Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed "The Flaming Lips' DVD-As last night (phenomenal mixes) and was wondering... has anyone here purchased "Zaireeka" and tried making it into a quad using the 4 discs that come with it? I was thinking of purchasing it to try this, but thought I'd find out if it's worth the trouble.

Also, I would love suggestions on the mixing... would it be best to merge each stereo track and have it come from a single corner speaker, or spread the left/right of one stereo track across the front, another across each side, and the last across the back?

Enjoyed "The Flaming Lips' DVD-As last night (phenomenal mixes) and was wondering... has anyone here purchased "Zaireeka" and tried making it into a quad using the 4 discs that come with it? I was thinking of purchasing it to try this, but thought I'd find out if it's worth the trouble.

Also, I would love suggestions on the mixing... would it be best to merge each stereo track and have it come from a single corner speaker, or spread the left/right of one stereo track across the front, another across each side, and the last across the back?

Good question.

I'm curious too , and wonder if anyone with the "wherewithall" gave this quad mix a modern technologies try .

whbwh_zpsobdxf8ow.jpg

:smokin

Snood got his today and :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: MCH/Stereo SACD Awesome - front case got cracked, but for 12.99 plus 5.25 shipping NEW!!! :mad:@:

Seriously thought it was gonna be a weird stereo only DVD :yikes

Nice Nice Nice :banana::banana::banana:

Congratulations to ALL QQ'S who have finally obtained a marvelous Bryan Ferry Surround Sound title !!!! :cool:
And thanx to Fred for obtaining the link from others for others.:upthumb

I've had this for a number of years and find it's so good, I must re-listen to my DVDA copy periodically .
(Love the last track which features the return to Roxy Music(-sort of-) by Brian Eno.

Happy listening All .:sun

Oh... My... God!!! :yikes That's the album where you need 4 different sources that are synced together to play the album properly, isn't it? If you could figure out how to sync all 4 and combine that into a singular quad presentation, that could be like whole other level shit! :confused: :worthy As for your question, in my opinion, I would say Discrete! Discrete! Discrete! Discrete!
:51banana:

Edit: Wait, I just figured out that there is a combined 4 sets of stereo pairs. :mad:@: Maybe do FRONT Left & Right for one pair/RIGHT Front & Back for one pair/ REAR Left & Right for one pair/LEFT Front & Back for one pair. Wow. :phones Good luck! I'd love to hear it! :banana:

Re-Edit: If there is a pair that is more 'foundation' re: main drums and bass, I'd use that as Front. If there's a pair that is mostly effects/keyboard/percussion, I'd use that as Rear. Any main guitar and/or keyboard rhythm or melody, I would use as Left & Right.

re:Re-Edit: Logistics of listening to Zaireeka:

The speakers being used may be physically positioned in many different configurations (e.g. at different heights or even in entirely different rooms). Some listeners may even choose to disable the left or right speaker of one or more systems. Synchronization errors between the audio systems may cause effects such as reverb or echo being heard on one disc before the original sound is produced from another. Further, the type and quality of each audio system affects the relationship between the four CDs

Zaireeka is viewed by the band as nothing more than an experimental release. "It was, and still is, intended to be listened to by other artists, musicians and producers," Coyne would later state in the liner notes for The Soft Bulletin 5.1, adding that they "never expected the less involved members of our audience to care about it."

Oh... My... God!!! :yikes That's the album where you need 4 different sources that are synced together to play the album properly, isn't it? If you could figure out how to sync all 4 and combine that into a singular quad presentation, that could be like whole other level shit! :confused: :worthy As for your question, in my opinion, I would say Discrete! Discrete! Discrete! Discrete!
:51banana:

Edit: Wait, I just figured out that there is a combined 4 sets of stereo pairs. :mad:@: Maybe do FRONT Left & Right for one pair/RIGHT Front & Back for one pair/ REAR Left & Right for one pair/LEFT Front & Back for one pair. Wow. :phones Good luck! I'd love to hear it! :banana:

Re-Edit: If there is a pair that is more 'foundation' re: main drums and bass, I'd use that as Front. If there's a pair that is mostly effects/keyboard/percussion, I'd use that as Rear. Any main guitar and/or keyboard rhythm or melody, I would use as Left & Right.

re:Re-Edit: Logistics of listening to Zaireeka:

The speakers being used may be physically positioned in many different configurations (e.g. at different heights or even in entirely different rooms). Some listeners may even choose to disable the left or right speaker of one or more systems. Synchronization errors between the audio systems may cause effects such as reverb or echo being heard on one disc before the original sound is produced from another. Further, the type and quality of each audio system affects the relationship between the four CDs

Zaireeka is viewed by the band as nothing more than an experimental release. "It was, and still is, intended to be listened to by other artists, musicians and producers," Coyne would later state in the liner notes for The Soft Bulletin 5.1, adding that they "never expected the less involved members of our audience to care about it."

Great info and suggestions! Thanks (and if it sounds good, I'll PM you;))

Great info and suggestions! Thanks (and if it sounds good, I'll PM you;))
I will reiterate: Wow! Good luck cracking this gem open for us! If each separate album has the exact same run-time, that should make things much more simple, with less space/time anomalies. Disconnecting speakers and after-effects before the real sound? 'Pre-verb'? Is that a real thing? :p Should I copyright the term: 'Pre-verb'?

Neat trick: Big early gated reverb: ie: Phil Collins snare/tom sound: 1) Record drums. 2) Add lots of reverb with gate effect (gate chops off sound once it gets so quiet, so the sound is immediately exaggerated and huge, but once it hits, it gets 'chopped off' on the real sound, but has residual 'room' reverb.

You can also record a drum part, then play it backwards and add reverb while playing it backwards, which creates that fade-in swell effect, once played forward again. :)

Snood got his today and :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: MCH/Stereo SACD Awesome - front case got cracked, but for 12.99 plus 5.25 shipping NEW!!! :mad:@:

Seriously thought it was gonna be a weird stereo only DVD :yikes

Nice Nice Nice :banana::banana::banana:

I received my copy of Bryan Ferry's Frantic today and of course expected the SACD like the rest of you have got. To my big surprise I actually received the DVD-Audio, listening to the 5.1 MLP 88.2k as I write this. Packaged in a SACD jewel case with both the DVD-Audio and the Compact Disc logotype on it.

Very strange, to say the least, but no complaining from my side ;), sounds excellent by the way.

Anyone else that have received the DVD-Audio?

Back