R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
For those of you who never picked up the CD/DVDA-V edition of R.E.M.'s "Out of Time" (or for those of you, like me, who prefer, Blu-Ray to DVDA-V) you're in luck!

amazon.com have just posted preorders for 25th anniversary reissues of R.E.M.'s classic 1991 album "Out of Time".
The one of interest to us is this one, which contains 3 CDs and a Blu-Ray disc: https://www.amazon.com/Out-Time-Blu-ray-25th-Anniversary/dp/B01KXQBQRG/

Plus this was posted on the MusicTAP site:

On November 18, Concord Records will reissue a new remaster of Out Of Time for a 25th Anniversary Edition that will appear in several configurations. There will be a 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition featuring the original album, along with a second CD of 19 bonus tracks (see list below). There is a 3CD/1BD Deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition with an extra added CD that contains the fifteen track Live At Mountain Stage, and a Blu-ray-Audio collection of the original tracks in several variations, as well as Time Piece.

Tracklisting is as follows:

CD1 – Out Of Time (2CD, 3CD/BD):
01 Radio Song
02 Losing My Religion
03 Low
04 Near Wild Heaven
05 Endgame
06 Shiny Happy People
07 Belong
08 Half A World Away
09 Texarkana
10 Country Feedback
11 Me In Honey

CD2 (Bonus Tracks):
01 Losing My Religion 1
02 Near Wild Heaven 1
03 Shiny Happy People 1
04 Texarkana 1
05 Untitled Demo 2
06 Radio – Acoustic (Radio Song 1)
07 Near Wild Heaven 2
08 Shiny Happy People 2
09 Slow Sad Rocker (Endgame)
10 Radio – Band (Radio Song 3)
11 Losing My Religion 2
12 Belong
13 Blackbirds (Half A World Away)
14 Texarkana
15 Country Feedback
16 Me On Keyboard (Me In Honey)
17 Low
18 40 Sec. (40 Second Song)
19 Fretless 1

CD3 – Live At Mountain Stage
1 Introduction
2 World Leader Pretend
3 Radio Song
4 Fall On Me
5 It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
6 Half A World Away
7 Belong
8 Love Is All Around
9 Losing My Religion
10 Dallas (w/Billy Bragg, Robyn Hitchcock, Clive Gregson, Christine Collister)
11 Radio Song
12 Disturbance At The Heron House
13 Low
14 Swan Swan H
15 Pop Song 89

BD1 – Out Of Time (Hi-res, etc)
01 Radio Song
02 Losing My Religion
03 Low
04 Near Wild Heaven
05 Endgame
06 Shiny Happy People
07 Belong
08 Half A World Away
09 Texarkana
10 Country Feedback
11 Me In Honey
12 Radio Song
13 Losing My Religion
14 Low
15 Near Wild Heaven
16 Endgame
17 Shiny Happy People
18 Belong
19 Half A World Away
20 Texarkana
21 Country Feedback
22 Me In Honey
23 Radio Song
24 Losing My Religion
25 Low
26 Near Wild Heaven
27 Shiny Happy People
28 Belong
29 Half A World Away
30 Country Feedback
31 Time Piece (18:02)

Now the Blu-Ray track listing from MusicTAP is not specific, but here's how it should break down:
Tracks 1-22 should be the original 1991 stereo mix and the 2005 5.1 surround mix in high-resolution.
Tracks 23-30 should be the original music videos for these songs as released on the "This Film is On" DVD.
Finally, "Time Piece" is the same documentary that was included on the 2005 DVD-A/V release.

Looks pretty great, doesn't it?

:)

Hmmm... not the most interesting of REM albums for me. If the price is right, I could see springing for it.
I have Losing My Relgion on the Best of DVD-A, so... eh. Not sure. This album is kind of REM's Roll the Bones to me. Too glossy and poppy.

WOW..!! Not too bothered about this particular title but more so the potential (mustn't get my hopes up, of course, could be indicative of nothing!) with the news Comcord are doing Blu-ray Audio..

If (big if but hope springs eternal, right Ryan? ;) ) IF Concord are getting into the Blu-ray Audio game, BRING ON THE GOOD STUFF BABY..!!

Not only did Concord do some of the most wonderful Surround SACDs "back in the day" but those guys are also sitting on all sorts of amazing catalogues, not least among them, Stax/Fantasy.. with Quads among them, some wonderful mixes and/or pretty cool artists (including Isaac Hayes' Shaft, Tough Guys & Joy albums, Staple Singers/Be What You Are.. fabulous Quads all of them.. and Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...)

Any mention of a stand-alone blu-ray?

If there was, then I would have said something about it, but the formats are as follows:

-Single Remastered CD
-Double CD Edition
-Triple CD/Blu-Ray Edition (link and info on that edition is posted above)
-Single Remastered Vinyl
-Triple Vinyl Set

WOW..!! Not too bothered about this particular title but more so the potential (mustn't get my hopes up, of course, could be indicative of nothing!) with the news Comcord are doing Blu-ray Audio..

If (big if but hope springs eternal, right Ryan? ;) ) IF Concord are getting into the Blu-ray Audio game, BRING ON THE GOOD STUFF BABY..!!

