Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did say to read everything you want to read first. Also, you can always click on the link for all posts from the last 24 hours and find them again.

My fault. That's what I get for going too fast. Anyway, today this thread is back without any new posts. Keeps coming back to haunt me. Guess I'l have to live with it. I've deleted it about 20 times in the last 2 weeks.

I still need BOC and The Collection. Maybe I can find another AF title or a Jethro Tull SW remix box to get my order up high enough.

What AF surround titles and SW Jethro Tull remixes do you not have yet? (Besides the aforementioned Collection and BOC)
Myself and others may be able to point you in the right direction towards some good purchases.

:)

What AF surround titles and SW Jethro Tull remixes do you not have yet? (Besides the aforementioned Collection and BOC)
Myself and others may be able to point you in the right direction towards some good purchases.

I have none of the Tull's since Minstrel, and prefer pre-Aqualung albums.

I can find AF product, but each online store will be missing one title I need, the other store missing a different one, etc. I'm looking at BOC and Collection, maybe XTC Os & Ls, but bad discs are out there on that title.

I have none of the Tull's since Minstrel, and prefer pre-Aqualung albums.

I can find AF product, but each online store will be missing one title I need, the other store missing a different one, etc. I'm looking at BOC and Collection, maybe XTC Os & Ls, but bad discs are out there on that title.

Well if you have everything up to and including "Minstrel", then as far as Jethro Tull is concerned, you need to get "Stand Up", which comes out on the 18th!
As for "Oranges & Lemons", the discs themselves are not bad. They just were not compatible on particular Playstation players, and Sony was supposed to get around to fixing that, but they never did…

I will be grabbing "Wired" once it is in stock at the regular discount houses. That and a couple or few AF titles will get me a hundred dollar order. And the Os & Ls is IMO XTC's best album. I will get that one for sure. All of these are limited time offers.

JOE COCKER is actually a very good album but, IMO, Mad Dogs & Englishmen would've been a better choice.

Well, Mad Dogs & Englishmen was never a quad release and Joe Cocker was, so the chances of that happening are minuscule. MD&E is also a live album and live material is typically not all that impressive in surround.

Well, Mad Dogs & Englishmen was never a quad release and Joe Cocker was, so the chances of that happening are minuscule. MD&E is also a live album and live material is typically not all that impressive in surround.

I was aware that Mad Dogs was never released in surround but I'm sure Universal will release it down the road as a boxset. I used to have it on Open Reel and agree the sonics were not the best but I'm sure with modern technology it could be cleaned up quite a bit.

I was aware that Mad Dogs was never released in surround but I'm sure Universal will release it down the road as a boxset. I used to have it on Open Reel and agree the sonics were not the best but I'm sure with modern technology it could be cleaned up quite a bit.

Speaking of "not the best sonics," I still have my stereo 8 copy of Mad Dogs & Englishmen. :) In regard to AF, I was actually just making the point that, if I'm not mistaken, all their releases have either been previously released in quad or surround or at least previously mixed in quad, but never released. I don't get the impression that AF will ever be giving a Steven Wilson type approach to any material that was not already mixed to quad/surround.

Speaking of "not the best sonics," I still have my stereo 8 copy of Mad Dogs & Englishmen. :) In regard to AF, I was actually just making the point that, if I'm not mistaken, all their releases have either been previously released in quad or surround or at least previously mixed in quad, but never released. I don't get the impression that AF will ever be giving a Steven Wilson type approach to any material that was not already mixed to quad/surround.

Regarding your last statement, AF, did in fact, have a VERY brief association with Elliot Scheiner but alas, short~lived so doubtful they would EVER engage the services of [a] Steve Wilson to remix anything new from scratch although there was a rumor a few months ago that they were working on an ORIGINAL remix project which unfortunately never panned out.

Regarding your last statement, AF, did in fact, have a VERY brief association with Elliot Scheiner but alas, short~lived so doubtful they would EVER engage the services of [a] Steve Wilson to remix anything new from scratch although there was a rumor a few months ago that they were working on an ORIGINAL remix project which unfortunately never panned out.

Actually Audio Fidelity remains in contact with Elliot Scheiner.
He is not doing Surround mixes these days, so I wouldn't anticipate any releases done by him in the near future.

He is not doing Surround mixes these days, so I wouldn't anticipate any releases done by him in the near future.

So Brian, let's get the ball rolling by coaxing Elliot out of retirement so he can release all his unreleased QUAD/5.1 remixes...

He IS sorely missed.......sniff!

But there still could be other ES mixes that are already finished (both previously released and unreleased) that Audio Fidelity could exploit, that is if they could actually come to a consensus with the labels and artists on figuring out how to get more Multichannel SACD releases out to us…

Actually, "Mad Dogs And Englishmen " was released as a 5.1 DVD w/DTS , DD.
But it was a very tame surround mix, and I sold off my copy a few years ago.

Actually, "Mad Dogs And Englishmen " was released as a 5.1 DVD w/DTS , DD.
But it was a very tame surround mix, and I sold off my copy a few years ago.

That is something I will never understand. You have the medium at your disposal, be it 4.0 Quad or 5.1, and then you mix it like a stereo track with nothing but ambience in the rear? To me, that's an absolute waste of time, skill, money, the format and only helps to dissuade people from seeking out more Surround Sound. First Impressions and all, right?

So we can safely say there are now THREE lack-luster Joe Cocker Surround Mixes our there (the 5.1 DVD and the two Q8's).
What's the point? Explore the sound space. Embrace the separation!

Give me the multitracks and I'll show you a good time. I love Joe Cocker's Music and most of it was lushly instrumented and would only benefit from a surrounding mix.

That is something I will never understand. You have the medium at your disposal, be it 4.0 Quad or 5.1, and then you mix it like a stereo track with nothing but ambience in the rear? To me, that's an absolute waste of time, skill, money, the format and only helps to dissuade people from seeking out more Surround Sound. First Impressions and all, right?

So we can safely say there are now THREE lack-luster Joe Cocker Surround Mixes our there (the 5.1 DVD and the two Q8's).
What's the point? Explore the sound space. Embrace the separation!

Give me the multitracks and I'll show you a good time. I love Joe Cocker's Music and most of it was lushly instrumented and would only benefit from a surrounding mix.

While I wholeheartedly agree that when remixing for 5.1 ALL channels should be discretely utilized, when it comes to concert videos, very few engineers GET it.

As for Cocker......my favorite discrete 5.1 remix is DTS Entertainment's Night Calls [Capitol Records] which, although ONLY DTS, sounds remarkable on my system. https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Cocker-Night-Calls/release/2098265

Back