"Best of Doors" 4.0 Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color me excited. Unlike some "Best of..." collections, this one actually lives up to the title. I especially like the quad mix of "Riders on the Storm" and look forward to having a copy of the album. It's just a shame it's such a limited edition.

Snood ordered :banana:

Keep them coming AF :snoodhug:

Although wondering what the other one might be since they releasing them in 2s ;)

Time-Life Legends comes to mind, not that I want to go off-topic and talk about that at all.

One possible error would be using the sped-up 2 channel version of Light My Fire. Not that anyone is gonna be playing this in stereo anyway.

I meant multichannel SACDs specifically. AFAIK, they have all been stellar so far with minimal complaints, and I don't think this one should be any different. :)

Easy choice...the quad mixes beat Perception "hands down".

In general, how would you folks describe the 4.0 mixes being superior to those in the 5.1 Perception set? I know that the first two albums in Perception are basically stereo with ambience in the rears, but I vaguely recall the quad mixes of Light My Fire and others as being similar. Perhaps my memory from 40 years ago isn't so great.

Guys, since you all figured this out on your own :), I will confirm to you all that yes, this is the original quad mix from 1973 and yes, you better get your pre-orders in because this is one of the best 4.0 SACDs you will ever own.

A sell-out for sure. I suggested they make a lot of extras.

Debbie Downer here - $35.00? :(
Would like to own this but I am not really a big Doors fan
I understand it is niche release but can't they keep the price point around $25?

Debbie Downer here - $35.00? :(
Would like to own this but I am not really a big Doors fan
I understand it is niche release but can't they keep the price point around $25?

Like you said....you aren't a big Doors fan...plenty of other music you can buy...it appears the more music we get the demands increase at a higher rate..some want videos included... and make it cheaper too....that included..yada yada yada...it seems like it never ends..we are lucky to be getting these titles...you just can't please everybody..

In general, how would you folks describe the 4.0 mixes being superior to those in the 5.1 Perception set? I know that the first two albums in Perception are basically stereo with ambience in the rears, but I vaguely recall the quad mixes of Light My Fire and others as being similar. Perhaps my memory from 40 years ago isn't so great.

Here are the waveforms of a Q4->DVDA conversion of The Best Of The Doors:

BOD.jpg

Like you said....you aren't a big Doors fan...plenty of other music you can buy...it appears the more music we get the demands increase at a higher rate..some want videos included... and make it cheaper too....that included..yada yada yada...it seems like it never ends..we are lucky to be getting these titles...you just can't please everybody..

Hehe - while I agree the price is a smidgen high.....um.....no chance in 1000 years I'm going to squabble over whether it's $27.99, $29.99 or $33.99. It WILL be mine...oh yes, it will be mine. Spoken like a true Doors Fan. I even contemplated killing one of my other pre-orders...so I could get another copy of the Doors.....that's how much I love it.

Guys, since you all figured this out on your own :), I will confirm to you all that yes, this is the original quad mix from 1973 and yes, you better get your pre-orders in because this is one of the best 4.0 SACDs you will ever own.

A sell-out for sure. I suggested they make a lot of extras.

Good man Jon....we all know a HIT when we see it! Bring them on man...bring them on.

Hehe - while I agree the price is a smidgen high.....um.....no chance in 1000 years I'm going to squabble over whether it's $27.99, $29.99 or $33.99. It WILL be mine...oh yes, it will be mine. Spoken like a true Doors Fan. I even contemplated killing one of my other pre-orders...so I could get another copy of the Doors.....that's how much I love it.

You have to realize that it's not being released until June...I doubt that price at amazon will be the final price..it will be lower...the other outlets haven't even listed it yet...importcds and the other "usual suspects" will have this title...I imagine acoustic sounds will continue their usual pricing structure..around $30...but having said all that..when I bought those Doors SACD's 2 years ago they were $30 then(I got them with 10% off)and look at the price now..so it's not out of line for this to be priced where it is now...and another thing..don't worry about not getting the disc...it will be available unless you wait a while for it...which in your case I know you won't..

