ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had much luck with 2nd hand discs, so I only buy them if they're deleted. But I have been buying 2nd hand SQ vinyl...all I need now is the Involve box

wow really!? I don't know where I'd be without the 2nd hand SACD/DVDA/DTS market (a bit richer perhaps!) I certainly wouldn't have anywhere near the number of surround discs without it.. the used vinyl markets more fraught online where condition is everything and personally arranging for someone to be in to collect a parcel of an LP or LPs is more of a hassle for me than I can be bothered with these days but if it works for you that's grrrrooovy! (y)

I'm always looking out for new music so I just had a listen to the 16 Horsepower, if the CD/DVD wasn't so expensive (even 2nd hand) I'd have got it, and new from the USA would have been crazy after P&P & TAX by the time it got to the UK. So I've bought the CD only version!

If you haven't already try listening to Gillian Welch's CDs "Time (The Revelator)", "Hell Among The Yearlings", & "The Harrow & The Harvest".

I only got it in the last year or so for about a tenner (used) w/packaging more worn than I'd like but DVDA flawless, which is why I bought it anyhoo, so it does come up :)

if you have a car with a factory installed surround system or one you installed yourself (DVD-Audio, SACD, DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Q8 or something else), please respond to this thread and tell us:

What year, make and model of car: 2009 Lexus ES350

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed):Factory installed

What surround formats can you play:DTS CD, DVD-Audio

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others:
Levinson system. Sounds fantastic in surround. Very quiet car helps a ton too.

ok, so not that anybody asked or cares but here is my review on the jvc-kd dvd-audio capable head unit; BUY it Now,before it's gone, at $158 usd it is a steal. it plays mlp and dts flawlessly, albeit not quite up to the punch of my kenwood xxv or my pioneer avhp but i paid $900 for the kenwood and $1200 for the pioneer something like 12 years ago. it did however outperform my panasonic dehq unit ($600) ( pre ELS mod). no it won't play watermarked dvd-a copies but neither do any of the others. (in other words it does not ignore watermarks) mdmost was absolutely right this little unit can not be beat for the money. i bought one on his advice just for the hell of it, now granted i connected it to a fully amped, high end series of equipment and this thing performed like a champ again recomendation = buy now

What year, make and model of car: 2014 Acura RDX (AWD with Technology Package)

Did you install it yourself? (if not factory installed): No - Factory Installed

What surround formats can you play: DVD-Audio, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: This is an Acura/ELS Premium Sound System, designed by Elliot Schiener and manufactured by Panasonic. It's the reason why I purchased this vehicle instead of a BMW X3. Overall, I am very pleased with the sound quality, although the low-end/subwoofer output could be improved. This sound system is only available as part of the Technology Package and is not available as a standalone option.

Has anyone with an Acura/ELS system tried playing back MP3 that are encoded in the MP3 Surround format?

I have happy news to add to the thread, Porsche Bose and Burmester sound systems support DVDA DTS and DD

What year, make and model of car: 2011 Porsche Panamera 4S

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed):Factory installed

What surround formats can you play: DTS, DVD-Audio, DD

I have the Bose (wish I had the Burmester) and it is very good, it is not as good as the HK in the Merc ML63 but sounds better than the HK in the Merc CLS 350, now the Burmester would be something to envy, well the car thats another matter, it is something special

I am rescinding my positive review of the jvc head unit on this thread after spending more time with it I honestly can't recommend this one to anybody, overall good seperation but poor sonics.

Well I just jump into the modern world.
I picked up a jvc kd-avx2 for 220.00 locally and will be putting it into a 1992 subaru svx
wish me luck. It has a door that covers up everything just hope it fits. also already has tweeters up in the dash and rca cables and remote trigger to the back will be using focal speakers will have to figure out a center speaker. just the beginning for the car new struts and brakes also tires and bigger sway bars.can you say zoom zoom i can't heir you my quad is to loud. I'm old and slow so won't be on the road till spring.
Jim

Well I just jump into the modern world.
I picked up a jvc kd-avx2 for 220.00 locally and will be putting it into a 1992 subaru svx
wish me luck. It has a door that covers up everything just hope it fits. also already has tweeters up in the dash and rca cables and remote trigger to the back will be using focal speakers will have to figure out a center speaker. just the beginning for the car new struts and brakes also tires and bigger sway bars.can you say zoom zoom i can't heir you my quad is to loud. I'm old and slow so won't be on the road till spring.
Jim

Youhave an SVX. Sweet. I just sold mine a couple months back. Had a 94. Absolutely loved that car but circumstances forced me to sell it.. Great car. Good luck with the surround.

What year, make and model of car: 2017 Audi A4 Prestige

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory Bang & Olufsen system

What surround formats can you play: multichannel FLAC, WMA 9/10, DVD-Audio (all confirmed). Supposed to also be able to play DVD-Video.

I find the sound to be well-balanced, if a little light on the bass. Definitely recommend this system if you are buying an A4. The flexibility of formats is (for me) car-surround heaven.

What year, make and model of car: 2009 Acura MDX Tech

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory Panasonic ELS system

What surround formats can you play: DVD-Audio, dts CD

Very well balanced sound.

What year, make and model of car: 2004 Acura TL

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory Panasonic ELS system

What surround formats can you play: DVD-Audio, dts CD

Bass is a little muddy compared to my other two cars. Plays dts CD's poorly -- frequent loud pops of noise when playing back make dts CDs unlistenable. This was fixed in later iterations of the ELS system.

I'd be curious to know if your Audi really plays DVD-Video. It's a surprise to me that a new car is playing DVD-Audio - hell, it's a surprise that a new car still is playing discs!

My 2014 Audi A4 Technik SE plays DVD-Video on the SatNav/Control panel in the centre of the dashboard, but obviously not when moving. I've even tested Nosound's "Scintilla" and others on it. When I got the car in 2014 I didn't have the B&O option fitted as it output only simulated surround, which I thought was absolutely dumb! So I went for the additional 6 CD changer as I've a long commute.

I'd be curious to know if your Audi really plays DVD-Video. It's a surprise to me that a new car is playing DVD-Audio - hell, it's a surprise that a new car still is playing discs!

I did a more careful check with a few different discs. It plays DVD-Videos, not DVD-Audios. Sorry for the error.

Phantom center! I corrected a problem with my JVC installation. Moved it from a '99 Camry to '06 Camry with JBL amp. With the JVC as only a head unit I could mix center with L/R. Made a passive sum mixer/adapter with four 10K resistors. Now I can hear Andy Partridge without digging out the remote and selecting DTS. Sounds great. A little bass heavy but that's how the car/amp/speakers always sounded. I might even add a sub (after I get the rack-and-pinion replaced but that's another story).

Never even occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to play DVD video music discs in the car because of the restriction on playing video while driving. So that's (really) why DVD-A was developed.
?

Back