DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I don't have any of those Quadro Surroundsound DVD~As, a quick question? Are they DVD~A R's or commercially duplicated DVD~As?

On pg. 30 of the instruction manual it does state that the unit should play DVD~R/DVD~RW but in footnote #4 it states:" Some DVD~Audio discs have hidden group and need password entry. Refer to the disc for the password." This is alien to me as I've never heard of a password entry for DVD~A. Perhaps a call to SONY can resolve this dilemma.

Another [albeit remote] possibility. Do these Quadro Surroundsound DVD~As contain any PAL material. DVD PAL (NOT BD~V) will play on the OPPOs but NOT on this SONY player....again, page 30 of the instruction manual.

Thanks for the reply. The discs look to me to be DVD-A "R's" You can see the burn patterns on the discs. Don't know if they are Pals. They certainly could be. Yes my OPPOs do play them. I just got the 203, but had to take it out since it was giving me so many other problems. I am certain OPPO will get things ironed out.

Dietrich from Quadro e-mailed me and he is also looking into the problem.

Report on the UBP-x800.
I bought it on the "big river" at $229. With prime free shipping, the deal for two free UHD discs and free snack, when ordered, seemed too good to be true.
Plugged it in today. Does not seem to recognize burned DVD-As!
Commercial DVD-As are fine.
Sounds great on those, SACD, BLu Ray, DTS 24/96 DVD, etc.
Great deal, grateful I still have a good working Oppo.

I'll check the Quadro discs with the X800...it's played everything else so far. I only have the one from Ogre but that should be enough for a test.

I played the Chicago Blu Ray Quad Box. It is all good.

Again, I think this one only fails at burned DVD-As. (though maybe there is a +R vs. -R difference, though, I doubt it.

All in all for a 4k UHD Blu Ray that plays SACD and DVD-A at $229, this is a very good deal.

It even has separate audio HDMI out!

Doesn't play burned SACDs either on my testing. Plays multi channel flacs over the network just fine though.

Sent from my Elephone_P3000S using Tapatalk

I like the x800, but I'm considering putting it in tandem with the Oppo 93 it replaced. The file playback and 4k support are wonderful, but there are too many niggling bugs and such. Also, the fact that I need to use dual hdmi to play back anything through my 2011 vintage AVR is a strike against it. It's a really good player, and I suspect it especially shines with a new AVR that supports 4k.

Back