Hey everyone. First off, this is a great 4.0 mix, classic quad, the real thing. Remember, this record came out in 1973 and was sold ONLY in quad. It was to be the showpiece of WEA at the time, and the flagship of their CD-4 Quadradisc marketing. In fact, it was sold well into the '80s still as a Quadradisc, long after CD-4 was a memory. (You can see the 5 label variations on the QQ WEA web page)

This will not only be a first time digital quad release for these mixes (even though they came out in new 5.1 mixes in the Perception box), it will also be the first time they've been officially released and cleaned up for a stereo release (for you purists). However, in this rare case, the quad mix was the norm.

The Quad reel usually sells in the $100's of dollars on eBay these days, so this is your chance to hear the quad mix better than it's ever been available ever, and you can be sure it will be available at the usual places for far less that $35. Still, as I said, I would order this one early so as not to be disappointed and having to wait for another pressing or worse yet, getting one on eBay. One thing you won't be disappointed in is the mix, the sound, and the presentation.

AF is really bringing the heat! :bounce17

PS - As soon as Brian or I get the official release materials, we'll post them in a dedicated thread.

The 4.0 mixes are more discrete, more pinpoint direction of audio components. For example, on Riders, Jim Morrison's whispering is totally isolated in the rears, as are some solo's, drums, etc. The newer mixes in Perception and on the L.A. Women DVD-A are more of the modern type of mix, with stuff blended between the channels. If you've heard the quad, you'll know. If you haven't, then this disc will be a great compliment to the Perception set. I can safely tell you that you won't be buying the same thing over again if you own Perception.

The 4.0 mixes are more discrete, more pinpoint direction of audio components. For example, on Riders, Jim Morrison's whispering is totally isolated in the rears, as are some solo's, drums, etc. The newer mixes in Perception and on the L.A. Women DVD-A are more of the modern type of mix, with stuff blended between the channels. If you've heard the quad, you'll know. If you haven't, then this disc will be a great compliment to the Perception set. I can safely tell you that you won't be buying the same thing over again if you own Perception.
Not only do you qet new(old really) surround mixes of DOORS classics, but 4 tracks from the first album not in 5.1(on Perception).The 3 from the first album and 1 from ABSOLUTEY LIVE.Oh and btw I like the perception discs (minus the first-not in surround).For any DOORS fan and surround fan, this sacd is a must own!

With the talk about this release on June 2nd it reminds me that very soon(May 20, 2013) it will be 2 years since we lost Ray Manzarek...who carried the torch for The Doors after the death of Jim Morrison...he kept attention on the group and kept the band relevant long after they stopped playing...I said at the time of Ray's death that The Doors would eventually fade from public awareness..because the remaining 2 members really haven't supported the legacy of the band..I hope this release brings back some attention to the band once again...

Not only do you qet new(old really) surround mixes of DOORS classics, but 4 tracks from the first album not in 5.1(on Perception).The 3 from the first album and 1 from ABSOLUTEY LIVE.Oh and btw I like the perception discs (minus the first-not in surround).For any DOORS fan and surround fan, this sacd is a must own!

Yeah the first Doors album is more like 3.0 mix L, C, R is about it. I haven't listened to it in forever and just popped it in today. The quad mixes blow it away.

Hey everyone. First off, this is a great 4.0 mix, classic quad, the real thing. Remember, this record came out in 1973 and was sold ONLY in quad. It was to be the showpiece of WEA at the time, and the flagship of their CD-4 Quadradisc marketing. In fact, it was sold well into the '80s still as a Quadradisc, long after CD-4 was a memory. (You can see the 5 label variations on the QQ WEA web page)

This will not only be a first time digital quad release for these mixes (even though they came out in new 5.1 mixes in the Perception box), it will also be the first time they've been officially released and cleaned up for a stereo release (for you purists). However, in this rare case, the quad mix was the norm.

The Quad reel usually sells in the $100's of dollars on eBay these days, so this is your chance to hear the quad mix better than it's ever been available ever, and you can be sure it will be available at the usual places for far less that $35. Still, as I said, I would order this one early so as not to be disappointed and having to wait for another pressing or worse yet, getting one on eBay. One thing you won't be disappointed in is the mix, the sound, and the presentation.

AF is really bringing the heat! :bounce17

PS - As soon as Brian or I get the official release materials, we'll post them in a dedicated thread.

As with the earlier Audio Fidelity 4.0 Quad transfers from Analog Master Tape, I'm pretty sure this edition will top the Quad Reel Tape. Another excellent transfer to Multichannel DSD by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center.

Back