DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Sony is set to release a "premium" Blu-ray player, the UHP-H1, that not only feature SACD playback, but also DVD-Audio. Check out that logo on the left....

0c5045e496cc1eb263b6792fcac57de8

Wow!! Now there is a complete 180. Actually, I think this is great news if it materializes....
That is...if they sell it for less than an Oppo. Which if they don't...then...who cares?

Yeah, the mock-up of the back clearly show DVD-A/V. But if you click on specifications, they don't list that feature. So, seems to me it's a tossup what we'll end up with.

Yeah, the mock-up of the back clearly show DVD-A/V. But if you click on specifications, they don't list that feature. So, seems to me it's a tossup what we'll end up with.

And with NO detachable power cord, a deal breaker for me.

And isn't it kind of late in the game for SONY to be releasing a BD Universal player with the newer TRUE 4K models around the horizon....like, March 2016!

Great that is has analog stereo outputs.

Bummer that it has not analog outputs for mch. What DAC would be adequate for getting them?

And with NO detachable power cord, a deal breaker for me.

And isn't it kind of late in the game for SONY to be releasing a BD Universal player with the newer TRUE 4K models around the horizon....like, March 2016!

Because Sony has opted to NOT release a 4k blu ray player..so this is their response...for me there is no way I would trade a Sony for an Oppo...regardless of features...the build quality of Oppo is much better than a Sony...of course I'm biased against Sony...can't stand the company...the customer service at Oppo is light years better than Sony.

Because Sony has opted to NOT release a 4k blu ray player..so this is their response...for me there is no way I would trade a Sony for an Oppo...regardless of features...the build quality of Oppo is much better than a Sony...of course I'm biased against Sony...can't stand the company...the customer service at Oppo is light years better than Sony.

I guess I didn't realize Sony had customer service...

:couch

This is wonderful. I hope that DVD-Audio logo isn't a mistake. More competition in universal transports may drive down prices. A $299 list price Sony will be $149 in a year. I have been please with my four year old BDP-S380 Blu-ray/SACD transport but I would like to open up a HDMI input on my receiver for another streaming device by putting my Pioneer DV48-av DVD-Audio player out to pasture.

I know that an auxiliary HDMI switcher and smart remote could fix this but that would confuse the family that uses the system to "watch TV."

Cheers, Michael

No 4K video native decoding? Is this a joke???

This would be a very interesting product if released 2 or 3 years ago.

One will still need to buy a 4K UltraHD BluRay player in a few months, so why pay for two and have two BluRay players connected to one's hi fi system??? :confused:

It's a great joke for the folks who want to wait for UHD to take hold says the guy who is disappointed that expanded color range was included in HDMI 1.3 but never exploited.

Sorry for the cross post, but does this mean that Panasonic MAY introduce a Blu-ray spinner with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility?

You got that right, Clint. We used to have battles royale over at the old SA~CD.net about the Sony ES5400 SACD player versus the current Oppos and since I have both, and MUCH preferred the OPPO BDP~105 to the supposed "flagship" Sony 5400, the war or words would fly...and this, despite the fact that everyone over there complained about SONY's horrible:yikes customer service versus OPPO's supremely delightful:sun customer service department.

Although I'm not 4K ready, I still look forward to OPPO's 4K hardware and wouldn't even consider adding any SONY products to my arsenal at this late stage of the game!

That is one sorry-looking "premium" player! We older gents remember when the Sony ES series released some awesome gear. Notably that early carousel multichannel SACD player; if I remember correctly, even a couple of the audiophile mags liked its CD playing quality, SACD notwithstanding. I still have it and love it! I used to have it partnered with a Denon carousel for DVD-A, but I have been through four of those now and given up, because apparently they were Denon branded but built by Fisher Price.

Sorry for the cross post, but does this mean that Panasonic MAY introduce a Blu-ray spinner with DVD-Audio and SACD compatibility?

not so far...Panasonic will release a 4k blu ray player..and some audio extras...but..in truly ironic style they are more streaming upgrades than disc based ones for audio...and it appears that units won't be available in the US for quite some time...probably in 2017...check this out..

That is one sorry-looking "premium" player! We older gents remember when the Sony ES series released some awesome gear. Notably that early carousel multichannel SACD player; if I remember correctly, even a couple of the audiophile mags liked its CD playing quality, SACD notwithstanding. I still have it and love it! I used to have it partnered with a Denon carousel for DVD-A, but I have been through four of those now and given up, because apparently they were Denon branded but built by Fisher Price.

I had a Kenwood DVD-A spinner, and still have the Sony ES SACD spinner. Those things were monsters. I haven't used the Sony in years, but it still sits in my rack. Looks damn fine, being the ES model. Back when ES meant something.

As for this player, well like others have said, this would have rocked in 2002. Me, I'll never give up my Oppo, but it makes me lament: If every SACD player played DVD-A, and every DVD-A player played SACD back in 2000, imagine how far surround sound would have come!

Maybe the foolish DualDisc, MVI disc, Super Saturated DVD-V, and other failed attempts to replace DVD-A and SACD would have never appeared, and we'd still have an active, major label output of surround music.

:(

Back