome music, sound quality and mix! I had the CD before and loved it, but the multi-channel mix makes this one really shine. I play it over and over again. I can't believe there aren't more voters on this one. Are there no jazz lovers among us? We need three more votes to put this one on the HiRez Poll. C'mon guys! Try this disc! (y)

I gave this a "10" also. It was not among my favorite PMG albums until I heard it in surround, and having read the extensive notes on the DVD-A, I better understood where Pat and Lyle were coming from when they composed these tracks. (For reference, my favorite PMG albums thus far have been The First Circle, Speaking Of Now, Letter From Home and a few others.)

Nice dymanics throughout (especially "The Roots of Coincidence", which also has an added introduction to the track that the CD doesn't have), and nice surround placement of the instruments. When I get a proper sub hooked up, it will sound a bit better as well.

Guy Robinson said:
Lot's of wall rattling bass.

I'm a self-proclaimed "bass 'ho'", so I know I'll like it. :D I temporarily hooked up a sub on my new "den" system and while it didn't go as deep as I wanted it to (it was built/optimized for use in the car), it did rattle the hinges on the closet doors. :D

Gave this a 9. Music varies from New Age-y, similar in style to Andreas Vollenveider, to jazz & on one song, Porcupine Tree-like electronics.

I liked it!

This is one amazing DVD-A. It really utlises the surround space well.

Sonics are jaw-dropping and my sub enjoyed the disc very much too :D

Great music too! jazz fusion, nearly all types, I always love. They suit surround so much too.

10/10.

This is a great disc to put on when folks are over. It's great "conversation" music, and it has attention grabbing moments with regards to surround. It's surely never going to annoy anyone. I like this one a lot.

SIDE NOTE: I saw a DVD-Video of this one once in a Best Buy. Anyone check that out?

... I like this one a lot.

SIDE NOTE: I saw a DVD-Video of this one once in a Best Buy. Anyone check that out?...

I have 3 of the Metheny videos - all via Eagle Rock - Imaginary Day Live, Speaking of Now Live and The Way Up Live. All feature excellent DTS mixes - not exactly discrete but excellent live sound - they will all give your system a healthy workout. The Way Up is also available on HD DVD and Blu Ray (I think). I would recommend all 3 titles to anyone interested in progressive Jazz with elements of world music and rock. All the musicians are world class. I saw the Way Up Live show in 2007 and it has to be one of my personal top 5 concerts ever.

Well I brought this after reading the reviews here. Surprisingly picked it up new on Amazon this year.

The mix makes full use of all the speakers. The woofer get a workout and the dynamic range is something else.

The music could be described as new age! but its much better than most. I definitly put this in the demo disc category.

Last edited:
...The music could be described as new age! but its much better than most. I definitly put tis in the demo disc category.

I know its just semantics, but to describe this as new age is a disservice to those who think of new age as something heard in the background at a crystal shop. More world/jazz fusion with some mellow spots and some serious rocking spots as well! If you're a true QQ follower and don't have this title - get it! (as long as it is still available)

A definitive 10 for me.

I have been a Pat Metheny since the early 80's ("As Falls Wichita..." would make a spectacular Surround disc...).

Got this from jpc.de in 2009 for 20 Euros (along with both Al DiMeola's SACDs-which were 12 Euros each!).

I have listened to this a bit (4-6 times) and have always enjoyed it immensely in spite of being a bit too long for my taste.

Was listening to it last night and , first of all, it sounds like it was not originally recorded in 96, but in 48..some of my cillia were not tingling as usual..still, it sounds incredible ...

Also realized that the first song is basically an Andreas Vollenweider takeoff (made me go..."heeeyyyy!!!")...maybe that's why some "dare" call it "New Age"...

They also channel some Crimson in track 7 "The roots of coincidence"...

overall a top notch surround feast...too bad Pat hasn't jumped into the Surround bandwagon...."First Circle" and "Travels"(to mention a few) would also make excellent Surround discs...

:smokin

A definitive 10 for me.

I have been a Pat Metheny since the early 80's ("As Falls Wichita..." would make a spectacular Surround disc...).

Got this from jpc.de in 2009 for 20 Euros (along with both Al DiMeola's SACDs-which were 12 Euros each!).

I have listened to this a bit (4-6 times) and have always enjoyed it immensely in spite of being a bit too long for my taste.

Was listening to it last night and , first of all, it sounds like it was not originally recorded in 96, but in 48..some of my cillia were not tingling as usual..still, it sounds incredible ...

Also realized that the first song is basically an Andreas Vollenweider takeoff (made me go..."heeeyyyy!!!")...maybe that's why some "dare" call it "New Age"...

They also channel some Crimson in track 7 "The roots of coincidence"...

overall a top notch surround feast...too bad Pat hasn't jumped into the Surround bandwagon...."First Circle" and "Travels"(to mention a few) would also make excellent Surround discs...

:smokin

there's the Metheny, Corea, Burton album on M/C SACD that I've had my eye on for a while.. I think it's the only other studio Metheny in surround!?

Good sounding jazzy stuff with "esoteric" touch. Excellent surround mix.

... and having read the extensive notes on the DVD-A, I better understood where Pat and Lyle were coming from when they composed these tracks.

Where are these notes? On my disc there are only a lot of hieroglyphs, that I can't decipher. Perhaps I should have payed more attention in school...

Back