Audio Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if these two are surround I'll buy them for sure as I don't know either album in Quad at all and I always enjoy discovering new surround music (even if the mixes aren't the best, it's always "interesting" to me) but if Stereo only I think I will be much less inclined to pick them up.. I'm adopting a wait and see approach with AF now, whereas for a spell everything was an instant pre-order as it was all in surround.. but the honeymoon period is over.. ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Let's see what these end up being:

"Shinin' On" by Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker

Both were released as Quadraphonic 8-tracks back in the 70s, but after what happened with "Musicmagic" and "Tale Spinnin", something tells me these will just end up being stereo-only too...

I can't imagine these being in Quad for two reasons:

#1 - They can't find the A&M Quad Masters (if they even exist anymore)
#2 - Both of these albums have shitty Quad mixes.

Yes; Shitty. Joe Cocker is the stereo mix passed through some sort of passive matrix or simply has the rear channels compressed all to hell. Shinin' On is again, the stereo mix with drums subtracted from the rear. Un-Inventive, placid and boring.

The only Capitol titles worth a damn are "The Joker" (which, if you ask me, is TOO discrete) and maybe The Righteous Brothers Q8.
None of the Grand Funk ones are any good.

So, I hope they're stereo only so I don't have to buy two lack-luster Quad mixes I'll never play.

Shinin' On by Grand Funk Railroad and Joe Cocker - Hybrid Stereo SACDs from Audio Fidelity.
Now available for pre-orders from Elusive Disc. Release date: January 27, 2017.

Jan 2017 - Stereo SACDs from Audio Fidelity.jpg

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Grand-Funk-Railroad-Shinin-On-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/AFSA251/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Joe-Cocker-Joe-Cocker-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/AFSA249/

After the critical comments here on QQ Forum about the lack of quality of the Quad mixes of these two albums, not surprising that Audio Fidelity found them more suitable for Stereo release on SACD vs. Stereo & Multichannel.

After the critical comments here on QQ Forum about the lack of quality of the Quad mixes of these two albums, not surprising that Audio Fidelity found them more suitable for Stereo release on SACD vs. Stereo & Multichannel.

Yes, maybe. So might that mean, that these STEREO SACD sound amazing? Or, they too are mediocre? Either way....not much interest from me.

Not maybe. It is a factor in deciding which path to follow.

What? Were there comments about the quality of Quad on these way before the final decision to go Stereo and not Multi-channel? Or you simply mean, many noted the Quad wasn't that great...and it's not surprising about the outcome? Probably the latter...

What? Were there comments about the quality of Quad on these way before the final decision to go Stereo and not Multi-channel?

Yes.

Remember that these are Surround recordings from the 1970's. So there is a history of comments on these Quad recordings (and others) that date from the '70s to today.
It's a factor in deciding what albums are issued as Stereo SACDs and which are Multichannel SACDs.

Yes.

Remember that these are Surround recordings from the 1970's. So there is a history of comments on these Quad recordings (and others) that date from the '70s to today.
It's a factor in deciding what albums are issued as Stereo SACDs and which are Multichannel SACDs.

OK, thanks Brian. That is clear now. :)

I can't imagine these being in Quad for two reasons:

#1 - They can't find the A&M Quad Masters (if they even exist anymore)
#2 - Both of these albums have shitty Quad mixes.

Yes; Shitty. Joe Cocker is the stereo mix passed through some sort of passive matrix or simply has the rear channels compressed all to hell. Shinin' On is again, the stereo mix with drums subtracted from the rear. Un-Inventive, placid and boring.

The only Capitol titles worth a damn are "The Joker" (which, if you ask me, is TOO discrete) and maybe The Righteous Brothers Q8.
None of the Grand Funk ones are any good.

So, I hope they're stereo only so I don't have to buy two lack-luster Quad mixes I'll never play.

I cant speak to the Joe Cocker release, but I agree the GF leaves a lot to be desired in terms of mix. Still, IMO Shinin' On is 10 times better than the Quad release of American Band which has to be one of the five worst quad mixes i've ever heard.

But crap x 10 is still pretty much crap.

I think omitting the quad mix of Shinin' On in particular is a real missed opportunity, especially considering a stereo SHM-SACD of this album came out in Japan a couple of years ago. There's more going on in the rears than just the full mix minus drums, a lot of which is obscured by the terrible fidelity of the Capitol Q8 tapes, which I think are probably second only the the UA tapes when it comes to bad frequency response.

