Tears for Fears - "The Seeds of Love" (Steven Wilson 5.1 Remix out on October 9th!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed feelings: I was disappointed with his 5.1 of Songs From the Big Chair (a boring, safe mix, I thought) and surprised to find it wasn't the highlight of the five disc set for me.

Fantastic!! Glad I held off on buying the MFSL LP reissue ;)

Well, I wouldn't mind an MFSL LP reissue (except that they usually do not include the sleeve artwork/lyrics IIRC)..

I have a Fontana original DMM pressing which is VG++; bought it a few years ago...

As it is, it decodes WONDERFULLY thru DPL II (the "Super Bascombe Vision" must have some SERIOUS phasing futzing around)

Also, as with most of the early digital recordings on LP, like this one (on a Mitsubishi 48 track), the freq spectrum goes WAYY above 22K...(the miracle of vinyl and a decent Ortofon stylus)

Indeed! And it also occurs to me that Steven referred to the Tears For Fears catalog. Perhaps The Hurting, Elemental and the others are on the agenda? Hope springs eternal!

:sun

Hey, I say that! :music
There's a few issues going forward with more Tears for Fears remixes after "The Seeds of Love".
"The Hurting" has already been reissued as a deluxe box set and Blu-Ray Audio disc. Sure there's no surround in it, but the label might be reluctant to reissue it again.
"Elemental" could be a possibility, but since it was basically a Roland Orzabal solo album that didn't sell as well as the previous three albums, there might not be as much of a strong sales potential for that title to get a reissue.
I also doubt we will see reissues with surround of the other two albums as they were on different labels than the first four, and that could complicate things.

"The Seeds of Love" was obviously a slam-dunk to remix and reissue, but anything else before or after that seems very iffy IMO.

The Best of Bob Marley was reissued with a surround mix very quickly after the stereo only bd-a. Hopefully the same will be done with The Hurting.

True. I had thought of that, but the reason "Legend" was reissued with a surround mix so quickly after the original stereo Blu-Ray release was because the stereo Blu-Ray happened to come out the year before its 30th anniversary, so when the actual anniversary came around, they had a reason to reissue it as such.
The current "Hurting" reissues were released in conjunction with its 30th anniversary back in 2013, so would they wait for another anniversary to put out yet another reissue? If so, we could be waiting up to 3 years for it.
Now many might lament the fact that SW didn't start remixing the Tears for Fears albums with "The Hurting", but it did make sense to start with "Songs from the Big Chair" since it was the BIG album for them. (It even has big in the title…) This follows the same pattern as the King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and Yes remixes that all started with the biggest-selling titles. Albums like "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Red", "Aqualung", and "Close to the Edge" were gateways for other albums from the same catalogues to also get remixed.

I'm just not that confident at this point in time that we will definitely get more TFF surround remixes after "The Seeds of Love". I am fairly confident however that besides the remaining King Crimson reissues that have yet to be released, there will be more Yes and Roxy Music reissues and maybe even some more from XTC if tapes suddenly start reappearing. I bet there will also be more Jethro Tull reissues, but those will probably fall on anniversary years from now on since they are caught up.

I reckon Legend surround came so soon after Legend stereo because the former was UMe U.S.A. product and the latter Universal France and where that label's concerned the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.. if Universal U.K. green light The Hurting in surround it'll happen (they're the division behind these TFF's reissues after all) but equally (unlikely but still possible) Universal in the States may choose to reissue Hurting in surround.. in short anything is possible with that lot (including licensing their Quad/5.1 to labels like AF etc.. which people have said isn't gonna happen and that they're saving surround for their own releases.. it'll be denied but I strongly suspect Universal would've merrily let AF release Quad SACDs of Joe Cocker and Joe Walsh if there'd been tapes available and that's what those stereo only SACDs were planned to be all along.).

I reckon Legend surround came so soon after Legend stereo because the former was UMe U.S.A. product and the latter Universal France and where that label's concerned the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.. if Universal U.K. green light The Hurting in surround it'll happen (they're the division behind these TFF's reissues after all) but equally (unlikely but still possible) Universal in the States may choose to reissue Hurting in surround.. in short anything is possible with that lot (including licensing their Quad/5.1 to labels like AF etc.. which people have said isn't gonna happen and that they're saving surround for their own releases.. it'll be denied but I strongly suspect Universal would've merrily let AF release Quad SACDs of Joe Cocker and Joe Walsh if there'd been tapes available and that's what those stereo only SACDs were planned to be all along.).

I think they are saving 5.1 surround mixes for HFPA Blu-Ray releases. Quad is a different matter though. I don't think there is as much interest on UMe's part to reissue those themselves, so AF could step in and do the job, just like they might have for Joe Cocker and Joe Walsh if tapes were available.

Frankly, any other Tears for Fears albums that get remixed in surround besides "The Seeds of Love" is lagniappe for me. I'm just glad this one is happening. :)

Mixed feelings: I was disappointed with his 5.1 of Songs From the Big Chair (a boring, safe mix, I thought) and surprised to find it wasn't the highlight of the five disc set for me.

As far as the album's opening track, "Shout", is concerned, I'd have to agree. I felt a lot more could have been done with that. But after that, the mix really seemed to open up. I thought "The Working Hour" had an especially wonderful mix. Funny enough, I felt the same thing happened with XTC's Nonsuch. I thought the mix of the album's first track ("The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead") was too conservative, but after that, the rest of the tracks were very immersive. Maybe Steven was going for some sort of audio version of a Wizard of Oz effect. Open up in black and white, then expand out to full color. (OK, it's a far fetched idea, but I am known for those, LOL.)

