What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Krakauer, Matt Haimovitz & Friends, Akoka: Reframing Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time (Pentatone Oxingale Series PTC 5186 560). Hybrid Multichannel SACD reissue. (Got it from Presto Classical.)

Leonard Bernstein/Stephen Sondheim, West Side Story. San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas (SFS Media SFS 0059). Hybrid Multichannel SACD.

Thought about the Beatles box set then decided to see what else I could get for the money. Using a combination of Amazon marketplace sellers, ebay and Discogs I bought (many from recommendations on here) the following:

Dar Williams The Green World DVD-A £3.99
Dar Williams The Beauty of the Rain Dual Disc £2.19
Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On Blu-ray £6.36
ELO Zoom Live Tour DVD £4.96
Alan Parsons Symphonic Project Blu-ray £6.97
The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach SACD £12.00
Elton John Peach Tree Road SACD £6.00
Rory Gallagher Big Guns SACD x2 £6.10
Jean Michel Jarre Live In China DVDx2 +CD £10.50
Fleetwood Mac Say You Will DVD-A £12.50
Dire Straits Alchemy Live Blu-ray £8.37
RPWL Wanted CD+DVD £7.04

Total cost, which includes all postage charges, £86.98 which is the same as the cheapest offer I saw for the Beatles via Amazon.de

I'll try to post a review in a couple weeks. Right now, I have a backlog of 1st time listens. Kraftwerk 3D Blu-Rays, 13 Beach Boys SACD's, 2 Tomitas (& more on the way), Garcia/Grisman SACD, Bloomfield box, Sgt. Pooper, and Manny Moore. Manny appears on several other folks' albums. Evidently, he gets lots of session work.

How are these, Mamita Linda...??? I', guessing , just the mixes are worth the price of admission...

Miles Davis - In a silent way SACD
Another disc through discogs to an reasonable price.
This is really an fantastic album with excellent surround!

A great one, this....and listen, during the opening track, for someone either dropping a glass or a set of car keys nine or ten minutes in. Played this for my brother while he was visiting, and the sound of something dropping is jarring, but in a fun way, as if, whatever it was, wasn't worth editing out (these days, it would be digitally removed, 'course).

ED :)

DVDA.jpg

You never know what you'll find.

just in case you don't have it already? his S/T album was released in Surround on DVD-Audio

Just to name-drop, I had a Mexican lunch with Phish and the owners of Alembic in Santa Rosa, CA, back in the early 90s.

There, got that off my chest -- it was actually awkward, as no one knew what to say to the other :lookaround

Today, I received from Vocalion - Floyd Cramer (The Young and The Restless/Super Country Hits)

It arrived in good time, and perfect condition. I'm really digging Vocalion.

:)

Just listened to a few songs, and I think this is simply amazing. I love it. One of my favorites. :)

Great find at the library for sure.

Too bad that the mix is one of the worst attempts at surround. It is an overly compressed and wasted effort.

If only Elliot Scheiner would have had the oppotunity to mix this album...

Too bad that the mix is one of the worst attempts at surround. It is an overly compressed and wasted effort.

Agree, loud and compressed - but the cd is worse - so it's anyways a better sounding digital choice, the songs are great.

According to DR-Database, the stereo track is the same wreck as the CD, but the surround track (at least when downmixed) is much more dynamic and not inappropriate for this sort of music.

Back