There's so much good music out there that was never mixed for quad that would be more than suitable for stereo SACD release, it's disappointing (especially for me personally) that AF continues to buy up the rights to albums that have quad mixes and not release the quad mix.

It makes sense to me that if the AF Surround SACD program has been scaled back to the point that titles like BS&T's Greatest Hits did not merit a surround release, then either of these titles should not even be considered for surround as their quad mixes are far inferior to the mix on the BS&T GH album.

If quad SACDs are to be "special", then let's hope that the titles chosen for release are really special. IMHO, these two titles may be valid stereo releases, but because of their questionable quad mixes, I believe it was a good decision NOT to add quad to these.

That being said, if quad was a non-issue with regards to what gets released, and the sales figures of any particular disc would not reflect poorly on any format decision, then I would be all for adding the quads to these.

Do you follow me? Or am I rambling again? :confused:

It makes sense to me that if the AF Surround SACD program has been scaled back to the point that titles like BS&T's Greatest Hits did not merit a surround release, then either of these titles should not even be considered for surround as their quad mixes are far inferior to the mix on the BS&T GH album.

If quad SACDs are to be "special", then let's hope that the titles chosen for release are really special. IMHO, these two titles may be valid stereo releases, but because of their questionable quad mixes, I believe it was a good decision NOT to add quad to these.

That being said, if quad was a non-issue with regards to what gets released, and the sales figures of any particular disc would not reflect poorly on any format decision, then I would be all for adding the quads to these.

Do you follow me? Or am I rambling again? :confused:

Rambling My ASS!!!!! Snood is on to you Jon!!! :rolleyes:

Reading between the lines here.......with Snood's JonUrban super secret decoder ring finally somewhat decoded :yikes

Not sure what this means.........

but this JonUrban post decodes to:

"AF please release all ENOCH LIGHT QUADS to QUAD SACD" :mad:@: (yes the googly eyed smiley is somehow decoded too)

Ok me Snood again.........took me minutes to decipher this Jon post and me still wondering what plant Jon might be smoking :smokin Enoch Light??? hmmmmmm Snood must research more:xp:

What dooooooooooooooooooooes this mean?????? :worthy

Hahaha... my overly critical voice is heard? Oh, the power this Keyboard Crusader holds! lol :mad:@:

Honestly, it's probably a good thing these are stereo-only releases. To pay a premium for a lack-luster Quad mix would probably turn a lot of people off.
Save the Quad layer for the really eye-opening stuff.

Wrong thread I know, and feel free to move this comment, but anything more possibly coming down the pipe from the old RCA catalog?

More Guess Who? How about The Youngbloods? Hues Corporation? Jose Feliciano? All of these have great Quad mixes and many have probably not seen an SACD release nor even a stereo CD release in many years.

I'd be all for some Enoch Light or even anything from Japan. I've been listening to Hot Butter in the car the last couple days and if that could be found in a discrete source? That'd be awesome.

Hahaha... my overly critical voice is heard? Oh, the power this Keyboard Crusader holds! lol :mad:@:

Honestly, it's probably a good thing these are stereo-only releases. To pay a premium for a lack-luster Quad mix would probably turn a lot of people off.
Save the Quad layer for the really eye-opening stuff.

Wrong thread I know, and feel free to move this comment, but anything more possibly coming down the pipe from the old RCA catalog?

More Guess Who? How about The Youngbloods? Hues Corporation? Jose Feliciano? All of these have great Quad mixes and many have probably not seen an SACD release nor even a stereo CD release in many years.

I'd be all for some Enoch Light or even anything from Japan. I've been listening to Hot Butter in the car the last couple days and if that could be found in a discrete source? That'd be awesome.

I'm not sure that these two are great titles for AF to be investing their resources in. I would try for War - "The world is a Ghetto" with quad layer (I think that was a Q8 in its day?, or Japan cd-4?), something more of an event album, something very special. And if they can't get a special title at this time, then take a break and play the waiting game.

Don't see a thread but another stereo AF release that I listened to earlier today was Rage Against The Machine, Evil Empire, quite good, very enjoyable, if you like that kind of music. As it is a studio album the sonics come through much better than say Lotus, for example.

Back