Not only did Concord do some of the most wonderful Surround SACDs "back in the day" but those guys are also sitting on all sorts of amazing catalogues, not least among them, Stax/Fantasy.. with Quads among them, some wonderful mixes and/or pretty cool artists (including Isaac Hayes' Shaft, Tough Guys & Joy albums, Staple Singers/Be What You Are.. fabulous Quads all of them.. and Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...)

Honestly Adam, I think you're getting ahead of yourself on this one, lol
I'm just glad that R.E.M. and Concord are (supposedly) including the 5.1 mix in this 25th anniversary edition.
The 5.1 mixes for both "Document" and "Green" were left off of those 25th anniversary editions when each of those albums were under different labels ("Document was still under EMI in 2012 while "Green" was still under Warner Bros in 2013.)
Let's hope this new trend continues into next year when R.E.M. are most likely going to release a 25th anniversary edition of my favorite album of theirs, "Automatic for the People"! :)

If this pans out then I'm pretty happy with the set. Yeah, just a touch disappointed that there's no material from their secret shows at the Borderline but the handful of performances already released from Mountain Stage are quite good. Hi-res is an unexpected bonus (as is 5.1, even if I have all the Warner DVD-As). This makes me more confident that Automatic may also have some surprises. I kind of feared the bonuses would be mostly previously released b-sides.

Hopefully any (re)mastering is tasteful. I'm not the most discerning listener on the brickwalling front but even I feel the previous 25th anniversary sets sound crushed. I've always felt this album has an airy quality.

I was already an R.E.M. fan before this came out but this album solidified my love for the band. While I understand the criticisms, this album came out as my tastes shifted from rock to folk so it was a very good bridge.

If this is the same Concord Records (Concord Music Group) that did the Monster 5.1 DTS 96/24 DVD's then it a match made in heaven.

EDIT: http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...rd-bicycle-music-licensing-warner-bros-albums

Concord plans to release deluxe reissues of the classic Warner albums (from Green to Up), with bonus material, on its Concord imprint.

R.E.M. has entered into a multi-year, worldwide licensing agreement with Concord Bicycle Music for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee's catalog recorded from 1988 to 2011.

The deal covers the years R.E.M. recorded for Warner Bros. The group's pact with the Burbank-based label expires at the end of the year and the Concord deal begins in early 2016. Among the albums under the new agreement are Green, Out of Time, Automatic For the People, Monster, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and Up.

Here's the "Timepiece" documentary:
[video=youtube;5O7qRC-SAHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O7qRC-SAHU&spfreload=10[/video]

Yep, amazon.com have confirmed it this morning. There will be 5.1 surround audio in this 25th anniversary edition. :)

1991's Out of Time catapulted R.E.M. from an indie favorite to one of the biggest bands in the world, with hit singles 'Losing My Religion' and 'Shiny Happy People.' In a case-bound book, this deluxe, 25th anniversary edition features the remastered album, with a treasure trove of bonus material, including new liner notes, 19 never-before-heard demos, an unreleased 1991 live show, plus eight music videos, a 1991 EPK video, and the album in hi-res and 5.1 Surround Sound formats on a Blu-ray disc.

And the Blu-Ray track listing (yep, I was right about high-res stereo, surround sound, and the music videos all being on there)

Disc: 4
1. Out of Time Hi-Resolution Audio
2. Out of Time 5.1 Surround Sound
3. Radio Song (music video)
4. Losing My Religion (music video)
5. Low (music video)
6. Near Wild Heaven (music video)
7. Shiny Happy People (music video)
8. Belong (music video)
9. Half a World Away (music video)
10. Country Feedback (music video)
11. Time Piece

Honestly Adam, I think you're getting ahead of yourself on this one, lol
I'm just glad that R.E.M. and Concord are (supposedly) including the 5.1 mix in this 25th anniversary edition.
The 5.1 mixes for both "Document" and "Green" were left off of those 25th anniversary editions when each of those albums were under different labels ("Document was still under EMI in 2012 while "Green" was still under Warner Bros in 2013.)
Let's hope this new trend continues into next year when R.E.M. are most likely going to release a 25th anniversary edition of my favorite album of theirs, "Automatic for the People"! :)

Yeah.. dunno why I bother.. don't care much about this one specifically getting reissued in surround btw, the CD+DVD-A was readily available here for a fiver years ago, they could hardly give it away.. don't know why they think its gonna suddenly sell more now but best of British luck to them... and I'm very happy for those here and elsewhere who missed it 1st time round etc. :upthumb )

Awesome news! This 5.1 has been on my shopping list for a while. Not sure yet if I'll go for this set, though, or find the the old DVD-A used. I seem to see the latter available for about 30 USD, so it might be cheaper than the new set...

Excellent news, this really is a good 5.1 mix and I think the album still holds up well today from start to finish. Near Wild Heaven, Belong, Low, Me In Honey, lots of good tracks on here.

Well done whomever made the decision to include the 5.1 now on Blu-ray, will probably get that version even though I have the CD+DVD-A of Green and Out of Time (and DVD-A of Automatic for the People) just because of the additional features.

Does anybody know if the mixes on the Best of DVD-A are the same as this album?

I need to review them first before I give you a definitive answer, but I think the "Losing My Religion" 5.1 mixes are different, with the album 5.1 mix being the superior mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back