"Elemental" could be a possibility, but since it was basically a Roland Orzabal solo album that didn't sell as well as the previous three albums, there might not be as much of a strong sales potential for that title to get a reissue.
I also doubt we will see reissues with surround of the other two albums as they were on different labels than the first four, and that could complicate things.

"The Seeds of Love" was obviously a slam-dunk to remix and reissue, but anything else before or after that seems very iffy IMO.

These are all valid points, however we've certainly seen major labels release albums that were less popular in surround. Of all of them, I would think Elemental could be a strong contender. It was still a top 5 album in the UK and some other European countries. It also was certified gold in the U.S. So while not a smash, it was still popular.

I'm a huge TFF fan so I know I'm biased, but I really think theirs is a very strong body of work. Not a weak album in the lot. And they're all excellent candidates for surround.

Personally, I just cannot get into TFF.....I really don't understand them....nor the music. I try...I try. If someone would just give me some CCR in Quad....I'd be over the moon.

These are all valid points, however we've certainly seen major labels release albums that were less popular in surround. Of all of them, I would think Elemental could be a strong contender. It was still a top 5 album in the UK and some other European countries. It also was certified gold in the U.S. So while not a smash, it was still popular.

I'm a huge TFF fan so I know I'm biased, but I really think theirs is a very strong body of work. Not a weak album in the lot. And they're all excellent candidates for surround.

I'd certainly welcome surround remixes of both "Elemental" and "The Hurting", and while I have heard many songs off of the latter, I have yet to listen to any of the former, so maybe it's about time I did. I just don't want people to necessarily expect that "The Hurting" and "Elemental" will be remixed and then are disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Personally, I just cannot get into TFF.....I really don't understand them....nor the music. I try...I try. If someone would just give me some CCR in Quad....I'd be over the moon.
I bought an sacd of "Cosmo's Factory" because it had a sticker on the front that said "multichannel hybrid", but alas there was only stereo. I too would love 4 channels of discrete CCR!

With regards to Tears for Fears... Easier to understand than Gentle Giant!

One thing that bodes well for "Elemental" getting a surround remix is the fact that Roland is the band's main supervisor on these remixes. I don't know how involved Curt is, but if Roland really wants "Elemental" in surround, maybe it will happen.

Over on superdeluxeedtion.com Paul Sinclair mentioned that the Seeds of Love reissue will not happen this year. :( He didn't mention anything else about it but said a new TFF album will be out in 2016. Incidentally, I just saw the band last week; they were in top form.

Over on superdeluxeedtion.com Paul Sinclair mentioned that the Seeds of Love reissue will not happen this year. :( He didn't mention anything else about it but said a new TFF album will be out in 2016. Incidentally, I just saw the band last week; they were in top form.

I had figured that would be the case. It probably wasn't fully prepared and ready to go for this year like they originally thought.
Oh well, I can wait a little longer for this one as I'm sure it will be worth the wait. It's albums like "Roxy Music" and "Tales from Topographic Oceans" where the wait is getting more and more agonizing, but that's what we signed up for, isn't it? ;)

Too bad we can't get Elliot Scheiner doing the same thing....as we were originally promised with the so-called hook-up with him and AF. Which we're now told it was only for the Winelight and the New York Voices SACDs!

Look at it this way. The happier he is, the more likely he'll continue doing these surround mixes of other peoples music. We KNOW he doesn't do it for the money, as he's stated he hardly makes a thing, he does it for the love of the music. So, if recording and touring make him happy, and he continues writing new quality stuff like H.C.E., then he'll remain happy and willing to do more remixes of classic stuff when he has time.

A Happy Steven is good for surround music fans. Remember that!

One thing that bodes well for "Elemental" getting a surround remix is the fact that Roland is the band's main supervisor on these remixes. I don't know how involved Curt is, but if Roland really wants "Elemental" in surround, maybe it will happen.

As good as The Hurting is, I'm a much bigger fan of Elemental. I'd love a 5.1 extended album covering not only the b-sides (Bloodletting Go and Schrödinger's Cat) which are as good as the album tracks, but also including Laid So Low, which was the new track recorded for the Tears Roll Down compilation. Alan Griffiths was Roland's wingman after Curt left and they made a really strong team.

As for The Seeds Of Love, it will be quite a task to remix as Roland's digital mixes were culled for the many different performances of each song. A few bars for this and a few measures from that. If you listen to the Bob Clearmountain single mixes compared to the album mixes, you can tell that the possibilities are endless when it comes to a 5.1 mix. I'll be putting in my pre-order as soon as it's announced.

A Quick Update I found on SuperDeluxeEdition.
As some of you know, Paul Sinclair was very involved in helping to put together the box set for "Songs from the Big Chair", and he's been doing the same for "The Seeds of Love".
When asked recently when the reissue would be released, he said this (August 1):
Last I heard, it was supposed to be coming out later this year. They’re taking so long with their new album it’s now coming out BEFORE.

So there you have it, folks. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that "The Seeds of Love" is released this fall in surround sound, cause if it is, I guarantee you it will be the best surround mix released this year! (Unless of course "Roxy Music" finally comes out too…) :)

A Quick Update I found on SuperDeluxeEdition.
As some of you know, Paul Sinclair was very involved in helping to put together the box set for "Songs from the Big Chair", and he's been doing the same for "The Seeds of Love".
When asked recently when the reissue would be released, he said this (August 1):

So there you have it, folks. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that "The Seeds of Love" is released this fall in surround sound, cause if it is, I guarantee you it will be the best surround mix released this year! (Unless of course "Roxy Music" finally comes out too…) :)

Ryan, good find and this is good news in deed.
Usually I wouldn't be thankful for the snail's pace of putting out new albums but this is one time that it's working to our advantage to get a older release in 5.1 bumped up in the release schedule.
I am also looking forward to this one.

Back